Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Pirate" Started Georgetown Nightclub that Became the Bayou: WP

Dan T.

And after reading that article, how wild is it that U2 opened for The Slickee Boys?

I was at that show (Dec. 1980) and they have the order backwards. The Slickees opened for U2.

Edit: supposedly, the original plan was for U2 to open, but the plan got changed after the promoters realized that the first U2 album was beginning to sell pretty well. Still, the place was probably only half full.

good show. :)

I was at that show (Dec. 1980) and they have the order backwards. The Slickees opened for U2.

Edit: supposedly, the original plan was for U2 to open, but the plan got changed after the promoters realized that the first U2 album was beginning to sell pretty well. Still, the place was probably only half full.

I had heard it the other way around but nothing trumps a fist hand account. So let it be written, so let it be done.

I used to just love going there and drink the coors beer they served. They played Shook Me All Night Long quite a few times on the stereo speakers. Then they had this band that I saw there so many times, I think they were a local band but they seemed exactly like Poison with the big hair and pretty boy singer, wish I remembered their name. Also watched the Redskins Superbowl there, then spilled into the streets of Georgetown to celebrate. I miss those times.
Stumbling drunk around Georgetown or the Redskins being in playoff contention? ;-)

Then they had this band that I saw there so many times, I think they were a local band but they seemed exactly like Poison with the big hair and pretty boy singer, wish I remembered their name.

Are you thinking of "4 Out of 5 Doctors"? They were a local band whose debut album was really good - kind of an 80's new wave sound. They played at the Bayou a couple times. I saw them once there and fans came dressed in surgical scrubs and masks. They cut a second album and then kind of fizzled out.

Are you thinking of "4 Out of 5 Doctors"? They were a local band whose debut album was really good - kind of an 80's new wave sound. They played at the Bayou a couple times. I saw them once there and fans came dressed in surgical scrubs and masks. They cut a second album and then kind of fizzled out.
I saw that band in college and yes, I feel old.

If this is the band Gracelander was thinking of, it is quite the cautionary tale.

http://www.4outof5drs.com/

I wouldn't think that it was 4 out of 5 doctors because as you said they were a new wave band and not at all a hair band. I say them in 1980 or so at the Cap Center when they opened for the Cars. Very good band.

Archived