Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Ice vs. III

MattFancy

I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that the supporting cast as you describe it is not vital to a QBs development and success. However it still took Young to buy into what Shanny was selling and teaching - it was not until his 3rd year in that system and under Shanny that he started to become the QB we all remember. Some QBs with great talent just never get it whatever the supporting cast ...

It was more than JUST the supporting cast however defined that accounts for the change in Young in SF and in Tampa. It was a big part though I will give you that.

Whatever Steve Young brought to the 49ers, mentally or physically, did not change from the person and athlete he was in Tampa Bay. Let's call that his "potential performance."

His potential performance did not change but his actual performance was greatly improved in San Francisco.

The conclusion to my argument is this: We cannot fairly grade and compare QBs on their actual performances which are so drastically influenced by their supporting casts. One QB might be playing to 80% of his potential while another is at 50%. We cannot tell which QB has the greater potential by watching their actual performances or by looking at stats which measure the actual performance.

Whatever Steve Young brought to the 49ers, mentally or physically, did not change from the person and athlete he was in Tampa Bay. Let's call that his "potential performance."

His potential performance did not change but his actual performance was greatly improved in San Francisco.

The conclusion to my argument is this: We cannot fairly grade and compare QBs on their actual performances which are so drastically influenced by their supporting casts. One QB might be playing to 80% of his potential while another is at 50%. We cannot tell which QB has the greater potential by watching their actual performances or by looking at stats which measure the actual performance.

No argument from me on the above. But I would argue that it's more than just the supporting cast which is the key to unlocking that potential performance, some of that comes from inside the player - and that's where intangibles come into it.

Archived