Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden or RG3? Who do you choose?

sparkosaurus

Gruden or RG3? Whom do you ride with?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. If you have to choose between keeping Gruden and cutting Griffin, or keeping Griffin and firing Gruden at the end of this season, what do you choose?

• I'm in it with RG3 for the long haul. RG3 all the way.
    • I'm in it with Gruden for the long haul. Gruden all the way.
    • I'd get rid of them both.
    • Let's talk about Hazlett instead...

I'm not sold on Gruden, but he was brought here and deserves a shot that isn't tainted by Robert's drama and lack. I do not think Jim should be fired, but he also wasn't Gruden's hire. After this year, we'll see what he  does with the QB situation (wich depending what he does may buy him another year) and what he does at DC (either way he'll be accountable.)

We'll also have to factor in the GM and what personnel authority Gruden is actually given, not that we can ever know for sure, but we have to take what we get. 

Lets put this in perspective people...

#1. We run a defense and scheme that was revolutionized in the early 90's!

#2. We run an offense that was revolutionized in the early 80's!!

#3. And both our head coach and D-Coordinator are traditionalist, so they stick to this scheme concept religiously!

We are severely behind the times! We drafted futuristic players to put them in a prehistoric system. How can noone else see this?? It's right in front of our eyes.  Look at Chip Kelly. He is reinventing the wheel over there with the offense that our QB ran in college! Look at Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.. they dont run a traditional west coast offense. They run a spread equipped with zone read even though we know they are not going to keep the football. Aaron Rogers hardly ever drops back anymore, he's straight back pedaling and throwing. Just like these QBs are doing in college. They are evolving, and their coaches are allowing them to evolve, while 70% of the league is copying something they learned from their protege in the 90's! 

Choosing Gruden is like choosing members only coats!  They're out of style!  You have to choose Griffin if not for the fact that he proved he could be the ROTY. What has Gruden proved except he could bring back Jim Haslett and go through three QBs and blame his players for everything! 

I really don't like multiple choice polls if you are asking to choose only one option. The results are not that scientific if you do this. Then again any poll on ES is not that scientific. :P

The option that should have been there is KEEP BOTH!!!! Gruden has not given up on RG3. He knows RG3 needs a better cast around him to make him and the team more effective. Gruden needs to fix the O line!!!

Benching RG3 is not a bad thing now that I think about it. RG3 will be more focused. He knows his value has gone down. The only way to fix it is to fix himself.

Next year the Redskins win the SB with RG3. :D ... puts down rosy colored glasses and walks away.

Yep. And I've roasted him for that. Whether it's ego, fear of being stereotyped, weak kneed over criticism, or something else...it's dumb. You shouldn't confine yourself into a little narrow box, you shouldn't ignore your god given talent, and you shouldn't strive to be the best player you can be however that can be.

However, rather than seemingly giving in and giving him "what he wants" so to speak, I still would've rather see us look around and try to find a coach that could've actually enlightened, encouraged, and convined the young man (or at least tried) than one that was essentially throwing in the towel and saying "fine, just be mr. pocket passer".

I've admitted in other threads that this is hindsight speaking. While I wasn't a huge fan of the Gruden higher, I was down on going with Briles that Gibbs Hog Heaven tried to push. In retrospect, that was likely the way to go. Would it have worked? Impossible to say. But I think it'd give me a feeling of absolute confidence one way or another in terms of Griffin and this franchise, instead of this feeling of uncertainty I've had all season.

But can't change the past. Gruden is the coach and for some odd reason we gave a brand new head coach a 5 year deal. He's here at least through next year, more likely at least the year after. While it's easy to say "it's not our money", I just can't fathom moving on from him this soon with that much tied in due to the low upside of what we'd probably have to replace him with.

Gruden stays. Griffin probably goes.

You're right on. I'm not a fan of the read option at all, but that's what Griffin is. To draft him and expect him to do something different wasn't just dumb.

They were just talking about it on ESPN radio. They said the 2 qb's that had the most success with the read option were Griffin and Kaepernick, and now they don't us it at all. Tannehil is tearing it up with it.

Again, I'm not a fan of the read option. My favorite QB in the nfl now is Luck. I love how he throws downfield.

You're right on. I'm not a fan of the read option at all, but that's what Griffin is. To draft him and expect him to do something different wasn't just dumb.

Well, I don't think "that's what Griffin is" necessarily. I think the Read Option uses some of his best attributes....big arm, ability to run, good ball handling...very effectively, but I don't think it's the only way.

I think he's better suited in the gun or pistol than under center. I think a spread style offense utilizing a number of recievers split out wide to allow for a cleaner pocket and more scrambling lanes works well for him as well. I think at the moment, as he's still developing, an offense aimed at creating an opening for a specific reciever, as opposed to a timing based on relying on reading and then "throwing" a guy open, probably is to his advantage.

I think a spread offense primarily out of Gun or Pistol utilizing a healthy dose of read option throughout would be far and away the best bet for him now and in the near future, and I absolutely think such an offense has the ABILITY to be successful at an NFL level.

Do I think Griffin could develop into a better "Drop back, pocket operating QB"? Eventually, yes. But I don't see it as a one or two year deal with his background. I think in some ways we went the wrong way....trying to go full in on a traditional offense and sprinkling in read-option type things, as opposed to going heavy on read-option/spread/movement type of an offense traditional things sprinkled in and slowly increasing over the years.

But ultimately you can't do it if the kids not willing, and that's the problem. And I think Gruden is not a coach that was going to have the desire nor the ability to convince him otherwise and show him the wisdom of doing it that way (Note, I don't think he was brought in for that reason so that's not a knock on him).

Doomed to fail

Archived