Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Wannstedt to Meet With Dolphins Owner

TK

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/7229943.htm

Wannstedt to Meet With Dolphins Owner

Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. - After losing for the third time in four games, Miami coach Dave Wannstedt gets a chance to convince his boss the Dolphins can turn around their season.

Wannstedt said Monday that team owner Wayne Huizenga asked to meet with him this week.

"He's probably disappointed, but I think he's got confidence that we can get this turned around and going in the right direction," Wannstedt said.

Huizenga might want to know how a team with so much talent on defense and the NFL's leading rusher a year ago looked so helpless in a 31-7 loss at Tennessee on Sunday, which dropped the Dolphins to 5-4.

Ricky Williams, who led the NFL with 1,853 yards rushing last season, has gone six consecutive weeks without a 100-yard game. The Dolphins had five turnovers Sunday.

"I'm the guy that needs to worry about the entire team," Wannstedt said. "Everybody else just needs to focus in on their responsibility in making sure that they're playing at the highest level that they can possibly play."

Rams

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Marc Bulger has a firm grip on the St. Louis Rams' quarterback job, no matter how awful he's looked lately.

In the last two games, Bulger has one touchdown pass and four interceptions. He misfired throughout Sunday's 33-22 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, managing a career-worst 110 yards passing as the Rams leaned heavily on a defense that produced seven turnovers.

It got to the point where coach Mike Martz considered inserting deposed starter Kurt Warner, the two-time MVP. But Martz isn't ready for a controversy yet.

"I thought about it because of some of the things he'd missed in the passing game that I know Kurt would not miss," Martz said Monday. "But that's a hard thing to do.

"It's a hard thing for me to do, and I just felt like he'd recover well enough, and that the defense had enough control of the game that we could leave him in there and let him rebound."

Bulger is 12-3 during his brief tenure as the starter; Warner was 13-2 in his first 15 starts.

But lately, Bulger has seemed to hit a wall. Against the Ravens he was consistently off the mark, throwing ahead, behind or above his targets.

"There's no excuse for how I played," Bulger said. "I knew where I wanted to go with the ball on some of the throws, but just wasn't putting it where I wanted to."

Panthers

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Stephen Davis, the NFC's leading rusher, is still bothered by a sprained ankle and his status is unknown for Carolina's game against Washington.

Davis, who has 992 yards rushing this season, missed the Panthers' 27-24 victory over Tampa Bay because of the injury. Although he did not practice last week, he had said there was "no doubt" he would face the Bucs.

But coach John Fox said the ankle was still bothering him Sunday morning.

"He's a warrior, he wanted to play. But sometimes you have to use judgment over that," Fox said.

Davis has made little secret of his animosity toward the Redskins after they released him over the winter. He felt he was cast off because coach Steve Spurrier didn't think Davis fit into his passing-dominated offense.

Bills

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Bills receiver Eric Moulds is still bothered by a groin injury and expects to play hurt the rest of the season.

"I'm basically about 80 percent," Moulds said Monday, a day after he managed just five catches for 32 yards in Buffalo's 10-6 loss at Dallas.

The game was Moulds' second after he missed two straight with a slight groin tear. Moulds said he's having difficulty running deep routes and can feel soreness when he's tackled, which has led him to sliding more after he makes a catch.

"Mentally, you go out there and play and not worry about the injury, but at the same time you can feel it and it's there," Moulds said. "I need a rest, but we don't have another bye week, so it's going to be an injury that's going to hamper me for the rest of the season."

Vikings

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - Minnesota Vikings special teams standout and backup safety Jack Brewer might need season-ending surgery on his right shoulder.

Brewer was hurt making a tackle on a kickoff in the Vikings' loss to San Diego on Sunday.

Brewer missed the first three games with a bruised chest. After making the team last year as an undrafted rookie from Minnesota, Brewer led the Vikings with 26 special-teams tackles in 2002.

Patriots

FOXBORO, Mass. (AP) - The Patriots are hoping some of their players on a long injury list can make it back onto the field soon.

Defensive lineman Ted Washington and linebacker Ted Johnson could practice this week in preparation for Sunday night's game against Dallas (7-2). Johnson broke his foot in Week 1 and hasn't been back. Washington broke his leg in Week 3 and has been out since.

"It is getting close," coach Bill Belichick said of their return. "Whether we are there or not, I can't say for sure right now."

The Patriots (7-2) have been one of the most battered teams in the NFL, posting a double-digit injury report for five straight weeks. Still, they've won five games in a row.

Colts

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Edgerrin James wants more work. Apparently, Marvin Harrison does, too.

While two of the Indianapolis Colts' most dangerous offensive weapons did not openly criticize the play-calling or personnel decisions in Sunday's 28-23 loss at Jacksonville, both would like to be more involved in the offense.

"I wear people down," James said. "With this new trend we've got going, you've just got to make plays when you go out there."

James and Harrison have played prominent roles in the Colts' success since 1999. Against Jacksonville, however, they were used sparingly and sometimes not at all.

Harrison, a four-time Pro Bowler and the only player in NFL history with four straight 100-reception seasons, caught one pass for a 30-yard touchdown on the game's opening series. He didn't catch another, sidelined by a strained hamstring.

It was Harrison's lowest reception total since his rookie season of 1996.

Archived