Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why will/won't your team get to the Super Bowl? Let's hear it

brdawk20

Tell me why your team can make it to the Super Bowl and why it can't get there.

Eagles

Why we can make it:

--powerful offensive with multiple weapons, potential to finish number one

--we finally have multiple corners who can cover, and the safties aren't as bad as people think. Nate Allen showed much promise before he was hurt, and Coleman has been a surprise. Those two plus the three CB's on passing downs should shut down the passing game.

--Trent Cole has a very good pass rusher in Babin to help him in passing downs. Eagles will get sacks this year.

Why we can't make it:

--No team I can remember ever started two rookies on the o-line for the year and made it to the SB

--If Justice can't play RT, Vick will be hurt by week 6--and Justice is only average

--Who helps Jenkins stuff the run? How ready will Patterson, never a good run stuffer, be?

--Linebackers are very speedy, eager--and young, small, and inexperienced, with no projected starter having more than 3 years, mostly in a rotational setting.

--How will Castillo handle the D? (I think he'll be fine, and I'm saying this because he's my neighbor. The guy really knows football).

I see a team with Vick, McCoy, Jackson, Macklin, Smith, Avant, and Celek (still a good TE) that will put up points. The left side of the o-line is one of the best in the league.

I also see a team with a rookie center, rookie RG, who knows who at RT, a rookie MLB, a rookie kicker and punter, and four other starters on Def with 3 years or less experience.

The Eagles will make the playoffs. They will not get past the first round.

I'll take a stab at this...

Redskins:

Why they will make the Super Bowl:

-- Everyone's overlooking them. In a season where they have pretty much already been written off, they're in position to surprise a lot of teams

-- The attitude of the team has changed. Shanahan got rid of all the "me" players; everyone on the team now buys into the system

-- The offense: quarterbacks who know it and run it VERY well, running backs and receivers who know their roles, and a line that fits the ZBS perfectly

-- Secondary: Landry was all-pro before his injury. Atogwe is a turnover machine. Our corners are good enough to hold their own.

-- Linebackers and D-line: Everyone fits the 3-4 now. We have two good OLBs, who are more competent in coverage than expected, and are outstanding pass rushers. The D line is getting a push up the middle finally.

Why they won't:

-- Too many new players, be it through the draft or free agency. Need time to gel together.

-- If Landry can't get healthy, the drop-off in skill to his backup is gigantic.

-- D-Line depth. After the starters and one or two backups, there really isn't anything there

-- O-Line depth. Look above

-- How will the QB situation play out? Will there be a locker room rift?

Dallas Cowboys

Why they will win:

--Tony Romo sits to pee returns to lead a high powered offense featuring two very good WRs and the best TE in football

--Felix Jones is healthy and looks poised to have a monster year both running the ball and receiving out of the backfield.

--Last year after Garrett took over only 1 team scored more TDs than the Cowboys, the New England Patriots.

Why they won't win

--The defense looks horrible and will give up countless yards against the pass.

--The o-line is completely revamped with hardly any veteran leadership to stabilize it.

--Counting on Felix at RB who has a long history of injuries and has never been the #1 back.

It's tough to do this without listing some items in both categories. But I'll try:

New York Giants:

Why they will win:

--Eli Manning won't throw as many INTs as last year. His INT total was more than 2008 & 2009 combined. 2010 was an aberration, not the trend (uh..hopefully ;) ).

--Great 1-2 WR Duo: Despite neither player starting 16 games, Manningham and Nicks combined for more TDs than any other WR duo in the league.

--JPP's development will only strengthen one of the best D-line's in the league

--The Giants weren't as bad as everyone like to think in 2010. Despite leading the league in give-aways, the giants were still only 1 game out of the playoffs last year.

--Kenny Phillips will finally be 100% from his knee injury 2 years ago. That should strengthen up the Safety position

--Special Teams improvements: With Dodge (hopefully) gone and Weatherford in at punter, the special teams should improve. Hixon back as a gunner should also help.

Why they won't win

--Who will Eli throw to on 3rd down? Smith and Boss were both big 3rd down targets last year and they are both gone.

--Giants are thin at CB. Until Amukamura comes back, the giants really only have 2 good CBs on the roster. Even after Amukamura comes back he will be way behind as a rookie with the wacky off-season.

--Reshuffled o-line will take time to gel.

--LB Remains a weakness on D. Kiwi will need time to settle in back at SLB and Goff's play may not improve

--End of the year swoon: Once again the 2nd half of the schedule is much harder for the giants this year. Given their history of doing poorly in November and December the last few years, it doesn't look good for a playoff run.

Archived