Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Richmond Times-Dispatch:REDSKINS NOTES

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031771851724&path=!sports!redskins&s=1045855935462

REDSKINS NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch Oct 31, 2003

CELEBRITY SPOUSE: Fame comes to many who play in the NFL, but when Washington Redskins backup quarterback Tim Hasselbeck is out with his wife, he's not surprised to hear someone say, "Who is that guy with Elisabeth Filarski?"

Filarski, Hasselbeck's wife, was a member of the cast of the second edition of "Survivor," the popular CBS reality series. Filarski was one of four finalists in the show, which took place in the Australian Outback.

"She's better known than my dad or brother or anyone in my family," Hasselbeck said. "I don't know if anyone will ever outdo her."

Hasselbeck's father, Don, played tight end in the NFL for nine seasons. His brother, Matt, is the starting quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks.

His wife, however, was one of the most popular members of the "Survivor" show with viewers. Now, she has a show on the "E!" channel, "The Look for Less," which offers fashion tips for the budget-conscious. Fashion tips are something a number of NFL players could use, even though most of them do not need to be budget conscious.

Hasselbeck did not pursue a courtship with Filarski because of her fame from "Survivor." The two started dating when they were students at Boston College.

HIS OWN SURVIVOR SERIES: Hasselbeck is not assured of the backup job when the Redskins play at Dallas on Sunday. He's only been with the team a week, and Redskins coach Steve Spurrier said Hasselbeck had absorbed, "About as much as you'd expect in a week."

That cryptic answer seemed to indicate Spurrier wasn't sure Hasselbeck was ready to take over if starting quarterback Patrick Ramsey can't finish the game.

Ramsey left the Redskins last game against Buffalo with a bruised right (throwing) hand and hip.

The alternative is Gibran Hamdan, a rookie who is on the practice squad. Hamdan was the Redskins' seventh-round draft choice, out of Indiana.

"If Gibby plays, he can do a reasonable job in there," Spurrier said. "He knows the offense fairly well. He hasn't played much, but hopefully won't have to for a while."

Hasselbeck, though, is confident he knows enough of the offense, and football in general, to do a creditable job if he's needed.

"You prepare as much as possible and when you're in the game, you just play," he said. "Really, that's my approach to it. If you make it into something bigger than it is, and you're worried about all the peripheral things outside of that, it doesn't help you play any better. My goal is to learn as much as possible and if it happens that I'm out there, relax and play and do the things I've been coached to do."

AT LEAST HE'S CONSISTENT: Outside linebacker LaVar Arrington took some of his teammates to task last week for their casual attitude and for the way they were laughing and joking around after the loss to Buffalo on Oct. 18. He was asked if he'd gotten any feedback from his teammates.

"What type of feedback?" Arrington said. "It's the truth, and I speak it. What type of feedback would you want from that? I'll say it to Kingdom Come. You don't laugh and joke after getting your tail kicked in a game."

HE'S NOT REALLY THAT BIG ON RECORDS: Arrington also was asked how important it was that a team play well the week after a loss.

"When you lose a game, the game after that is critical," Arrington said. "We're on, what, a two-game streak?"

Actually, the Redskins are on a three-game losing streak.

"We haven't lost three in a row, have we?" Arrington said. "We have lost three in a row?"

LAW AND ORDER: Newly signed defensive tackle Darrell Russell's experience with the NFL's disciplinary system might not be over. Russell still faces a trial in Nevada on a suspicion of drunken driving and speeding charge. If he's found guilty of the drunken driving charge, the NFL could suspend him again.

"Any alcohol or drug-related violation of law is a basis for disciplinary action under our drug program," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president for public relations. "We will not comment on an individual player's status in the program." - Paul Woody

Archived