Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SB Nation:Ryan Swope injury: Cardinals WR placed on reserve/retired list

CrypticVillain

By Rodger Sherman

It appears Ryan Swope will never play a down in the NFL, as the Arizona Cardinals have announced the rookie wide receiver drafted in this year's sixth round will be moved to the reserve/retired list due to nagging concussion issues.

Although the receiver who ran a 4.34 40 at the NFL Draft combine seemed like a great pick when the Cardinals selected him,

worrying signs soon began to surface. The 22-year-old had suffered two concussions playing at Texas A&M, and didn't receive medical clearance through OTA's, something that left the team "very, very surprised." Swope had been listed as a second-stringer on the Cards' depth chart behind Larry Fitzgerald.

Full Link: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/25/4558020/ryan-swope-injury-cardinals-reserve-retired-list

Man this is crazy. I hope he will be able to bounce back, but if he keeps failing the tests, it might be over for him. That sucks.

That sucks.  I feel conflicted about guys like him and Jahvid Best.  Five years ago, they'd probably both be lighting it up in training camp right now.  Today, they won't ever get the opportunity to live out their dreams.  But maybe they won't spend the rest of their lives getting severe migraines from bright lights, suffering from memory loss, etc.

I think the NFL is really cracking down on this because they want to protect themselves against future lawsuits by A. acknowledging the problem, and B. doing some about the problem. These players would have had a choice years ago, but I think a lot of teams are scared of guys who suffers concussions to the level these guys did.

That's too bad. I remember there was a good number of people here who were really high on him.

Not many in the NFL can run a sub 4.3, he would have been a difference maker, especially with Fitz on the outside and Palmer slinging it.

I was one of the guys here high on him as a slot receiver. I think he could have had a very productive NFL career but the conclusion issues were there in College and were a red flag which is why he fell so far in the draft. A real shame for him but the only sensible decision if his medical reports were so bad.

Archived