Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Take Care Of Jaguars, 41-10

I like the depth, the D, and the win.

One good game and one bad game makes it way too early to heap praise on the O. However; the O depth was impressive - no noticeable degradation when quality players went down.

If they can put together consecutive good winning games with a big win over the Eagles I will leap back to the positive side about this season.

A lot of real positives to go around. On both sides of the ball. No turnovers. 36 passing plays but 42 runs. That's a better ratio. 4 of 6 in the Red Zone plus 3 of 4 on goal to go. They pressed for some deep passes.

10 sacks is unreal. Jags had 25 yards rushing. Granted, they were playing from behind still that's good. D gave up a total of 148 net yards (pass & run) - really good considering the other guys were tossing it up so much.

A couple of my previous notes in the 4 keys part that are still something to work on.

Penalties 11 for 98 yards. Those numbers are going the wrong direction from week 1.

8 Kickoffs; 5 returns for 137 yards from the Jags. Philly has a better return group than Jackson~vile.

42% on 3rd down. Well, it is better than 25%; just not by much. Got em pretty much when they really needed them.

now gruden knows the difference between coaching 'not to lose' and coaching 'to win'. the latter always produces better results. . . . once again, griffin gets 'forced' out of the pocket and runs to the sidelines, only this time he is seriously injured. but does anyone remember how many times cousins got 'forced' out of the pocket? i don't believe it happened even one time. each time when pressured he simply stepped up in the pocket and bought himself a few more seconds. and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference between a successful qb and an unsuccessful one. and that is the main reason why i was in favor of a qb change. over the past 2 years griffin has REgressed while cousins has PROgressed, and now the best qb is at the helm. so no more excuses, skins, let's reclaim the division title. beginning this sunday.

one more thing. does the league office still have it in for the redskins? for the second straight week the officials blew an important call against the skins. last week, it was that intentional grounding penalty. this week, it was that ridiculous unnecessary roughness penalty on the punt coverage when the skins player stuffed the return man. and again, when the officials took 5 minutes to decide that jackson did not catch that long pass, when everyone in the country saw that he did. the officials did their best to steal this one from us, but it wasn't to be. of course, another possibility is that when you are 3-13 and playing against teams that are 2-14, you draw the 'bottom of the barrel' referees. the only way to change that, i guess, is to keep winning and make your games more important. hopefully, they will.

Disappointed and ashamed to say I missed the game... Does anyone know where I can find a replay of it? Either way, love the scoreboard, love the stat line. At this point, our D is playing unbelievably well... Turnovers still seem to be eluding us, but through the first two games, I'm impressed. Obviously, a fair litmus test will be this weekend vs the Eagles.

A lot of real positives to go around. On both sides of the ball. No turnovers. 36 passing plays but 42 runs. That's a better ratio. 4 of 6 in the Red Zone plus 3 of 4 on goal to go. They pressed for some deep passes.

10 sacks is unreal. Jags had 25 yards rushing. Granted, they were playing from behind still that's good. D gave up a total of 148 net yards (pass & run) - really good considering the other guys were tossing it up so much.

A couple of my previous notes in the 4 keys part that are still something to work on.

Penalties 11 for 98 yards. Those numbers are going the wrong direction from week 1.

8 Kickoffs; 5 returns for 137 yards from the Jags. Philly has a better return group than Jackson~vile.

42% on 3rd down. Well, it is better than 25%; just not by much. Got em pretty much when they really needed them.

Hail John-

It bugged me too that the Jags got 137 yds on 5 returns. Way stepped in for kick-offs but he never punched one out the end zone like we want, Forbath is only slightly stronger. The Jags were playing from behind the whole game so they were returning out of the endzone some kicks that they wouldn't necessarily do if they were ahead, they were trying to get a spark for their offense but it didn't work because our defense shut them down. Penalties on special teams has to stop, 2 push in the back fouls in 1st half,Akeem blew up the returner only to lead with his facemask. But it's a team game, sometimes the offense isn't great so other parts of the team step up and help them out, we see this every Sunday. I do believe we are heading in a great direction with special teams, penalties we can correct, players having the heart to do dirty work  is harder, we only have to look at last year.

