Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Skins to release Johnson, sign Hasselback?

Zen-like Todd

I'm thinking that those of you who have said that Johnson was one of the 'laughers' are probably right. This release and signing are a message to the team, pure and simple. Releasing players who rarely, if ever play, is one thing, releasing the back-up QB is sending the message that (almost) noone is safe. I like it.

Here is something else to ponder, do you think Spurrier laughed at Rob this past monday and then got him released to piss of Synder?? Think about it that is $ that goes against the cap (i think) Then when Danny said no to DW again Spurrier is just going to get himself fired to keep his $$ ??

The fact Bugel came in yesterday and talked to NO ONE except the owner and Rob is gone today as well as Spurrier calling Danny by "Owner" and everyone else by first name!!!

The circus is back :( :paranoid:

Originally posted by HittinSkinz

If dallas picks him up... he wont be able to give them our plays cuz his dumb azz didnt know them anyway

I don't' think any DC in the league needs him at all to figure out SS' playbook unless he makes FINE adjustments to it.

I also think that weed Danny at this moment. How quickly Tim will get into the system is very doubtful.

just putting 2 +2 together

Arrington rips a laughing teammate on bus, story is reported in the news today, Rob Johnson is released for an unproven QB with out any knowledge of the system.....

Spurrier said a couple weeks ago, he would address any player laughing after a loss in the locker room.

hmmmmm

I agree with most of you, Johnson must have been the giggler.

Rob Johnson got a 250K signing bonus. Salary for this year was 655K, which I think is pro-rated for the number of games the team has played, so he will get 256K for 6 games this year. Next year he was due to get 1.1Mil. So he cost us a total of 506K, which isn't all that much in the scheme of things.

I'd like to see Kent Graham as backup, although he hasn't been on the field since he played in 3 games for Marty in 2001. He did very well in relief of Tony Banks that year. I was sorry to see that we didn't bring him back.

Originally posted by SkinsFan56

Of course Dallas will pick him up this week. They want our playbook. Only thing is the way we have played the last 3 weeks even i dont want our playbook.:laugh:

I don't think Rob will be smart enough to relay the message back to anyone eles, I'm not to sure he knew what he was doing himself.

Just a thought, but....Hasslebach knows the West-Coast offense and has played with the Eagle, and Carolina. In addition, Seattle uses the same offense. Maybe, he will be running the offense on our starting D and giving us clues on how those three teams would use it against us.

It's a good move. Johnson was obviously no help anywhere.

We're just setting ourselves up for the second half.

Before everyone jumps off a bridge, ask yourself this question:

Does having this guy instead of Johnson makes us any worse??

The answer is no. If Ramsey gets hurt we're screwed. Guess what, before we cut Johnson, If Ramsey got hurt we were screwed.

I don't really see any difference.

And really, how can you complain when you drop Rob Johnson?? Its Rob Johnson.

Danny Weurffel is on his way back. With Ramsey getting pounded, it was only a matter of time before we brought a third QB in -- that's Hasselbeck. I've come to expect the unexpected, but going to Dallas with a #2 QB with only two weeks of experience is just absurd. If DW isn't on board within 48 hours I'll be VERY surprised.

Personally, having watched Hasselback play in Eagles TC and preseason the past few years, I'd say he's definetly no worse than R.J. He is a fiery competitor who almost beat AJ Feeley out for 3rd string last year. I'm not sure why the Redskins FO would make this move now though. It will take him some time to learn the Fun N Gun after being taught the WCO throughout college and thus far here in the pros.

Well, sure as hell nobody's crying over Rob Johnson taking his headband elsewhere. Besides the potential giggle factor that might have been a factor in leading to it, fact is according to SS the man went on the field and effing looked the wrong way after taking snaps. If a head coach says that on the radio - it's true.

The man was clearly not a competent backup in this offense.

Problem is ... we didnt' really help ourselves here in the worst case scenario, because neither is Hasselbeck. Or at least he isn't NOW, and won't be in 2 weeks against the Tunas.

We've found out that Johnson wasn't gonna help us if Patrick went down ... and we know that Hasselbeck isnt' ... and we know that if Gibran gets on the field Om is going to be watching with a grimace and peaking between his fingers.

Sigh.

Patrick, my young brother - I know you're tough and stand in against the blitz. It's what has us all here infatuated with you. But please ... for the rest of the season ... throw the damn ball away if you're guys ain't open on rhythm. You gotta survive, man, and get some more games under your belt and keep learning, because your interests (and ours) are better served by having you learn this year, and be that much more ready to go next year, than getting smooshed for being a stud and having to watch along with us as a guy who's never thrown an NFL pass walks into the teeth of the beast.

Just one more happy thought: in retrospect, Rob Johnson's million dollar dear or whatever it was sure woulda looked better on a DE.

Originally posted by SnydertheHun

Hasselbeck? Well, at least we won't be tempted to put him on the field.

What about:

Jarius Jackson

Anthony Wright

Michael Bishop

At least these guys can run. We all know that none of them will know enough to throw the ball anytime soon.

Actually, Tim is pretty mobile. He's a 4.6 guy, and played some free safety and returned punts his freshman year while sitting behind his brother Matt.

Unfortuantely, Tim has the weakest arm and quirkiest delivery I have seen since Weurfell. He's tough and smart and supposedly leads well, but he no one will confuse his arm for Ramsey's.

Archived