Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post Game: The Truth is Out There

MattFancy

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/hruby-tuesday/201205/conspiracy-theory-david-stern-michael-phelps-patrick-ewing-michael-jordan

"You know," says the magician, "it's very easy to fix flipping a coin." For instance: The tosses before football games. Turns out they're totally riggable. Even with a straight coin. Con men know how. So does the magician, Richard Kaufman. He's in his 50s, has dark, curly hair, works as the editor of Genii, the nation's leading magic magazine. Specializes in card tricks. Only now, here in the sunlit kitchen of his suburban Washington, D.C. home, he's talking tumbling coins.

Heads or tails. Even odds. As indifferent as the universe itself, like the flips that sent Lew Alcindor to the Milwaukee Bucks, Bill Walton to the Portland Trail Blazers, Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon to the Houston Rockets.

Unless ...

"See, when you flip in the air, you can get the toss location like this," Kaufman explains, losing me with a single, rapid hand flourish. "Heads side always to the left. Tails side to the right. It looks like it's spinning. But it's not. It's a true illusion."

Probably the most interesting thing you'll read all day. Do I believe it all? No. But some of it seems very plausible.

Very interesting article. I think a lot of what he says makes sense. I also think a lot of people would deny that an invisible hand is involved in sports because they want to believe it's truly uncorrupted. The stuff about especially is riveting. I believe that Phelps did not win that race. Why would they wait a week to release SOME pictures, but refuse to release the HD quality video they have of the race finish?

Have you ever just seen an NFL game where you swore the refs were favoring one team? I think this article makes it a little easier to believe it. In both the Steeler's recent Superbowls there have been some VERY questionable calls. Remember James Harrison's 100 yard INT return a couple years back? There were multiple blatant block in the back fouls that weren't called. What about the Seattle Superbowl? There were some absolutely bs calls made in that game. Remember Hasselbeck getting called for some type of blocking penalty? Or Big Ben not actually scoring the TD? All I know is I'm going to be watching sports with a lot more scrutiny.

---------- Post added June-5th-2012 at 09:07 PM ----------

Very interesting article. I think a lot of what he says makes sense. I also think a lot of people would deny that an invisible hand is involved in sports because they want to believe it's truly uncorrupted. The stuff about Phelps is especially is riveting. I believe that Phelps did not win that race. Why would they wait a week to release SOME pictures, but refuse to release the HD quality video they have of the race finish?

Have you ever just seen an NFL game where you swore the refs were favoring one team? I think this article makes it a little easier to believe it. In both the Steeler's recent Superbowls there have been some VERY questionable calls. Remember James Harrison's 100 yard INT return a couple years back? There were multiple blatant block in the back fouls that weren't called. What about the Seattle Superbowl? There were some absolutely bs calls made in that game. Remember Hasselbeck getting called for some type of blocking penalty? Or Big Ben not actually scoring the TD? All I know is I'm going to be watching sports with a lot more scrutiny.

Archived