Too bad about Griffin. First play was read option and I was going 'oh no!'. The play were he got hurt was ridiculous on Griffin's part, just throw the damn ball away, live to play another down, he has got this hero complex that makes him believe that he must play recklessly, never seen another qb in the league attempt such a throw. Griffin brings alot on himself and by his actions he has also hurt his team. Now Cousins had a fine game and I'm happy for him. We all know that he's been proclaimed a better NFL ready pocket passer than Griffin but Griffins ceiling is higher. Maybe, just maybe this year we don't need the high ceiling guy, we need that NFL pocket passer that can get the job done...NOW!!! Cousins came in and gave the team some direction, confidence, and for some of the 3rd, 4th, 5th receivers as well as Niles Paul a feeling that they are contributing. Defense has to love Kurt because his long drives kept them off the field and rested.

Got more things to say but work calls.

Hail John-

It bugged me too that the Jags got 137 yds on 5 returns. Way stepped in for kick-offs but he never punched one out the end zone like we want, Forbath is only slightly stronger. The Jags were playing from behind the whole game so they were returning out of the endzone some kicks that they wouldn't necessarily do if they were ahead, they were trying to get a spark for their offense but it didn't work because our defense shut them down. Penalties on special teams has to stop, 2 push in the back fouls in 1st half,Akeem blew up the returner only to lead with his facemask. But it's a team game, sometimes the offense isn't great so other parts of the team step up and help them out, we see this every Sunday. I do believe we are heading in a great direction with special teams, penalties we can correct, players having the heart to do dirty work  is harder, we only have to look at last year.

Too bad about Griffin. First play was read option and I was going 'oh no!'. The play were he got hurt was ridiculous on Griffin's part, just throw the damn ball away, live to play another down, he has got this hero complex that makes him believe that he must play recklessly, never seen another qb in the league attempt such a throw. Griffin brings alot on himself and by his actions he has also hurt his team. Now Cousins had a fine game and I'm happy for him. We all know that he's been proclaimed a better NFL ready pocket passer than Griffin but Griffins ceiling is higher. Maybe, just maybe this year we don't need the high ceiling guy, we need that NFL pocket passer that can get the job done...NOW!!! Cousins came in and gave the team some direction, confidence, and for some of the 3rd, 4th, 5th receivers as well as Niles Paul a feeling that they are contributing. Defense has to love Kurt because his long drives kept them off the field and rested.

Got more things to say but work calls.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pain, but I cannot believe after that game you guys are complaining about RETURN YARDS!  Forbath was injured earlier in the week. So they had the punter kick for him. Was he great? No! But he is the Punter! But otherwise they would have had to bring someone up and use an entire roster spot.

relax a little guys!  Try to let yourself enjoy a win! We kicked their ****ing ass in every facet of the game, and without planned starters in several key positions -QB, WR, PK, and later in the game RB.

BTW: For those playing at home, 42% on 3rd down would have put us 7th in the NFL last year. The best team in the league was 49%. Let's make sure our expectations are fair. Sure I would prefer better than 42% but it's not bad, it's actually damn good.

Also, for all those Haslett haters: Please look at which team is the #1 Def in the NFL!! Since we are playing Philly next week,  that will probably change. But still! # ****ing 1!!!

One more rant - Still think it was a poor decision to keep Silas Redd over Lache Seastrunk?

OK, rant over. Sorry guys just had to get a few things off my chest.

Disappointed and ashamed to say I missed the game... Does anyone know where I can find a replay of it? Either way, love the scoreboard, love the stat line. At this point, our D is playing unbelievably well... Turnovers still seem to be eluding us, but through the first two games, I'm impressed. Obviously, a fair litmus test will be this weekend vs the Eagles.

