Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Talks With Champ have Porgress

StevieInferior

Looks like this will finish up like the Jansen situation

Redskins | Negotiations Resume With Bailey - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:11:38 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Washington Redskins are making progress in their contract negotiations with CB Champ Bailey on a contract extension. Bailey is set to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, and if his contract is not completed before the end of the season, the team will place the franchise tag on him.

Originally posted by ADF

If we get Champ signed, our first and second round picks for next year should be D-linemen.

yup, I can see that one now too...

Taglibue: "With their first pick in the 2004 NFL draft, the Washington Redskins choos John Abraham, DE, New York Jets.

Originally posted by StevieSuperior

Looks like this will finish up like the Jansen situation

Redskins | Negotiations Resume With Bailey - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:11:38 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Washington Redskins are making progress in their contract negotiations with CB Champ Bailey on a contract extension. Bailey is set to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, and if his contract is not completed before the end of the season, the team will place the franchise tag on him.

Hey folks, let's stick to primary sources where possible.

KFFL has mischaracterized the Lenny report. Lenny did not say there was "progress in negotiations." He said the team intended to try again in the next month. Big difference. All it indicates is continued interest on the part of the team to get a deal done. It says nothing about Champ's willingness to be signed prior to free agency.

Everything we've heard from Champ indicates he wants to be a free agent, since he's dismissed the rather generous prior offer of the team without so much as a counter-offer.

Here's the full Lenny report that KFFL garbled:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1629581

We've noted this once before but now it is picking up some momentum. Look for the Washington Redskins, within the next month, to make another foray toward signing cornerback Champ Bailey to a contract extension. If the move fails, the Redskins will use the "franchise" designation on Bailey, now in the final year of his contract, next spring.

I am still in shock that his agent claimed that the Skins initial offer was so insulting that it didn't even garner a counter-offer. I mean I could see if Bailey was looking for numbers a bit higher, but to say that contract offer wasn't even in the ballpark!?! I have a feeling Champ will get paid less as a Franchise Tagger, then if he just agrees to the Skins next offer.

Originally posted by Symbol

yup, I can see that one now too...

Taglibue: "With their first pick in the 2004 NFL draft, the Washington Redskins choos John Abraham, DE, New York Jets.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Hahaha, I will get enough laughs from that in order to last me until gametime tomorrow.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Hahaha, I will get enough laughs from that in order to last me until gametime tomorrow.

Well, the way I see it, we give the Jets first round picks so they can develop the players for us. Makes since, being that we treated them like a farm league team this season.

Archived