Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5 Takeaways: Gruden's #SkinsDraft Presser

As far as SM goes, I think it was a terrible mistake to bring him on board for obvious reasons which I don't need to repeat...as for Callahan, yes he did some good work at OAK but again he got fired. In the NFL its not what you did in the past, its what have you done for me lately which is why I focused on DAL...and let me add this, I would not have a problem if he got elevated to HC when Gruden falls on his face again, and I would add I was all for hiring Gruden when he got here but I have soured on him and just don't have any confidence he has a clue what he is doing

Edit ...

I will just add two small points and let it go -

1. Both HC is the SB last year were fired in their first HC job, one of them twice. It's the nature of this business. John Fox has been fired by Carolina and Denver. Yet he had no problem getting a job in Chicago.

2. I expect us to struggle this year. We do still have majors holes missing. But what I expect to see is a nucleus of good team start to form. I called 5-11 or 6-10 even before the draft. It will likely be the same. Nothing changed my mind. Honestly it hinges on the QB more than anything. That's a whole other conversation, for which there are many existing threads to discuss.

which takes me to this...we have a HC and GM of which neither impress me...Gruden has earned my disdain and SM tired as hard as he could destroy his career and got very lucky the Redskins took him on board

Well what would you suggest from an owner who refuses to build a front office the right way?  Your problem is you don't realize the garbage state our roster is in and you don't realize we need to start over.  There were no players Scot could have drafted to make you happy.  You don't even know which players in this draft will pan out.  You don't know anything other than your disdain for SM, Gruden, etc.  Here is what I can guarantee.  Hit me back at the end of the season.  This draft is better than any Bruce Allen draft.  This team this year will be the best team we have fielded in years.  The division title year was all smoke and mirrors BTW.  The team wasn't that good, but made a miraculous run.

PM me when the season ends and say sorry I was wrong.  :D   Also it's Darrell Green B)

The division title year was all smoke and mirrors BTW.  The team wasn't that good, but made a miraculous run.

It was a sudden outburst of D to be exact -

1st 8 gms the D gave up 28.4 pts/gm. The last 8 (including the 7 gm winning streak) they gave up 20.1 pts gm. The 32 gms since? Back to 29+ pts/gm AVERAGE! This is no way saying it's all the D's fault. I am just agreeing that as it turns out we basically got lucky the last 7 gms to make it look good. It reverted back to it's old self the next season and has stayed that way.

I will readily admit to being tricked. I thought we turned the corner. All we did was make it look good for a year.

It was a sudden outburst of D to be exact -

1st 8 gms the D gave up 28.4 pts/gm. The last 8 (including the 7 gm winning streak) they gave up 20.1 pts gm. The 32 gms since? Back to 29+ pts/gm AVERAGE! This is no way saying it's all the D's fault. I am just agreeing that as it turns out we basically got lucky the last 7 gms to make it look good. It reverted back to it's old self the next season and has stayed that way.

I will readily admit to being tricked. I thought we turned the corner. All we did was make it look good for a year.

Agree.  I think Scot is doing the right thing.  He basically has cut some old guys, and picked free agents and draft picks to create competition at every position on the roster.  It wasn't a win this year approach, it was a rebuild approach.  I look forward to future years drafts.  Not to mention he already added a pick next year.

I really wish people would have patience and look at a team in a three year window.  For Scot, it's just the cusp of year 1.

Chipwhich, totally and completely argee..that was a false positive. Most of those games we barely won and many were by a fluke play..like the long TD run by Griffin against MN...and as we have seen in the last two years, MN has beaten us....that 10-6 record was rare to say the least to run the table in the last seven games. And of course after the season was over, the real team showed up...and Griffin, once his legs went and they are gone, the threat he once may have posed is long gone. Now DL run him down from behind. All that BS about, "all in for game one" was baseless and the record speaks to that. One real problem that was not addressed is the terrible situation we at the QB..we don't have a single even average NFL caliber QB on our team..combined the three we have were a combined 8 wins and 24 loss's so what did we do...we bring all three and somehow expect a different outcome. Cousins and McCoy won four games during the last two years...Griffin 4 and somehow for some inexplicable reason, we stand pat with those three. I don't know of one NFL team that has three totally incompetent QBs whose combined record is 8 wind and 24 loss's and doesn't make an effort to bring in a new QB...but we just simply ignore the problem...again I blame both the HC and GM for not addressing this issue.

I really wish people would have patience and look at a team in a three year window.  

How much patience does a person need to have? What happens after that 3 year window if nothing has changed? We wait ANOTHER 3 years? I don't know how long you've been a fan but I've been waiting for the last 20+ years to see any sign of improvement! When is enough... enough?

HTTR!!!

How much patience does a person need to have? What happens after that 3 year window if nothing has changed? We wait ANOTHER 3 years? I don't know how long you've been a fan but I've been waiting for the last 20+ years to see any sign of improvement! When is enough... enough?

HTTR!!!

Canada, I've been a fan since I can remember. Born in '66. Patience is a virtue but guess I'm not virtuous.

I agree with both Foster and Go. But if we don't see at least 6-10 next year it's going to be another coach, another system and another rookie Qb. I don't follow college, so I don't know if there's a Qb coming out next year that's worth a look, but I hope so. Now if Griff gets it together or KC or even CM I may have to change my view.

Yes I would of liked to see the first two rounds on OL but it's above my pay grade. But as the saying goes, time will tell.

HTTR

I am not sured record is going to matter much this year. It's going to depend more on how we play. if the team is not getting better as the season goes a long, then yes 6-10 will probably cost JG his job. However, if the team is showing solid improvement but it just doesn't turn into wins this year, he will OK.

I think a lot rests on what happens at QB. If one of those 3 emerge as being able to run the offense, at least well enough to be competitive, the D should be improved enough to improve by at least a few wins. Last year the D gave up 29 pts a gm. During our 7 gm win streak in 2012 they gave up 20 pts a gm.

If all you did was change nothing but the D give up no more than 20pts a gm, our record last yr would have been 7-9. That's 3 gm just from the D playing average, not great, just average. Just something to think about.

Go, that's what I meant to say. If there's improvement JG will be returning but if not probably gone. It does depend on the offense, if they can't stay on the field the D will suffer. All I want is improvement, tho the playoffs would be nice! But realistically I'm sure the playoffs won't happen.

HTTR

Archived