Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best CB in league?

Thinking Skins

Okay, I know we've probably talked about this before, I laugh everytime I see that signature pronouncing Champ as the best, but do you guys really think that Champ is the absolute best CB in the league? I'm thinking of other recent high draft picks who may or may not be better. The names Charles Woodson, Bryant Westbrook and Shawn Springs come to mind as young corners who may compare as far as talent levels. What do you guys think?

I don't know that any one of the top 3, 4 or 5 CBs in the league stand head and shoulders above the rest. They play different styles so it's hard to call one better than the other.

CB is one position where a lack of statistics is a positive so it's hard to try to gauge the best by any statistical method.

I'm admittedly biased, but I think Champ is as good as any other CB in the league. There is not another CB I would trade him for, but I can envision Raider fans saying the same about Woodson. Miami fans will take Madison. And so on.

Reputation is the most important thing for a Cornerback. Darrell Green and Deion Sanders were so legendary that quarterbacks would almost never throw their direction. Were they the best cornerbacks in the NFL? Probably top five, but their reputations were just as important as their play. Champ Bailey has garnered a reputation in a short period of time that has puts him at the top. The reason is that he played last year with DG and DS and outperformed them. That means instant "mystique" and branding as the best. Doesn't matter if his play is better than Woodson's or not. People are also awed that Champ is a dual position player. I know, Woodson is too, but he isn't anywhere close to being the receiver that CB was in college. CB was listed as a blue chip draft pick. He's golden, plus he's a dream come true in the personality department. I picked up 100 rookie cards of his because I sensed all of this. Finally, his name is Champ for goodness sake. He's on his way to being a "one name" person like Deion, Michael, or Tiger.

------------------

"My childhood was typical... summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds... pretty standard, really." - Dr. Evil

Champ is top two.

Who put on the defensive show in the Pro Bowl?

Answer Champ.

Westbrook went thru a pass interference funk in 99 and part of last year if you remember.

Springs it seemed everytime I saw a seahawk game was giving up a drive extending pass completion and didn't look so great last night before his hamstring went out on him.

------------------

Take a sip of the Marty Kool Aid and Believe

Archived