Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Nework:Spurrier, Redskins take on Seahawks in must-win game

TK

http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/ABN2884021.htm

Spurrier, Redskins take on Seahawks in must-win game

(Sports Network) - Steve Spurrier was supposed to be the answer to all the Washington Redskins' problems. The old ball coach, who had never led a professional team, moved to D.C. with high hopes. Year 1 was a disappointment, but forgivable. Year 2 started with a bang, but has fallen apart and Spurrier is beginning to lack job security.

On Sunday, Spurrier will attempt to secure some support from owner Daniel Snyder when he leads the Redskins against the Seattle Seahawks at FedEx Field.

Since a 3-1 start, the Redskins have dropped four consecutive games to fall into the cellar of the NFC East. Ironically, the offense has been the problem for Spurrier, who was considered an offensive genius at the University of Florida. Even Spurrier's patented Fun'n'Gun hasn't been enough to pull the offense out of the doldrums.

"I'll do anything to try and win a ballgame," said Spurrier. "We've changed a lot from the style of play we used to have because when you don't make many first downs like we have the last few games -- I mean, we have a whole bunch of plays we haven't even called yet because we’re not out there that much. You have to have some success to have more success."

Washington missed a golden opportunity to get back into the East race this past week, as it dropped a 21-14 decision to the first place Dallas Cowboys at Texas Stadium. The Redskins' offense couldn't take advantage of four Dallas first half turnovers.

"We’re struggling a bit right now," Spurrier said. "Sure we have to make some adjustments here and there. Early in the year, we were moving the ball a lot better."

Seattle has established itself as the favorite to win the NFC West with an impressive 6-2 start to the year. The Seahawks own a one-game lead over second place St. Louis, while holding the head-to-head tiebreaker with it. Seattle continued its solid play last week in a 23-16 win over the reeling Pittsburgh Steelers. The Seahawks picked up their fourth victory by seven points or less this season.

"That’s what I told them after the game; maybe it’s just going to be just that kind of year," said head coach Mike Holmgren of the close wins. "That’s OK, as long as we continue to win most of them. As I told you a couple of weeks ago, it’s really hard on me, not that you care that much. [laughter] It’s hard."

SERIES HISTORY: The Redskins lead the all-time series, 6-4, after posting a 14-3 win in Seattle last season. Kenny Watson rushed for 110 yards on 23 carries, while Shane Matthews threw for a pair of touchdowns in the win. With the victory, the Redskins snapped a three-game series losing streak.

Spurrier is 1-0 against the Seahawks, while Holmgren is 0-2 versus the Redskins.

SEAHAWKS OFFENSE VS. REDSKINS DEFENSE

Seattle managed very little offense for three quarters against the Steelers, mustering just three Josh Brown field goals. Wideout Darrell Jackson was a big reason for the Seahawks' offensive struggles, dropping six passes in the first three quarters. Jackson recovered to make two crucial receptions in the all- important final stanza, including a 14-yard touchdown catch.

"At halftime, he was very emotional in the locker room. He cares about the team, and he felt he let people down in the first half," said Holmgren. "But football is football. There was no one in the stadium happier than I was; one, that we scored the touchdown, obviously, but two, that he did it. Because he is a good guy. He's pressing, and it happens. You see it in sports. Then he caught a huge one at the end. I was happy for him."

The Seahawks finished with 191 passing yards, as quarterback Matt Hasselbeck completed 18-of-31 passes for one touchdown. Hasselbeck went without an interception for the first time in the last six games. For the year, Hasselbeck has hit on 58.5 percent of his passes for 1,774 yards, 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Jackson and Koren Robinson have been effective weapons in the passing game this season, combining to post 59 catches for 973 yards and six touchdowns. Jackson is the team's leader with 30 receptions for 563 yards and four scores this season. Robinson actually left the Pittsburgh game with a hip injury, leaving most of the pressure on Jackson. Robinson is questionable for this game.

"Once he goes out, I think I'm next in line to make all of the big plays and carry the team at the wide receiver spot," said Jackson. "A little bit of that pressure falls on me. When both of us are in the game, I think that pressure is split. Once he goes out, it falls to me, and then it trickles down to Bobby or whoever is next. When I see him go out, I know I have to step up and make a big play."

The Seahawks' offense ranks eighth in the NFC in average yards (333.5 ypg), while sitting sixth in pass offense (209.1 ypg) and seventh in run offense (124.4 ypg). Top back Shaun Alexander has done a decent job on the ground, registering 78.9 yards per contest. Alexander managed just 48 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries (2.4 ypc) versus the Steelers.

Washington will need to gear up its run defense this week after surrendering 208 yards on 40 attempts (5.2 ypc) to the Cowboys last week. A large chunk of the Cowboys' running attack came on a reverse to wideout Terry Glenn, which resulted in a 47-yard gain. The Redskins must stay in their lanes and keep their assignments this week against Alexander and the Seahawks.

For the year, Washington is allowing 129.1 yards per contest (13th-NFC) on the ground, including 4.3 yards per carry. Stopping Alexander will be crucial to the success of the Redskins' defense this week. Linebackers Jessie Armstead, Jeremiah Trotter and LaVar Arrington must step up and make plays against the run. Armstead knows how important a win this week is.

