Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nightmare of a 21st Century Washington Redskins Fan

804_SKINS

I feel for those who were not around for 'th' good ol' days'.

Every weekend, hearing about teams not wanting to play against the Redskins, especially in Landover, because they would be in a 61 minute dog fight.

Just thinking about RFK and those days gone by gives me a little chub [ Rosie Odonnell naked Rosie Odonnell naked ] ok its gone. :P

I remember the 3 Superbowl wins.  The hope of winning again keeps me around.   But, it also frustrates me.  I remember how fun and exciting those times were.  I really don't see the Redskins winning as long as Snyder is the owner.  He's really good at making money, but not really shown he can build a successful organization and as long as the Redskins make lots of money nothing is going to change.  I had hope when Gibbs came back for a second run, but even Gibbs couldn't really fix it.  He was somewhat successful, but nothing like before.  My kids are not Redskins fans.  It's sad that I really won't pass that tradition on. 

Sports was quite enjoyable for me from 1981-1995, but especially in the 80s from age 20-27.  My favorite teams won often or was often in the hunt:

1982, 87, and 91 Redskins won the Super Bowl

1981, 84, and 86 Boston Celtics won the NBA title

1988 Notre Dame Fighting Irish won the national championship in football

1995 Atlanta Braves won the world series

From 1996-2014, only the 2007 Boston Celtics won a championship.  That's 19 years!  My favorite teams have all been garbage for quite some time now, and not just the Redskins, and it's taking a toll on my psyche.  I am now 53 and I don't see a championship on the horizon for any of my teams.  This drought also includes the Capitals who have never won the Stanley Cup. 

Having teams that used to win regularly turn into annual bottom feeders makes it even more painful to watch.  I never imagined that the Redskins or the Celtics would become what they have become!  I took my teams winning as much as they were for granted.  How I long for the good old days!

Archived