Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More Cap Room Needed?

shamaran

I don't know too much about THE CAP and don't really like the money-side of sports, but it seems the 'Skins must be getting pretty thin there?

I'm sure someone here knows exactley how much of the DEON-created capspace is left after the two most recent signings.

I'm wondering, who that has significant cap numbers might be cut to make more room if needed this year?

I sure hope it's not Green, who has been rumored to have been asked about retirement as recently as last week. What about Raymer? If Fischer is doing so well and Brandt is the stud everyone at Carlisle is saying, might it be Cory? We also have a bunch of guards that can play center too.

Other than those two, I can't think of a potential cut that would create much caproom. Anybody else?

I wrote yesterday that we'll have to make some room with a veteran cut or restructure somewhere to be comfortable under the cap when we go from the Rule of 51 to the final roster against the cap. After Deion's retirement, we had $4.1 million of free money, or there approximately. We signed Banks, Szott, Carter, Bankston, Boose and now Lyle to minimum contracts at varying degrees of minimum (from $418,000 to $477,000 depending on years of service). So let's just rough that up to $500,000 per guy and you go from $4.1 million to $1.1 million free. Then, when you add two more guys after final cuts to the total, at approximately $300,000 each, you are left with $500,000 or there abouts. Most teams want to have at least $1 million left over for emergency moves.

I think what we'll find is players like Mason, Derrius Thompson (almost $400,000 as opposed to Grimm at $209,000), Symonette are in danger of being cut to create a bit more room on cut day as players making less will probably have that factored in, whether performance is necessarily in line with it or not.

I don't think you'll see anything major, major, but, if you do, it will be as big as a guy like Greer, and that's about as rough as you'll see.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

As it happens, ESPN's John Clayton has a summary of all team's cap status as of two or so days ago. We're in relatively good cap shape to sign 1-2 more players.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

There's less challenge next year at this point than we created this year. Unless Westbrook breaks off a huge year and leaves and has big incentives kick in while he plays somewhere else, next year's cap is NOT daunting at this particular point in time. And, even if Westbrook does kick in, we'll not be paying George a $6 million base smile.gif

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Art, if the Redskins cut both Boose and Bankston they will have no backup players at DE or DT with any NFL experience.

I agree with you that Boose was an experiment to look at while Bruce and Marco missed some time. He is expendable.

But to cut Bankston as well to me indicates that the team still needs another player on the DL.

It is inconceivable to me that Marty would enter the season with no one but Ham behind the starters at DE.

Of course, another veteran could slide in and take the place of Bankston. smile.gif

Archived