Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evolving Offense pistol 2 tight end set west coast combo

hailyeah1

Last year we saw alot of the pistol with some west coast stuff .

we really didn't see alot of  2 tightend sets since we by the end Paulsen and Paul were the only ones left.

with the drafting of Reed and healthy Davis will we more of a Patriots attack mixing pistol , Morris running and west coast passing or will it evolve into Baylor's offense racking up points?

any thoughts!!!!

We've actually been talking abou exploiting multiple tight end formations for years.  Remember, the chatter about what Cooley and Davis could achieve together?

For some reason, it has never come together.  I don't think it will this year either.  I think the Shanahans believe in a powerful run game and getting chunks through the air with multiple receiver sets.  Maybe Davis or Reed or even Paul can one day be the reincarnation of Shanon Sharpe, but I don't think we'll see the offense built around tight end sets.

With Cooley and Davis...well, the first two years were basically a wash, with Zorn's offense and Cooley getting hurt.

The first year with Shanahan, the o-line was so poor that we had trouble getting the ball to one tight end. There were lots of times where Cooley didn't get the ball until late in games because we had to keep him and Fred in to block.

The second year, Cooley was hurt in camp, and then carried that injury into the season, and then got put on IR.

And the third year, Cooley got hurt, and then Fred got hurt.

I think we want to do it, it's just never been the right time to do it. The Texans use their tight ends a lot --- but the again, they use them a lot because they don't have any production out of receivers opposite Andre Johnson.

I believe this year will be the start of the dual TE set becoming successful in Washington using the Pistol formation. However Reed being the Joker TE he is capable of being will line up as a slot receiver or maybe he will come out of the backfield as well.

Archived