Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

broncos anderson gets caught at the wrong place at the wrong time

Leonard Washington

:cannibis: :movefast:

November 11, 2003

DENVER (AP) -- Broncos fullback Mike Anderson was suspended for four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Anderson will lose about $317,000 of his $1.35 million salary and won't be eligible to return until after Denver's Dec. 8 game against Kansas City, the league said Tuesday.

The NFL did not detail the violation.

Anderson told The Denver Post he tested positive for marijuana, but said he only inhaled secondhand smoke. He said he presented such evidence from a toxicologist in an appeal to the NFL.

``I'm very saddened by the decision made by the NFL,'' Anderson told the newspaper. ``I know this has a tremendous negative impact on my team, my coaches, my family and fans.''

Anderson is one of the most popular Broncos, an ex-Marine with a clean-cut image. Under NFL policy, a suspension doesn't come until after at least one positive test and the player has entered a confidential drug-testing program.

Anderson's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, said his client will consider legal action against the NFL.

``We're looking at all possibilities in this situation, including trying to get the NFL to take a more serious look at the impacts of its policy and how it affects players who are not involved in any type of improper drug usage,'' Steinberg told the Post.

Anderson was the league's offensive rookie of the year in 2000, when he rushed for 1,487 yards and 15 touchdowns after replacing injured starter Olandis Gary. Anderson moved to fullback last year after Denver drafted Clinton Portis, and he has served as the backup tailback.

He has 198 yards rushing and two touchdowns and 10 catches for 42 yards and two TDs this season.

Losing Anderson leaves Denver with three running backs on its active roster: Portis, Reuben Droughns and rookie Quentin Griffin.

Originally posted by NavyDave

I'd buy it if he was in a volkswagon beetle with Bob marley, Dr Dre, snoop and woody harrelson

My ASAP teacher gave a similar situation. He said you could be in that car and would NOT test positive.

So I'm calling BS on Mr. Anderson.

Marijuana should be decriminalized and taken off the "performance-enhancing" list.

(unless the sport is hot dog eating)

:D

Archived