Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running the Triple Option

DubMoney

For me Griffin is smart enough, coachable enough and has more then enough arm talent to build a productive NFL offense around his passing ability even if he couldn't walk.

So for me the it doesn't matter if Griffin isn't the running threat he was last year. That's besides the point even if Griffin was never hurt it wouldn't change a whole lot about how defenses are playing the read-option play action passing concepts.

Your first paragraph... I agree except Id add the caveat "eventually."

Eventually, I think RG can take those skills and with proper coaching become a very good pocket QB. I do not think he was there this year. I do not think he would run say, the Saints offense with any sort of great consistency--- I don't think he is quite ready to run that type of offense at an elite level-- maybe in spots, but not for 16 games. I still think he needs the RO to be at his most effective. And therein lies the big problem this year I suppose.

because opposing D's had to worry about him running, and had to commit to stopping him from running.. passing lanes open up more.   fact is, last year RGIII was really good at being a THREAT to break into a run... but did not always do so.  Often last year he would freeze teh D by LOOKING like he was going to run, and... would pass

for whatever reason he appears less good at it this year

1) defenses have adapted some

2) RGII is still not up to 100%, and his confidence appears a little shaken

3) the O-line has sucked donkey testicles this year. 

the o-line in general has sucked, bu polumbus specifically has not only not seemed to slow down end-rushers.... he seems like an acceleration chamber. rushers go in one end...and speed out the other (like those hot wheels accelerators....)

IMG_5769.jpg

given a LITTLE more time back there, and a restoring a LITTLE more confidence.... i am still convinced that RGIII can be a TERROR to defend.  He was accurate as hell last year, and ****y (in a good way).

I think he will get his mojo back... and everything we were soild about himw as a smart and trainable young man.  i still believe

Your first paragraph... I agree except Id add the caveat "eventually."

Eventually, I think RG can take those skills and with proper coaching become a very good pocket QB. I do not think he was there this year. I do not think he would run say, the Saints offense with any sort of great consistency--- I don't think he is quite ready to run that type of offense at an elite level-- maybe in spots, but not for 16 games. I still think he needs the RO to be at his most effective. And therein lies the big problem this year I suppose.

Change "eventually" to "provided there is adequate gameplan/playcalling" then we agree.

The game we are talking about in this very thread Griffin was: 16/17 with a touchdown in the first hald vs the Giants....then came the triple option in the second half.

ITS THE PLAYCALLING. In this first drive, the first scoring drive of the season you no how much triple option we used? ZERO you know how many teams we called read-option? ONCE.

They called quick, short to intermediate routes that we've been dicsussing all season. Threw some quick hitches, couple slants, 1 post, screen, and we didn't dial up that read option playaction til after we ran the ball and even then we didn't over do it (i've detailed this in another thread). But the playcalling was different the first half of the Giants game then we've seen all season and Griffin was sharp.

Coincidence? or Cause/Effect?

If Griffin was being coached by the Saints staff as opposed to this staff I have no doubt Griffin would be much further along as 'pocket QB' but even then I wouldn't think he could become an elite NFL QB because very few NFL QBs are elite passers in ttheir 2nd season (Dan Marino? maybe?)

I think a lot of the football media in this town know far more about journalism and broadcast then football.

Listen to guys like Cooley and Greg Cosell those guys have it down.

i want to know why cooley always talks about both mike and kyle in glowing terms, yet seems to take issue every week with the game plan.

today, he actually said "this week (vs KC) was the first week that i thought the game plan made sense" (paraphrasing, maybe, but i think that might actually be the quote).

czaban asked him to repeat that and seemed surprised at the comment. cooley elaborated just a bit and talked about how the game plan made sense vs the D they were facing. 

again, its odd that cooley seems to have a high opinion of kyle and mike but criticize the gameplan every week. 

I thought Cooley was talking about the overall offense makeing sense. Not the KC game in particular.

He's said before that he thought that Mike's offense made the most sense of any offense he's been in.

But on the whole Cooley himself is conflicted because of his relationship with Kyle.

He's critical of the gameplan and playing but oddly never pushes forward to being critical of Kyle because of the gameplan/playcalling.

Its very odd.

I want RG3 to be Aaron Rodgers, not Tim Tebow.

I think everyone wants rg3 to Rodgers over Tebow, but atm he might be closer to tebow then Rodgers. That pick he throw sunday was as bad a read as you can make. The man misses alot of open receivers and makes throws that there is no way in hell I ever see Rodgers throw.

Did i say anything about him not running at all? Im simply saying, when he was running last year an picking up first downs, no one had a problem because he was a threat to every defense. And this year, you can now see that he is getting back to his old form that made him such a threat, and now we should not use the triple option anymore because he could get hurt?

We drafted RG3 because he is a dual threat. We traded away all that for him, and now you dont want to FULLY utilize his dual threat ability?

Last game he actually was smarter, i actually saw him slide, and get out of bounds multiple times. People will get hit, QBs will get hit, thats part of the game. Its about being smarter and trying to minimize the damage, not completely eliminating the triple option.

And to the last part of your post, who cares if they are not as fast? They still get hit. And BECAUSE RG3 is fast, that is more reason of a reason to use the triple option, not the opposite  :lol:

You sir are an idiot. Where in my post did i say anything about you thinking rg3 should stop running, i was just defending the previous posters statement. All he said is rg3 running the triple option while being exposed to safeties and linebackers was reckless. Theres nothing wrong with him escaping the pocket if no receivers are open or if the defense decides to leave certain parts of the field uncovered. In which case he can pick up the yards using his feet and than either get out of bounds or try to slide, so he doesn't absorb unnecessary hits. Theres a reason teams dont run the triple option in the nfl. Professional players are a lot faster, stronger and bigger than college and high school players.

