Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking for Advice on Finding a Rental House in D.C.

Hubbs

So I'm looking with a group of at least three other people (possibly more) at moving into DC from the 'burbs and renting out a house. We're doing the usual Craigslist hunting, but beyond that we haven't found any other websites or listings that aren't total crap. We haven't managed to find anything we really like, so I figured I might as well ask as many people as possible for ways to discover available houses. Obviously we could call up a realtor, but we'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

A realtor doesn't cost you money. Seems silly not to use one. Nice places aren't going to want to deal with craigs list.

A realtor doesn't cost money? Maybe I've just had experiences with bad realtors, but how exactly does a realtor do his/her job without getting paid?

They get commission from the seller.

But I'm not buying, I'm renting. Maybe I, and everyone who I lived with in Boston, and everyone else who I knew who rented an apartment in Boston, were all completely naive when we went through our search, but if we used realtors to find a place we all paid them something. Maybe it was some weird state law in Massachusetts, I don't know.

Ahh yeah I meant to also say that many realtors will help renters also.

They sometimes will receive a month's rent from the landlord in order to help them find tenants.

Also got this from realtor.com:

http://www.realtor.com/blogs/2011/09/26/how-do-i-find-someone-to-help-me-rent-a-home/

Hmmm. Maybe I should make a few calls tomorrow, although even if the "landlord is paying," that would still affect the final price paid by renters.

(By the way, just to clarify, my last post wasn't supposed to be sarcastic in any way. There really is a chance that everyone I knew in Boston got hosed by realtors. We were a bunch of college kids, doing something dumb was an everyday occurrence.)

Hmmm. Maybe I should make a few calls tomorrow, although even if the "landlord is paying," that would still affect the final price paid by renters.

(By the way, just to clarify, my last post wasn't supposed to be sarcastic in any way. There really is a chance that everyone I knew in Boston got hosed by realtors. We were a bunch of college kids, doing something dumb was an everyday occurrence.)

:ols: I think you are right, they can charge a fee up there. Out of curiosity I decided to look around and found this:

(3) Fees For Service. No real estate broker shall charge any fee to a prospective tenant unless a tenancy is created or in those cases where no tenancy in real property is created unless the prospective tenant has agreed in writing to pay such a fee.

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/re/regulations/rules-and-regs/254-cmr-700.html

Archived