Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mentorship: Do you have a mentor?

Die Hard

In order to grow, we have a variety of references available to us. We can gain first-hand experience... or we can also seek to mimic others who have already have the competency in a field -- to expedite the process.

I`m curious to learn from people who employ mentors... and their experience(s). I`d like to know how people are using them.

Please answer the following questions. Keep the format but include your answer in point or paragraph form following each question for ease.

(1) Do you have a mentor?

(2) Who is that mentor? (ie. friend, family, work associate/colleague, academic, life coach, etc)

(3) Why did you choose this particular person?

(4) Is there a formal arrangement that was agreed upon between both parties? (ie. financial compensation, favors, free wisdom, etc).

(5) In what area of your life has this mentor served? (ie. relationships, finances, professional development, personal development, etc)

(6) How long have you had the mentor for?

(7) How would you say you`ve benefited from the relationship since your relationship began?

Both mentor relationships I had crashed and burned.

In my experience, people who believe themselves to be mentors are trying to cover up major deficiencies. Real mentors do what they do without needing a formal relationship. If someone has to say "I'm your mentor," they aren't worthy of the title.

Same thing goes for women who say they are classy or men who claim they are leaders/alphas. If you have to say it, you ain't.

(Note: Today I had my doors blown off by an idiot passing me on a double yellow going at least 80 on one of the worst windy mountain roads east of the Mississipi [181 just north of Morganton NC]. His Ferrari had the plate ApxPred. All I could think was...well, pretty much that last sentence above lol).

I've had a couple of mentors in the past, I think.  None were formal, but I learned a tremendous amount from them both in the field and to things I could generalize out of it.

One was the first man who ever agreed to direct one of my plays.  He taught me a bit about structure, relationships, and something about power.  I think one of his greatest lessons came in an audition.  I remember there was this guy who read after reading his monologue I turned to Max and said, "What about him?"  Max shook his head, "No"  I asked why not.  He agreed the guy was talented, but said that he was a B+ and a diva.  If he was an A you deal with the assholes and divas, but otherwise you have to live and work with the guy.  Better get someone less talented that you'll enjoy being around than someone who is good, but a constant pain.

Great guy.  More of a techie than a director.  Great at lighting and specials.  He had to move which is why the mentorship/friendship kind of faded.

The other was my first radio boss.  Taught me a lot.  Sometimes in words, but often in editing.  I got to see how he thought and constructed his logic and that I found really helpful.  Probably the best bit was that he kept giving me opportunities.  He'd ask me after a pitch sometimes, "Can you do that?" because it was on a topic I hadn't covered or with an echelon of subject that could be tough, but he never said no and I wound up developing so much faster because of that.  He also didn't really have an ego. There were certain subjects he probably should have taken as the Host, but he rarely nixed me even when I went after the really cool stuff.  Who knows maybe it was only cool to me!  But heck, it was how I got to interview Robin Williams only a year into reporting.

Archived