Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Screw the offensive balance

Yomar

I think its time for smashmouth. Its time for this team to get its swagger back. We won't hang 50 on Vanderbilt and we may not get more than 3.5 yards per carry, hardly the type of stuff that makes Coach Spurrier's nipples stand at attention, but our offense is getting slugged in the mouth and all we are doing is backpeddling out of a two-point stance.

Here is the game plan. You take your allegedly world-class offensive line, and you let them beat up on the DLine. You take 2 yards and a cloud of dust if thats all you get, then you line up and do it again. You grab the other team's D Coordinator by the neck and shove his nose in it, you show him who controls the tempo, you play like you are 10 points up even when you are 10 points down until time simply doesn't allow you the luxury. Smashmouth puts the D on its heels. Smashmouth minimizes mistakes. Smashmouth allows you to take the spring out of a speed rusher's legs. It allows the offensive lineman to have some much needed fun. Smashmouth compliments Coles's speed, pulling safeties up on play-action. You have to make the D respect the running game, and that hasn't happened since the Jets game. Smashmouth protects the QB, especially a 2nd year QB with an exciting future and a golden arm. Smashmouth is your friend.

well thats not true, because a 3 and out on all running plays takes up over 2 minutes. The problem with the 8 carries for 11 yards is that there were only 8 carries. Smashmouth does not abandon the run after 8 carries no matter what. Smashmouth allows the O to grow strong while the D becomes puny and weak

I would rather see the exact reverse of what Yomar is suggesting. We have to completely look to pass deep in most every play. We're blessed with great talent in the WR position, Skins must adopt the true sense of the Fun and Gun and try to expose the secondary of every team they play. Spurrier is known for his ability to expose opposing teams weakneses through play action pass and deep treats.

Since our attempt to have a balanced attack seems to self distract itself, I'm all for trying what we all thought worked in the first few games. Use your playmakers (Gardner, Coles) to get you the big plays and the offensive balance will take care of itself.

If our blocking was better smashmouth might be a possiblity but it isn't. As for the deep passing game Ramsey doesn't have time for the plays to develope. By now, every team in the league knows we can not handle blitzing and movement from the defensive line. The skins have 2 weeks to get things together or this will be a long season.

I would argue our blocking problems are a result of not run blocking enough. The offensive line has an advantage by knowing the snap count (insert false start penalty joke here ...but I also think it would cut down on the false starts), but its not nearly as significant an advantage if they are pass blocking and absorbing the blow all the time.

The problem with kneeling 3 times and punting is that you passblock on the kneel downs and it doesn't wear down the DLine nor does it make the linebackers and safeties respect the playaction.

well, ideally we would have better TEs, thats a problem, but I think the backs are fine. You just rotate them like we have been, the TE doesn't have to be great, but I wish we still had Rasby or someone like him. The good news is that those kinds of guys are pretty cheap

Archived