"It’s a desperate situation," said Armstead. "People need to realize that we’re 3-5 and there’s no way to flip that or say it differently. We’re 3-5 and we need a win badly."

The Redskins have a bit of controversy on the defensive side of the ball, as future Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith is not happy with being benched in favor of Regan Upshaw. Smith, who is 1 1/2 sacks shy of Reggie White's NFL career record, failed to start a game in which he played in for the first time since 1986 against the Cowboys.

"I want to know what their intentions are," Smith said. "I have goals that I'd like to achieve myself, team goals and individual goals. And at some point in time in your career, you have to take a stance and be a little selfish. . . . I just didn't play very much. I don't know what the game plan was so far as the coaching staff was concerned, but this was the decision made by Steve Spurrier and that's what happened."

Part of the reason for the change was the Redskins' lack of a pass rush, as they have managed just 11 sacks (14th-NFC) on the year. Armstead is pacing the team in sacks (3 1/2) and tackles (51). Washington has added DT Darrell Russell to the fold to help in the trenches.

Seattle didn't protect Hasselbeck well last week, surrendering five sacks. The Redskins must take advantage of the Seahawks' shortcomings in pass protection this week.

Washington has a solid secondary led by All-Pro corner Champ Bailey, who has posted 37 stops and an interception. Bailey is one of the top cover corners in the league and should be matched up against Jackson this week. Strong safety Ifeanyi Ohalete leads the Redskins in interceptions (three). Starting corner Fred Smoot solidified his toughness last week playing with a bruised sternum.

"Fred showed a lot of heart," said Bailey. "I wasn’t even expecting him to play. For him to show up and be as effective as he was, I give him a lot of credit."

REDSKINS OFFENSE VS. SEAHAWKS DEFENSE

The Redskins' offensive problems begin with the offensive line and the lack of protection for quarterback Patrick Ramsey. On the season, Ramsey has been sacked 26 times and the team has surrendered an NFL-high 29 sacks.

"We’re struggling on offense. We’re trying not to get Patrick hit, we called a bunch of max protections. I guess we got confused or they brought a guy from a different area and we weren't smart enough to pick it up," Spurrier said after his team allowed four sacks to the Cowboys. "We all accept responsibility if we can't find out where they're coming from. That’s the way it happened."

With the constant beating, Ramsey has suffered numerous injuries, including a bruised left forearm and a dislocated little finger on his left hand. Despite the injuries, Ramsey plans on being in the lineup for this game.

"I'm sore [but] not anything that's going to keep me from playing," Ramsey said.

As a team, the Seahawks are in the middle of the pack in sacks with 16 on the year. Linebacker Chad Brown, a former Steeler, recorded the team's only two sacks versus Pittsburgh. Look for Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, who spent 2000 running the defense in Washington, to give the Redskins a lot of different looks.

Washington is particularly weak inside with young left guard Derrick Dockery holding down the fort for veteran Dave Fiore. Mental lapses and penalties have characterized Dockery's tumultuous campaign.

Making things worse for the Washington offensive line, it may be without starting center Larry Moore (sprained right foot) this week. Lennie Friedman likely would start in his place.

Off-the-field issues are hampering the Redskins' offensive improvement, as Spurrier and offensive line coach Kim Helton are constantly verbally sparring. The disagreements between the two have caused a breakdown in communication and it has shown on the field.

If and when Ramsey does get time in this game, he has a pair of talented wideouts in Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner to search out. Coles got into the end zone for just the second time this season against Dallas, while catching four balls for 27 yards. Meanwhile, Gardner was limited to one catch for 14 yards. Gardner has been used a bit less in the Redskins' past two games, as he has registered only three receptions for 42 yards and a score.

Seattle's secondary must be on high alert this week, as Coles and Gardner are very good at beating coverage. The Seahawks have a deep secondary with Shawn Springs healthy again. Springs has not gotten back into the starting lineup though, considering the excellent play of rookie Marcus Trufant. Last week, Trufant was second on the team with eight tackles.

The Seahawks aren't forcing turnovers like they were earlier this season, as they have gone two straight games without an interception. Someone in the Seattle secondary must step up and pick off an errant Ramsey pass this week.

It hasn't helped the Washington offense that it is using a different starting running back every week due to injuries. With the top four backs on the depth chart sidelined by the second quarter of last week's game, fullback Rock Cartwright was forced to become the featured back. Cartwright finished with 44 yards on eight attempts.

Original starter Trung Canidate, who has been sidelined for two games due to a sprained right ankle, will likely return this week. To spell Canidate, the Redskins have re-signed second-year running back John Simon.

Seattle did a nice job limiting the Steelers to just 3.5 yards per rush last week. Safety Damien Robinson, who replaced rookie Ken Hamlin in the lineup, led the way with nine stops in the contest for the Seahawks. Linebacker Anthony Simmons has been the Seahawks' best run stopper with a team-high 57 stops.

Something has to give for the Redskins and Spurrier. If things don't get better quick, the head man could find himself lounging in the Florida sun by the end of the season. Look for Washington to pull off an unexpected win over the Seahawks and curtail the bleeding for now.

Archived