Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins name..... Tired of the misleading information

Lavarleap56

This is the way I feel. And if I'm called "cracker" one more time, I'm going to lawyer up.
Cracka ass cracka! :ols:

This "debate" is always carried by the usual suspects. And inevitably, the term "blackskins" will be thrown out as proof of the offesniveness of the word. And yet I never see the necessary retort - when you refer to someone as black, you are referring to them as black-skinned. When you refer to someone as white, you are referring to someone as white-skinned. Is that offensive? I know we have crossed the PC line a long tome ago, but do we now require everyone be referred to by their ancestorial home? Are all blacks to be referred to as African American even though some of them cannot trace their roots back to Africa? Are all whites to be referred to as European Americans, even though some can't trace their roots back to Europe? We are quickly getting to the land of ridiculous. Just MHO.

Cracka ass cracka! :ols:

This "debate" is always carried by the usual suspects. And inevitably, the term "blackskins" will be thrown out as proof of the offesniveness of the word. And yet I never see the necessary retort - when you refer to someone as black, you are referring to them as black-skinned. When you refer to someone as white, you are referring to someone as white-skinned. Is that offensive? I know we have crossed the PC line a long tome ago, but do we now require everyone be referred to by their ancestorial home? Are all blacks to be referred to as African American even though some of them cannot trace their roots back to Africa? Are all whites to be referred to as European Americans, even though some can't trace their roots back to Europe? We are quickly getting to the land of ridiculous. Just MHO.

You're lucky you said Cracka and not Cracker or I would have dialed 1-800-law-yers immediately.

That's all fine and dandy, but the question is, do the majority of Native Americans actually find the name "Redskins" disparaging? Or is it just a tiny minority? And if it is a tiny minority, how large does that tiny minority need to be to justify that they have an issue? I know this may be a sensitive issue, but surely there has to be some sort of defined number or percentage of people that truly find the word insulting before there is some sort of court ruling. Otherwise anybody can go about changing anything.

After all, there is a High School on a Navajo Reservation in Red Mesa, Arizona with a sports team called the Redskins. So how do they explain that?

By the way, the next guy that calls me a "ging-guh", I'm taking to court.

>> MTH - You need to sue those jerks at Canada Dry (..and Ginger Ale doesn't even have beer in it...what a crock)....Btw, the SI article mentions the stats you are looking for. Yes, these are the stats we're looking for:

Asked if they were offended by the name Redskins, 75% of Native American respondents in SI's poll said they were not, and even on reservations, where Native American culture and influence are perhaps felt most intensely, 62% said they weren't offended. Overall, 69% of Native American respondents—and 57% of those living on reservations—feel it's O.K. for the Washington Redskins to continue using the name. "I like the name Redskins," says Mark Timentwa, 50, a member of the Colville Confederated Tribes in Washington State who lives on the tribes' reservation. "A few elders find it offensive, but my mother loves the Redskins."

Only 29% of Native Americans, and 40% living on reservations, thought Snyder should change his team's name. Such indifference implies a near total disconnect between Native American activists and the general Native American population on this issue. "To a lot of the younger folks the name Redskins is tied to the football team, and it doesn't represent anything more than the team," says Roland McCook, a member of the tribal council of the Ute tribe in Fort Duchesne, Utah.

Well, i dont think the nfl will let the redskin win a championship with a name like the redskins...

I guess we go with the Greedy Goldstiens or maybe the ooh, ooh, i got it! Watermelon Windchimes.

Sounds like a great name, whatever you know, so long as its not the teawop tatertots.

Archived