Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another cruise thread for the experts.

Art

Ok guys, and especially Vic, who seems to be the master :).

Do you have to take your passport or in my case birth certificate with you every time you depart the ship? If so, my worry is security I guess. If my wife and I are in the water snorkeling, what happens if someone grabs our bag and goes. Can I still get back on the ship?

Also, I bought a lot of shore passes already. Did most of you do that too, or do you kind of go on your own? I may have more questions, but that's it for now.

When I was working ships (1992-1996) all passengers had to do to reboard the ship was show their boarding pass/room key. As staff we had picture ID's.

Nowadays I know security is supertight - but I thought passengers were issued electronic room keys that also served as their ID's/boarding passes. I would be very uncomfortable taking my passport off the ship! I'm sure you could call Royal Carribbean and ask... or even check their website. They may have a FAQ page.

As for tours, I think the majority of passengers purchase the tours from the cruise line. Honestly, a lot of the tours are a major rip-off as you could get off the ship and arrange the exact same tour for a lot less. But I WOULD arrange the Dunns River tour (Jamaica) with the cruise line. If you tried to arrange a tour on your own in Jamaica you will get seriously scammed! Stick with the ship tours in Jamaica. In Cozumel you can easily do everything yourself. But if you don't want the hassle/aren't a real adventuresome type, then stick with the ship tours. Then you don't have to worry about it and since you're on vacation it should all be about not worrying!

When I've gone on a cruise the room key thingy was all you needed to reboard, but that was pre-9/11. Might be different now, but most people would share your discomfort at carrying the passport everywhere so I can't see that would be necessary. Ask 'em.

As for the tours, it depends on the individual. Most are overpriced, and some - pet the manta rays, explore the Ancient Temple of Doom (name made up for tourists) - are dopey, but still can be fun. Like Vic said, you can do better on your own, but it takes some research and since you don't know the people involved I imagine you could do worse too. There's gotta be some comfort level in going with a guy the cruise line has dealt with before.

The one thing I'd recommend is to avoid those all-you-can-drink party boat excursions. They can be a lot of fun, and you can even get your money's worth, but did you really go to all that trouble to achieve the same hangover you could get at home?

I just got back last week from a cruise to Montego Bay, Jamaica, George Town, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico. I was on the Carnival Conquest.

Carnival issues a "Sign & Sail" card to you when before you board the ship. This card is your room key, credit card (while on board) & boarding pass to re-board the ship. This card is also sufficient to get through customs on the way back to the ship. Except for Mexico where we were asked to show a picture ID as well.

The excursions were extremely pricey. My wife and I purchased them while on board. We went snorkeling in Montego Bay, fed the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman and went horse back riding in Mexico. We had a blast each time but spent a minimum of $40 per person on each one, the most expensive ranged in the neighborhood of $90 per person.

If you go to Cozumel make sure you check out Carlos'n Charlie's. We had a good time at Margaritaville in Montego Bay, but Carlos'n Charlie's was ridiculous. It was one of the wildest restaurants I have ever been to.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more info.

Archived