Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GovExec.com: Lawmakers Push for 3.9 Percent 'Emergency' COLA in 2016

Fergasun

GovExec.com: Lawmakers Push for 3.9 Percent 'Emergency' COLA in 2016

Retired federal employees should receive at least as much of a raise next year as private sector CEOs, according a bicameral group of Democratic lawmakers, which has proposed providing an “emergency payment” to make up for the lack of a cost-of-living adjustment in 2016.
The bill would apply to 70 million Americans who receive benefits from Social Security, veterans payments and other programs. The lawmakers proposed the measure after data from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics confirmed no COLA would be applied in 2016, as the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) did not tick up in 2015.

This makes for interesting politics - I will fall out of my chair if this goes anywhere. 

As a current Fed employee - this type of proposal looks like a slap in the face as we are getting a 1.3% inflation increase to our pay; why don't we deserve the same amount as the COLA? It is bad enough legislators have forgotten the 'military-civilian pay parity' and are giving military more of a raise.  

Officially I'm on track to get a 1.3% pay raise as a Federal Employee - and I'm thankful for that, but my actual raise will be closer to the 3% average in the private sector is getting as we have a "pay for performance" system in place where I work.

Oh yeah, forgot there is another "shutdown" potentially coming at the end of next week - at this point I'm not even sure I would take any "shutdown" talk seriously as it just is another word for "Congressional negotating session".

Archived