I purchase NFL Rewind. I think it's like $60 for all games on the NFL for a year. It's actually pretty cool. You can slow it down, get a coaches view and especially you  miss the ads.

Hail Goskins-

What looks like a complaint to some is analysis to others and sometimes the difference is murky. I don't get all gushy about wins, I just don't...I subscribe to ''act like you've won a game before''. Not too high for wins and not too low for losses, I've coached too many games to be different than that.

Is that 42% on 3rd downs the last 2 games or just the last game?

I'm not going to relax because we beat the Jaguars. We did what we were supposed to do which is beat a God awful team that looks like a JV squad. Goskins if you want to parade around with a Redskin flag like we did something extrodinary then help yourself.

You're not a pain, you're a Redskin Brother.

Too early to jump on the stats bandwagon after 2 games

@ctskin - I get NFL Game Replay (don't show Redskins that much in Texas) and only get the Redskin option - it is only $29. You do have to wait until all Sunday's games are over before watching it. You can find a link on this site. Go is watching all of the games at his rate.

I think the win was great because of the obvious addition of depth, something we have been missing for a while. By the time we got to the 2nd half we were playing without 4 O starters and the whole game with original 2 D starters out.

Hail to the Redskins

I believe they also have an option at nfl.com to purchase only one team for the rewind. So you could get just Redskins games. It's like $30.

Looks like you just beat me to it TheyAreBack. By about a min...guess I'm getting slow in my old age. -_-

Hail Goskins-

What looks like a complaint to some is analysis to others and sometimes the difference is murky. I don't get all gushy about wins, I just don't...I subscribe to ''act like you've won a game before''. Not too high for wins and not too low for losses, I've coached too many games to be different than that.

Is that 42% on 3rd downs the last 2 games or just the last game?

I'm not going to relax because we beat the Jaguars. We did what we were supposed to do which is beat a God awful team that looks like a JV squad. Goskins if you want to parade around with a Redskin flag like we did something extrodinary then help yourself.

You're not a pain, you're a Redskin Brother.

Too early to jump on the stats bandwagon after 2 games

I think that was a bit dramatic my friend lol - Never said we did something extraordinary. "Parading around"??  lol  C'mon now, a bit melodramatic maybe??  lol  I was at the game and there is definite high you get being at the games. We beat a bad team. But we beat them soundly. We have had a tendency to play down to those teams. Also, #1 in D? I agree it's early to get too caught up in statistics, but last year we never scared the top 20, much less #1 even if for just a flash.

I am getting tired of hearing (not from you or many others in hear for that matter, but elsewhere) how horrible a team this is and then when we do something right it's portrayed as an accident.

I have done quite a bit of coaching myself. I learned early on, while you still need to grow and get better, and it's never "good enough" no matter how well you played, you still need to let yourself and the team enjoy wins, if only for a little while. That's just me.

I will be more analytical later in the week, but I am going to enjoy this one today...  :-) 

HTTR!!

If some of you don't want to do your happy dance...fine. But you can't expect fans of the Redskins to just sit back & pretend that winning like this is a regular occurrence. Especially after a 9 game losing skid.

THIS is the Redskins I know we can be. Everything we touched turned to gold. RG3 who? Cousins is the man! & Alfred...2 TDs. The D...10 sack?!?1? Ryan Kerrigan with 4. HOLY $HIT BATMAN!!! Forbath connecting 100%. 32 1st down. 449 total yards. T.O.P. 39 minutes. 75% goal to go efficiency. 66% in the red zone. Man....my head is STILL spinning.

Gruden called a fantastic game. Making the right calls at the right time. & Haslett...I guess the reports were right, Shanahan really did tie his hands. If this is the REAL Haslett, then my apologies to him for calling for his head the last 4 years.

HTTR!!! 

Archived