Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Randy Edsall: Maryland's New Football Unis Have No Names on the Back

Goingforburgundy

http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/7/22/2288888/randy-edsall-marylands-new-football-unis-have-no-names-on-the-back

It's a pretty unique set-up, of course. The only two situations I can think of it being used in are for tradition-filled teams - Penn State and USC - and teams in need of discipline - Miami when Randy Shannon took over. Last time I checked ... neither of those are Maryland, at least not right now. (Oh, and UConn, his last team. Perhaps we should've seen this coming.)

star-divide.v777cf8a.jpg

And though I do understand where he's coming from, doesn't this torpedo the whole reason to get new jerseys, ie coolness? New jerseys are cool. So is seeing your name on the back of one. If Maryland's trying to go the Oregon route, going the hardass, no-name way isn't really that smart of a venture.

I have to say, I'm not exactly impressed or pleased by Edsall here. Most players will be fine with it, sure. The thing is, some won't. Like it or not, some (most?) players like to see their name on the jersey. They are individuals, after all, and reducing them to a number won't work with everyone. Taking them away because it's not "your style" seems ... I don't know, a bit egomaniacal. A bit my-way-or-the-highway, for a reason I just don't understand.

I really like this and im sure UA will come up with some nice design for them as well

I'm fine with it, and actually like the idea of no names.

terpsunis0711c.jpg?uuid=KUqJYqvbEeCagMRrnLElXw

Uni-watch says these are the combos possibly coming. Here is a link to closer up pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/82534854@N00/sets/72157626976543243/show/

I know Bama does it. But I would love to see a players number on the Helmet...well, that's a thing I would like the Skins to do. But still, Terps also.

Not a big fan of "no name" jerseys

#55 with the tackle

Who's that

Hmm

The name IMO is not for ego purposes, it's for identification

if you are watching the game, they'll tell you.

if you are at the game and don't know the players names from their numbers, you probably don't give a **** anyways.

WVU uses names on the back of their jerseys.

I mean if I were to roll down the street and see a Redskins jersey without the name on the back, how am I supposed to know who that is

Listen, I know a few Redskins #'s like everyone knows 26 back when he actually played for the Redskins, and 5 and 8 (Grossman?) but there are a few that you may not know

I just never brought the excuse that the team takes jersey names off for "team purposes" or "the number matters, not the name", that's ridiculous

Not a big fan of "no name" jerseys

#55 with the tackle

Who's that

Hmm

The name IMO is not for ego purposes, it's for identification

No, the numbers themselves are for identification purposes. Broadcasters get charts with names, numbers and positions; whether or not there's a name on the jersey. They'll tell you who did what.

Archived