Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YouTube(TED): Steven Pinker: The surprising decline in violence

alexey

Steven Pinker has been doing some interesting research on violence... Here is a TED talk about the topic:

He also wrote a big book called "The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined" that is probably available at your local library.

I think it is interesting to realize that the 20th century has actually been less violent than many think (in terms of percentages) and just how peaceful and humane the modern world has become.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I suspect he left out a few important things based on the direction he was going:

1. Medical care. We see that clearly with Iraq. There's not doubt that people that have things like head traumas and limbs missing that have survived in Iraq that would not have survived in Vietnam, much less primitive hunter gather cultures where a simple wound and the resulting infection can kill you. The samething for assault. What today would be an assualt that would leave you in the hospitial less than 2 days not to long ago would have resulted in you losing a limb and likely dying of a secondary infection.

Comparing deaths between today's societies and those societies will be a HUGE issue.

2. Increased technology in terms of communication, transportation, and crime fighting. Committing a crime in NY and running to VA is no longer really a good option. NY can easilty transmit your picture, finger prints to VA and have you sent back via car, train, or plane.

Simply speaking, crime is less likely to pay.

3. Nuclear weapons and the inability to realibly interdict them based on current technology. I doubt WWII would have happened if nuclear weapons had been developed before hand. The idea that you can a large scale war between large nation states requires a level of dillusion that it did not require before development of nuclear weapons.

Interesting that you post that on the same day I see this:

Obviously anecdotal and does nothing to disprove his point.

Oh, and BTW, apparently that's a trend in the UK now called Happy Slapping:

Horrible stuff... :( makes it very difficult to remember that we have a natural tendency to greatly exaggerate the prevalence and likelihood of such things.

Archived