Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL to flex more games between networks next season

Tyron Biggums

The Chiefs and Broncos will be playing on Sunday night instead of Sunday afternoon because of the league’s rules regarding flexing games into prime time in order to maximize the television audience for the best matchups.

There will be more flexing to come in 2014. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the league will institute a new system of cross flexing games between networks. A game that was scheduled for an regional slot on CBS could be moved to a late afternoon national spot on FOX under the new system. That would have been an option with the Chiefs and Broncos this week as they were slated to play on a regional telecast and the only way to get the game on more screens was to move it to Sunday night.

Schefter reports that the network losing the game would get another one to replace it, but that the details on just how everything will work are still being hammered out.

It may not be the only change. In 2011, Roger Goodell said that the league would look into starting flex scheduling earlier in the season when the new television contracts went into effect in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/17/nfl-to-flex-games-between-networks-next-season/

Mo Money Mo Money

I don't think CBS or Fox will like having their prime games moved to the other network.

That's already happening, except now there will at least be a chance they can get something in return. What would you prefer if you were CBS the denver vs ks game that is only airing in those two areas, or a game later in the year that's being broadcast to the whole nation?

That's already happening, except now there will at least be a chance they can get something in return. What would you prefer if you were CBS the denver vs ks game that is only airing in those two areas, or a game later in the year that's being broadcast to the whole nation?

I'm not talking about moving games from CBS/Fox to ESPN or NBC.    If I am understanding that article correctly; the NFL will now be able to move a regional game airing on  FOX/CBS to the national time slot on CBS/FOX.  As an example in that article they used last night's Cheifs- Broncos game.  Under current rules, they could only move it to SNF.  Under the new rules next year;  the NFL could've moved that game to 4pm on FOX.  I don't think CBS would like one their games airing on Fox; which competes with them. Same thing from Fox.  Giving it up to NBC is one thing but to give up a prime AFC game to the carrier of NFC, Fox or vice versa.  Considering all the billions they are giving; I just don't see Fox and CBS liking that,

I'm not talking about moving games from CBS/Fox to ESPN or NBC.    If I am understanding that article correctly; the NFL will now be able to move a regional game airing on  FOX/CBS to the national time slot on CBS/FOX.  As an example in that article they used last night's Cheifs- Broncos game.  Under current rules, they could only move it to SNF.  Under the new rules next year;  the NFL could've moved that game to 4pm on FOX.  I don't think CBS would like one their games airing on Fox; which competes with them. Same thing from Fox.  Giving it up to NBC is one thing but to give up a prime AFC game to the carrier of NFC, Fox or vice versa.  Considering all the billions they are giving; I just don't see Fox and CBS liking that,

I guess I'm assuming it will work both ways over the long run though so that both CBS and FOX end up getting/taking the same number of games from each other. Overall more big games will be aired nationally then regionally, and that's good for the networks.

Archived