Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Amazing the Credit Billick Still Receives

bulldog

I am sitting here watching the COMCAST sports report and the reverence with which the anchors treat Brian Billick is just amazing.

Here is a guy that released his quarterback after winning a Super Bowl (admittedly the defense was the anchor) and replaced him with a $31 million flameout in Elvis Grbac :laugh:

I don't think I can ever remember a Super Bowl winner dumping their starting qb before the next offseason.

And the Ravens paid for it later, as they have failed to win a playoff game since.

The other factor that is interesting with Billick in regards to his rep is, for a guy who is supposed to be an offensive 'genius' how come he is still depending upon the defense and running back Jamal Lewis to get him wins?

Billick has NEVER had a high octane passing attack in Baltimore.

Even excepting the Dilfer/Grbac fiasco, who have his qbs been?

He signed Tony Banks for $16 million in 1999. He signed nondescript Jeff Blake last season.

I just don't see where Billick is a genius.

If there is a genius in Baltimore it is GM Ozzie Newsome who keeps the fires burning with good draft choices up and down the board :)

I sure wish we could trade Cerrato for Newsome.

Originally posted by bulldog

I am sitting here watching the COMCAST sports report and the reverence with which the anchors treat Brian Billick is just amazing.

Here is a guy that released his quarterback after winning a Super Bowl (admittedly the defense was the anchor) and replaced him with a $31 million flameout in Elvis Grbac :laugh:

I don't think I can ever remember a Super Bowl winner dumping their starting qb before the next offseason.

And the Ravens paid for it later, as they have failed to win a playoff game since.

Yeah, I've always thought Dilfer was a pretty good QB. I wanted to draft him instead of Shuler, and Marty should have picked him up before Seattle got around to taking him. He would have been good in Marty's system.

If there is a genius in Baltimore it is GM Ozzie Newsome who keeps the fires burning with good draft choices up and down the board :)

I sure wish we could trade Cerrato for Newsome.

I'd rather trade Cerrato for Ron Wolfe. Wolfe is good, and he likes Spurrier, so we wouldn't automatically dump Spurrier if Wolfe came in. And he would be instrumental in picking our next coach, if and when Spurrier leaves. Danny, do you read this Board? Ron's number shouldn't be too hard to find! :D

Billick is such a fraud. The guy signs a new qb every year, ends up coaching him to a career worst year, then says the qb just wasn't that good and signs a different qb the next year.

The Ravens are a playoff contender with Chris Redman starting. But Billick is infatuated with Kyle Boller's physical skills and his own desire to show people he can develop a great qb. It's killing the team.

okay, I'm sorry, Billick cut his Super Bowl quarterback, signed a bum that cracked after one year in the saddle and left Ozzie Newsome with the task of having to come up with another QB in the draft in 2003 :)

in between they won a wildcard game. that better?

and by the way, did you check out the Ravens division?

you have Cleveland and Cincinnati in there and your team often gets 4 wins posted as soon as the schedule comes out.

maybe things will change now with Lewis in Cincinnati.

in any case, we all know that it was Lewis' defense that set records and anchored that SB team, Billick and the offense was largely along for the ride.

remember that at 5-1 on the season the club had scored the fewest points in the AFC and yet was in first place?

I wonder how they accomplished that feat?

Ask #52 :D

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

I believe that they beat Miami in the first round with Grbac and then lost to the Steelers. So they have won a playoff game without Dilfer.

Also, Boller has played well for a rookie and they are above .500, so I'd say now is not the best time to criticize him.

Billick has kept a tight rein on Boller and is managing him so he doesn't lose games. Don't kid yourself, though, Boller has not been playing well, even for a rookie.

What a slap in the face to Redman (Chris, not the guy on the this board :D) that he can't be the starter for this team.

I'm with Kornheiser on Billick - he's a preening shmoe.

I was at the game today. What struck me is that his teams play to their ability and above. Be honest, wouldn't you like to be able to say that about the Skins?

The Ravens simply don't shoot themselves in the foot. That's good coaching. I'd argue that last year they way over achieved too. BEfore last year, I thought they would be 3-13 based on their talent or rather lack there of.

You guys knock his conservative play calling? The one season he had a QB capable of winning games, he lost his rb early in the season. Now he has a running game, and he's still gota good D (for those who swear it was all Marvin). Why should he run a high octane O? Look at his WRs and tell me you would do other than he is doing.

At thispoint in their careers, I'd trade SOS for Billick.

As a side note, Heap had a Coles moment today. HE caught the ball, got three feet in bounds, hit the ground and fumbled out of bounds. Result: Incomplete pass. The Ravens challenged, and boy was I unpopular in my section saying it was incomplete. Guess what: It was ruled incomplete. I hate the rule, but atleast the refs are being consistant..

Archived