Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Trim Roster Ahead Of Cuts

OK, none of the names or moves surprises me accept one. I am a bit surprised we would waive Crawford injured. Granted, players usually clear waivers, but just last year didn't our friends from NE claim Jake Ballard from this very list? Doesn't that kind of break the lid off the "unwritten rule" of not claiming players off the waived/injured list? 

I really thought before his injury he had a chance to make the team. In addition to his injury, he must not have been having a good camp. Other than that no one surprises me. Next weeks cuts to 53 +the PS is where it will get interesting. 

The good news is that we are finally getting fairly deep, the bad news is that means we will cut some guys that will get picked up and make an impact. I will take this over the garbage we had 4 yrs ago any time. 

Here are my thoughts on a final roster - I have to confess to taking someone else's list (braindx from Stadium) and just making a few adjustments, but I think in the end many of us will be about 90 to 95% the same. 

3 ST -- Forbath, Rocca, Sundberg

26 Offense

QB (3): RG3, Cousins, Grossman

FB (1): Young

RB (4): Morris, Helu, (2 of Thompson, K Williams or Royster)

WR (6): Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Robinson, Hankerson, Lewis or Dawson

TE (4): Davis, Paulsen, Paul, Reed

OL (8): Williams, Licht, Monty, Chester, Polumbus + 3 of (Pashos, Compton, Gettis, Leribus, Trueblood, Nixon... I think Hurt is still PUP)

24 Defense

DL (6): Cofield, Bowen, Golston, Jenkins, Neild, either Baker or Merling .... Carriker IR

OLB (5): Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, Jenkins, Tapp

ILB (4): Fletcher, Riley, Kehl, Burnett,  ................................ Robinson IR

CB (5): Hall, Wilson, Biggers, Amerson, Minnifield............................. Crawford ACL'd on IR

S (4): Merriweather, Rambo, Doughty, Pugh........................................Thomas IR

PS: Murphy (CB), Gumbs (S), Jamison (RB), Compton ILB, Williams WR, either Dawson or Lewis WRs, two developmental OL

OK, none of the names or moves surprises me accept one. I am a bit surprised we would waive Crawford injured. Granted, players usually clear waivers, but just last year didn't our friends from NE claim Jake Ballard from this very list? Doesn't that kind of break the lid off the "unwritten rule" of not claiming players off the waived/injured list? 

I really thought before his injury he had a chance to make the team. In addition to his injury, he must not have been having a good camp. Other than that no one surprises me. Next weeks cuts to 53 +the PS is where it will get interesting. 

The good news is that we are finally getting fairly deep, the bad news is that means we will cut some guys that will get picked up and make an impact. I will take this over the garbage we had 4 yrs ago any time. 

Here are my thoughts on a final roster - I have to confess to taking someone else's list (braindx from Stadium) and just making a few adjustments, but I think in the end many of us will be about 90 to 95% the same. 

3 ST -- Forbath, Rocca, Sundberg

26 Offense

QB (3): RG3, Cousins, Grossman

FB (1): Young

RB (3): Morris, Helu, (2 of Thompson, K Williams or Royster)

WR (5): Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Robinson, Hankerson, Lewis or Dawson

TE (4): Davis, Paulsen, Paul, Reed

OL (8): Williams, Licht, Monty, Chester, Polumbus + 3 of (Pashos, Compton, Gettis, Leribus, Trueblood, Nixon... I think Hurt is still PUP)

24 Defense

DL (6): Cofield, Bowen, Golston, Jenkins, Neild, either Baker or Merling .... Carriker IR

OLB (5): Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, Jenkins, Tapp

ILB (4): Fletcher, Riley, Kehl, Burnett,  ................................ Robinson IR

CB (5): Hall, Wilson, Biggers, Amerson, Minnifield............................. Crawford ACL'd on IR

S (4): Merriweather, Rambo, Doughty, Pugh........................................Thomas IR

PS: Murphy (CB), Gumbs (S), Jamison (RB), Compton ILB, Williams WR, either Dawson or Lewis WRs, two developmental OL

HAIL GOSKINS10!

I see it the same way pretty much. The only difference I see is K.Williams makes the team & is our 3rd RB. Royster is released. One of the rookies gets cut & the other is on the PS. As far as the O-line goes, either Pashos or Trueblood get released. Gettis, LeRiebus & Compton are our reserves & Nixon hits the bricks.

HTTR!!!  

The trim down to 53 man roster won't be too difficult. We will lose one or two solid backups, but as Shanny said "it's a good problem to have."

Crawford would have definitely made the team if it wasn't for this injury- he was a decent DB and our KR/PR. When he went down it brought back memories of RG- Crawford clearly came off the field gimpy, then went back in on the next punt and broke himself. He tore is ACL, MCL and LCL- I'm no scientist but that sounds career-threatening.

A few comments about the below roster:

You have 24 offensive players, but wrote 26- you have 2 more openings

We will carry 9 OL (instead of 8)

Thompson will be our 3rd HB because he looks like he will be our return man

Royster is definitely gone

We will carry 5 WRs (Lewis and Dawson don't make the team unless one wins return duty)

Gomes will make the team

Really too bad Robinson and Thomas haven't gotten much experience (especially Robinson who was being groomed to be London's replacement).

Terrible that we've paid Carriker $8M to play 1 1/2 games over this year and last

Hoping Meriweather somehow stays healthy

I've been gone for a while so I just had to throw everything on the table. Hope everyone's well, HTTR

@ CTSKIN - Please look again. I have corrected the totals. I made changes to the players but did not update all the totals. I have us carrying 4RBs and 6WRs.

Having said that, I can see your scenario playing out also. I don't it being much different. There will be some surprises though.

What familiar names might they be?  lol

well as much as grossman and doughty should be on the list they probably won't at least one or the other .

but i believe some names that we know will be there just not sure who?

well heres a news flash and most of us may know this already i got a news alert on my phone .

shannahan has said that white will start and play the whole game in tampa

wow whats going, on somethings up here,hummm.....!!! 

All in for week 1

hail bruce_almty,

love that avatar !!!

silience ,we kill the cowturds!!! LOL!!!

well heres a news flash and most of us may know this already i got a news alert on my phone .

shannahan has said that white will start and play the whole game in tampa

wow whats going, on somethings up here,hummm.....!!! 

Should not be a surprise. They plan to release WHite so they are giving him a chance to put as much on tape as possible to give him a chance to land somewhere.   Despite what some people have said - those that have been banned - Mike Shannahan does care about the players. He is doing the right thing here. No need to risk rex or cousins for that matter. You know they are making the final 53 leaving white as the odd man out. Let him put 60 minutes on tape and wish him luck, of course unless he plays against us...  Also, there is the chance that if he plays well, one of the QB weak teams (Jacksonville, Buffalo, Oakland, a few others) might be willing to give up a draft pick instead of hoping they can sign him once released.  

Should not be a surprise. They plan to release WHite so they are giving him a chance to put as much on tape as possible to give him a chance to land somewhere.   Despite what some people have said - those that have been banned - Mike Shannahan does care about the players. He is doing the right thing here. No need to risk rex or cousins for that matter. You know they are making the final 53 leaving white as the odd man out. Let him put 60 minutes on tape and wish him luck, of course unless he plays against us...  lol

hail goskins, yeah it seems white might be the odd man out or they want to see how white handles the starters and if he does well then rex might odd man out or white could be trade bait and we still keep rex   who knows what 3rd qb  we keep , the shannahan plan does .LOL!!!( to para phrase that old radio show, the shadow)

Archived