Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WATCH LIVE: Jay Gruden At The Podium

I think one reason that people are calling this a good chance is because it completely removes next years $16M option due to it being guaranteed against injury. If they keep him through next year then it's a $16M cap hit for a possibly a backup QB.

If they cut him then the Skins eat about $6.7M (guaranteeed salary plus residual signing bonus) in dead money and get no cap savings. If they trade him they eat about $3.5M (residual signing bonus) in dead money. So the most they could save this year is about $3.2M (guaranteed salary) in a trade because the new team has to pay at least the current salary.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys (as I'm sure you will :rolleyes:) but because the option has already been exercised it follows him to the new team. I know they could restructure it into a signing bonus with new money but not sure if they have to pay the whole $16M in some manner.

I think one reason that people are calling this a good chance is because it completely removes next years $16M option due to it being guaranteed against injury. If they keep him through next year then it's a $16M cap hit for a possibly a backup QB.

If they cut him then the Skins eat about $6.7M (guaranteeed salary plus residual signing bonus) in dead money and get no cap savings. If they trade him they eat about $3.5M (residual signing bonus) in dead money. So the most they could save this year is about $3.2M (guaranteed salary) in a trade because the new team has to pay at least the current salary.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys (as I'm sure you will :rolleyes:) but because the option has already been exercised it follows him to the new team. I know they could restructure it into a signing bonus with new money but not sure if they have to pay the whole $16M in some manner.

You are right. However, Robert could wave that right. His agent will tell him no. But it's actually in his best interest to wave the option.

Edit:  He keeps his $3.?M no matter what. That is guaranteed. So he is probably best being released. I still think he will not get more than $1.5M with all kinds of injury clauses and escalators next year. But I could be wrong. 

Correct. The signing bonus portion goes on the Skins cap no matter what. He keeps his salary no matter what. Difference is if traded the salary comes off the new teams cap not the Redskins. If he gets cut or kept with the team then the Skins pay both, if traded just the signing bonus stays on the cap.

Link: http://overthecap.com/player/robert-griffin-iii/1459

For those not familiar with Over the Cap; select 'Trade' from the pull down menu under the 'Dead Money & Cap Savings' heading

Archived