Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read Option-less: An apology to the Shanahans.

NoCalMike

I think what is aggravating the most to me is that Seattle & San Francisco are showing the NFL that you don't need a Brady/Manning/Breez/Rodgers caliber QB to win games and make the playoffs. Hell, you don't even need the guys right under that level.

Look at the stat lines week in & out of the other two.  Right now Kap is 14/27 for 182 yards.  And most weeks it is like that for the most part.  By no means at all is that good QB play...but it doesn't matter. The reason they start Kap is because he is a playmaker.  The same kind of play maker Wilson is in Seattle with his 16/30 221 yards stat lines he puts up every week.  Neither of those guys are "traditional QB's" and/or look like spectacular QB's out there throughout the whole game.  What they do is make a few big plays here and there and let the rest of the team do the heavy lifting.  

I am baffled as to why this same approach was not taken with Robert by the new coaching staff.  The Shanahan's had their faults as a coaching duo, but at the least they did seem to understand the king of player Robert was, and built an offense around him accordingly.  And hit was highly successful in 2012, and probably would have continued to be going forward with upgrades to the O-line and skill positions. 

I am not sure where things went sour, and I am not going to act like I didn't want the Shanahans gone for a multitude of different reasons, (I'm also not going to say it wasn't the right decision to remove them because it was obvious their time here was up), however when they drafted Robert they had a plan in place in how to make his athleticism and play-making ability work in the NFL.  Not only did it work, but it caused two other O-coordinator to implement the same offense into their schemes and then their QB's took off like gangbusters as well. 

For whatever reason, there was some kind of new mission in regards to Robert to make him something he isn't.  All the while, Wilson and Kap are still flourishing in the read option still.   Have they matured into elite passing QB's, No, however on those teams it matters little.  For us, it just looks like another missed opportunity, another window is now looking to be nearly shut and we only have this clueless organization to blame, once again.

Archived