Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From NFL.COM-Davis, Hamlin, Cundiff earn NFC honors (NO LOVE!!!)

freakofthesouth

NFL.COM

Davis, Hamlin, Cundiff earn NFC honors

(Sept. 17, 2003) -- Running back Stephen Davis of the Carolina Panthers, safety Ken Hamlin of the Seattle Seahawks and kicker Billy Cundiff of the Dallas Cowboys are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played the second week of the 2003 season, the NFL announced.

Davis played a vital role in helping the Panthers upend the defending Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12-9 in overtime at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. The running back carried 33 times for 142 yards, the sixth-highest total against the Bucs since 1995.

Davis helped the Panthers set the tempo on the team's first possession, carrying five times for 50 yards and setting up the first of kicker John Kasay's four field goals, which gave Carolina a 3-0 advantage.

The two-time Pro Bowler saved perhaps his most important run for overtime. After punt returner Steve Smith's 52-yard return gave Carolina possession at the Buccaneers' 40-yard line, the Panthers called Davis' number on the ensuing play. His 10-yard carry put Carolina in field-goal range, and four plays later, Kasay's 47-yard field goal gave the Panthers a victory.

"They're the Super Bowl champs and that's a great football team we beat," Davis said. "We fought hard and never gave up. We stayed together and did whatever it took to win the game."

In his eighth season out of Auburn, this is Davis' second Player of the Week award.

Ken Hamlin forces this first-quarter fumble by Anquan Boldin.

Hamlin earned defensive honors for his play in the Seahawks' 38-0 road win over the NFC West rival Arizona Cardinals, finishing with eight tackles, one interception and one forced fumble.

Hamlin was in on three first-quarter turnovers, helping set the tone for Seattle, which posted its first shutout since a 38-0 blanking of the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 6, 1998.

On the game's first play from scrimmage, Hamlin forced a fumble with a jarring hit at the Arizona 37-yard line. The loose ball was recovered by cornerback Marcus Trufant and returned to the 6. Three plays later, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck's 2-yard touchdown run gave Seattle a 7-0 advantage.

On the Cardinals' very next possession, Hamlin helped thwart a drive by deflecting a pass that was ultimately intercepted by safety Reggie Tongue. Hamlin completed his impressive threesome with an aggressive tackle that jarred the ball loose from a receiver and enabled linebacker Chad Brown to record his first interception since the 2000 season.

Hamlin recorded his first career interception late in the fourth quarter at the Seahawks 8-yard line, helping preserve the shutout and end Arizona's final scoring threat of the game.

"We are trying to find our identity," Hamlin said. "One thing we need to do is to play aggressively. We have to do that week in and week out to be successful."

In his rookie season out of Arkansas, this is Hamlin's first Player of the Week award.

Cundiff connected on 7 of 8 field-goal attempts in the Cowboys' thrilling 35-32 overtime victory over the New York Giants, tying the NFL record and becoming the fourth player in NFL history with seven field goals in a game. Former Cowboys' kicker Chris Boniol was the last player to accomplish the feat, converting seven field goals in a 21-6 win over the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 18, 1996.

Cundiff's career-long 52-yard field goal as time expired tied the game at 32-32 and forced overtime. His 25-yarder in the extra session gave Dallas the victory. Cundiff was also good from 37, 49, 42, 21 and 36 yards.

"I had to do what I did today so we could get the win," Cundiff said. "I do the same thing every time I attempt a kick. I make sure I breathe, I relax and then I go ahead and kick the ball."

In his second season from Drake, this is Cundiff's second Player of the Week award.

Other nominees for NFC Offensive Player of Week 2 were:

St. Louis quarterback MARC BULGER, who completed 25 of 36 attempts for 236 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions in the Rams' 27-24 overtime win over San Francisco.

Minnesota quarterback DAUNTE CULPEPPER, who completed 20 of 26 attempts for 214 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions in the Vikings' 24-13 win over Chicago.

Green Bay running back AHMAN GREEN, who carried 23 times for 160 yards, including a 65-yard touchdown run, in the Packers' 31-6 win over Detroit.

Seattle wide receiver DARRELL JACKSON, who had three receptions for 133 yards, including touchdown catches of 55 and 66 yards against Arizona.

Tampa Bay wide receiver KEYSHAWN JOHNSON, who posted nine receptions for 102 yards against Carolina.

Minnesota running back MOE WILLIAMS, who rushed for 108 yards on 21 carries, including a 1-yard touchdown run. He also added four receptions for 50 yards.

Other nominees for NFC Defensive Player of Week 2 were:

Tampa Bay defensive end SIMEON RICE, who had six tackles, one sack, one interception and one forced fumble.

Green Bay rookie linebacker NICK BARNETT, who had 14 tackles and his first career interception.

New Orleans defensive end WILLIE WHITEHEAD, who posted a career-best eight tackles and tied a career high with two sacks in the Saints' 31-10 win over Houston.

St. Louis defensive end GRANT WISTROM, who had seven tackles and a career-best seven quarterback pressures.

Other nominees for NFC Special Teams Player of Week 2 were:

Carolina kicker JOHN KASAY, who connected on all four field goals, including a 47-yard overtime game-winner.

Carolina defensive tackle KRIS JENKINS, who blocked two kicks, including an extra point with no time remaining, to force overtime.

St. Louis rookie kick returner ARLEN HARRIS, who averaged 30.3 yards per return, including a 42-yard return on the overtime kickoff.

Carolina punt returner STEVE SMITH, who averaged 22.0 yards on three returns, including a 52-yard return in overtime to help set the stage for Kasay's game-winning field goal.

St. Louis kicker JEFF WILKINS, who connected on both field-goal attempts, including the game-winning 28-yarder in overtime.

*Ramsey and CO. didn't get any love. Not Ramsey, and not Coles. Sometimes, I feel like that's a good thing; but if Ramsey/Coles had career days, why not even a mention?

WTF??!?@?@?! THIS IS UTTER BS!

I'm sorry, did Ramsey not lead the NFC in passing yards and rating this Sunday? Did he not lead his team after getting sacked 5 times in the first HALF from a 17-0 DEFICIT????

Coles didn't get nominated, but MEShawn did? Uh, Coles led the NFC in receiving yards this week...HELLO!??!

Maybe, just MAYBE you can count out Ramsey because of the fumbles - even though he threw for over 100 yards more than both Bulger and Culpepper.

Maybe you can say Darrell Jackson had 1 more TD than LC, even though LC had 47 more yards.

But there is NO WAY Keyshawn should be there. Both Coles and Gardner had more yards than he did - and they actually scored!

By fantasy points, there were 10 NFC receivers with more points in week 2. Why is this guy such a media darling? He's not particularly clever, good looking, or charismatic? He's a decent posession receiver, and that's it.

I think Coles not being mentioned here is a slap in the face.

Damn right it is. The problem with Ramsey not getting nominated is that he was MUCH more critical to his victory over a SUPERIOR team than Culpepper was over the Bears. Ramsey played a better game vs. a better team, one that was in the playoffs last year AND he brought them back from 17 and then 10 down.

And for Coles, who came back from a sprained neck...you know what, we should know now that there is some kind of bias in this league against the Skins, or at least in the media.

Archived