Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Trent Williams tested positive 10 times READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE SO YOU DON'T LOOK DUMB :)

skinfan2k

I think the real problem with this whole situation is that the NFL drug tests for recreational drugs and sees fit to punish players for recreational drug use. That's really none of their business and it doesn't effect the game. It's only an issue because they make it one. It's stupid and needs to be changed.

It's their league, and I'm sure the NFL feels that the conduct of players represents the league as a whole. They have every right to expect the players to refrain from behavior that's illegal (generally speaking) in the first place.

Teams even have players sign contracts that prohibit them from doing perfectly legal, but somewhat dangerous activities. Whatever your opinion on marijuana itself, the bottom line is that players violated a contract they knowingly signed, and are subject to disciplinary action from their employer.

Should they be allowed to? Maybe. I don't know. Honestly don't care much. They signed a document stating that they wouldn't.

its freaking ganja, who cares if he likes to toke, it will probably be decriminalized anyways

See above.

It's their league, and I'm sure the NFL feels that the conduct of players represents the league as a whole. They have every right to expect the players to refrain from behavior that's illegal (generally speaking) in the first place.

Teams even have players sign contracts that prohibit them from doing perfectly legal, but somewhat dangerous activities. Whatever your opinion on marijuana itself, the bottom line is that players violated a contract they knowingly signed, and are subject to disciplinary action from their employer.

Should they be allowed to? Maybe. I don't know. Honestly don't care much. They signed a document stating that they wouldn't.

That's the losing sight of the forest through the trees outlook.

They should be punished for the sake of enforcing an arbitrary rule? It's a dumb and unnecessary rule that impinges on personal liberty. That's the real problem that needs to be changed.

Further, in a situation like Trent's and Fred's, no one would even be aware of their recreational drug use if they hadn't been tested for the drugs and failed. The NFL draws attention to the behavior by it's own unnecessary testing and it's attitude toward marijuana's use.

When prescribed by a doctor, the use of marijuana is not illegal in Colorado. But it *is* on the list of NFL banned substances. So, for me, its not about legal or illegal because its not illegal here where the Bronco players live. Its about the NFL policy, and nothing else.

No state that has medical marijuana allows its doctors to *prescribe* marijuana because the DEA will yank their licenses. However, those same doctors can *recommend* marijuana and that essentially suffices as a prescription under said statutes. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled on both issues -- doctors cannot prescribe, because that's regulated by the federal government, but *recommending* it is a First Amendment issue.

Archived