You sir are an idiot. Where in my post did i say anything about you thinking rg3 should stop running, i was just defending the previous posters statement. All he said is rg3 running the triple option while being exposed to safeties and linebackers was reckless. Theres nothing wrong with him escaping the pocket if no receivers are open or if the defense decides to leave certain parts of the field uncovered. In which case he can pick up the yards using his feet and than either get out of bounds or try to slide, so he doesn't absorb unnecessary hits. Theres a reason teams dont run the triple option in the nfl. Professional players are a lot faster, stronger and bigger than college and high school players.

Its funny that you call me an idiot, yet your post just shows how stupid you really are.

"There's a reason teams dont run the triple option in the NFL."

Really? Cause we ran it last year with a ton of success. Seattle runs it, 49ers run it. Ive even seen the eagles run it. Did you not watch football last season or something? Try reading a little and understand what youre reading before you start throwing insults.

"Theres nothing wrong with him escaping the pocket if no receivers are open or if the defense decides to leave certain parts of the field uncovered. "

And by your logic, there's no way that he will still be taking big hits and what not because he is not running the triple option? Common dude, that makes absolutely no sense. All of a sudden safeties wont be targeting him because he wasnt in the triple option formation? No, PEOPLE WILL GET HIT, ITS FOOTBALL. But, you can minimize the hit by being smarter.

If you read my earlier post correctly, I said he just needs to be smarter when he runs the ball. What is wrong with that? You're really going to try and argue that?  :lol: 

"Professional players are a lot faster, stronger and bigger than college and high school players."

Thank you captain obvious. Thats why i said he just needs to be smarter with the triple option and try to avoid taking big hits by sliding or simple falling to the ground.

"In which case he can pick up the yards using his feet and than either get out of bounds or try to slide"

And you're saying he cant do the same while running the triple option? He can run the triple option and still slide or get down to avoid being hit so viciously. As I said in my previous post that you didnt comprehend or were unable to read/remember, its about being smart.

Again, ive said it like 5 times already but since its difficult for you to comprehend, RG3 just needs to be smarter when he runs.

Bro, I think you are getting triple option mixed with read-option.

Last year we barely ran triple option, which is dive option combined with speed option with a pitchman (we use a WR).

We ran a lot of pistol (dive) option with the QB and the RB.

You may be right, but fine we'll go with that. So we barely ran the triple option last year, yet RG3 was still taking vicious hits over and over again. My point still stands, he can do these option plays and choose to run, he just needs to be smarter when he's on the run. Not completely eliminating it from the playbook.

You may be right, but fine we'll go with that. So we barely ran the triple option last year, yet RG3 was still taking vicious hits over and over again. My point still stands, he can do these option plays and choose to run, he just needs to be smarter when he's on the run. Not completely eliminating it from the playbook.

lol I don't think you understand the triple option. The way to defend the triple option is to attack the pitchman i.e Griffin.

In the Giants game we ran 0 triple option and scored on the 1st drive (for the first time all season).

We didn't use the triple option in the first half and Griffin was 16/17 with 1 TD.

We didn't need it period.

Its funny that you call me an idiot, yet your post just shows how stupid you really are.

"There's a reason teams dont run the triple option in the NFL."

Really? Cause we ran it last year with a ton of success. Seattle runs it, 49ers run it. Ive even seen the eagles run it. Did you not watch football last season or something? Try reading a little and understand what youre reading before you start throwing insults.

"Theres nothing wrong with him escaping the pocket if no receivers are open or if the defense decides to leave certain parts of the field uncovered. "

And by your logic, there's no way that he will still be taking big hits and what not because he is not running the triple option? Common dude, that makes absolutely no sense. All of a sudden safeties wont be targeting him because he wasnt in the triple option formation? No, PEOPLE WILL GET HIT, ITS FOOTBALL. But, you can minimize the hit by being smarter.

If you read my earlier post correctly, I said he just needs to be smarter when he runs the ball. What is wrong with that? You're really going to try and argue that?  :lol: 

"Professional players are a lot faster, stronger and bigger than college and high school players."

Thank you captain obvious. Thats why i said he just needs to be smarter with the triple option and try to avoid taking big hits by sliding or simple falling to the ground.

"In which case he can pick up the yards using his feet and than either get out of bounds or try to slide"

And you're saying he cant do the same while running the triple option? He can run the triple option and still slide or get down to avoid being hit so viciously. As I said in my previous post that you didnt comprehend or were unable to read/remember, its about being smart.

Again, ive said it like 5 times already but since its difficult for you to comprehend, RG3 just needs to be smarter when he runs.

Lol first of all youre confusing the read-option with the triple option, so if theres anyone who needs to brush up on his football knowledge that would be you sir. The triple option is basically like running a pitch with your rb, but in this scenario you have your qb running towards the edge with either a wr/rb as an option to pitch to based on how the defense reacts to it. In this scenario if im either the linebacker/d-lineman or safety im going to get a hit on the quarterback and rely on the rest of my defense to defend whoever the option is. You say he should minimize the hits by being smarter, so if you want to play smart you eliminate the triple option completely. Im not trying to argue with you, all im saying is the triple option doesnt work in the nfl and its a bonehead way to get your qb killed.

Archived