Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the more physically gifted QB Rex Grossman or John Beck?

darrelgreenie

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Since others are doing it, I’ll offer my scouting expertise on John Beck. I won’t speculate on the intangibles except to say that what I’ve heard about his intelligence and attitude is all good. With enough time in the scheme, he should not be limited by the intangibles.

John Beck reminds me of Jay Cutler, Tony Romo sits to pee and Brett Favre in the sense that he changes arm angles on the fly. I take this as one sign of an exceptional athlete at the QB position. The various arm angles and release points are produced by athletes who can deliver a quick release on the move. When being chased, they don’t have to stop to get their feet in an ideal position before throwing.

If we were talking Baseball pitchers, Beck would be called a “short-armer:” There’s lots of bicep and wrist involved in his throwing mechanics. The main advantages: quick release, great accuracy, great zip on most throws. The main disadvantages: A lower release point and the need to change arm angles to produce the touch throws. Judging from his college videos, Beck does this, but there’s not enough video to judge how well he does it.

Since we have an O-line that is still suspect in pass protection, Beck’s mobility allows more stretch-rollouts. Against the Colts, I got the feeling that Kyle could have called the stretch or the stretch-roll on every play and the Colts would have been helpless to defend it. I am confident that John Beck will start the opener against the Giants for this reason alone. He's more of a weapon than Rex in the Shanahan scheme's signature play.

A grade A ball control game can beat anybody. John Beck and his short-to- medium range accuracy, along with an improving run game, has the potential to give us that in this scheme.

I had a similar view:

John Beck reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy.

McCoy is a better runner/playmaker and uses an over the top throwing motion more often, but I think the similarities from a height/weight and playing style stand point are there.

But have quick feet and are nimble, both can throwing from different arm angles.

Both have stronger arms then they're given credit for (Beck might actually have the stronger arm of the 2).

Both are good timing and anticipation passers.

Quick thoughts on Beck from the Jets game:

o quick, light feet; has very smooth footwork in his drop backs and can set-up and get to a throwing position quickly

o can move a little bit

o has a quick throwing motion and a compact delivery but he has 3/4/side armish throwing motion (which make his release shorter which makes him throw shorter then his height)

Throws I like:

@ 1:36 only a 5-6 yard hitch Roydell Williams vs Cromartie; accurate throw into a tight window but what I liked most was the velocity, the ball got there in a hurry. It shoes he can throw hard when he needs too.

@ 2:18 another velocity throw-from the about the 25 yard line to the goaline on a rope;

this throw is all about arm strength

And yes I'm completely and totally bored without football and feeling nervous for the 1st time about wether a 16 games season will happen.

My main concerns are:

o throwing height

o inconsistent mechanics/variety of throwing platforms

o velocity to make the stick throws

He's only 6'2 and, unlike Drew Brees, Beck has a low release point

One reason why Brees is successful despite being 6' is he has a classic over the shoulder throwing motion with a high release point that makes him throw taller then his height Beck is the opposite.

Low release point, makes him shorter.

Will it be an issue? Who knows?

He's kinda like Romo sits to pee and McCoy that he can throw/release the ball from different angles and from different platforms.

But, it makes his mechanics seem inconsistent, will the ball always go where he wants?

Velocity, I see hints of it but I want to see more.

---------- Post added August-24th-2011 at 08:19 PM ----------

Trying to duplicate Brees’ success is why Beck started working out with the former NFL MVP and Super Bowl champion in the offseason three years ago, prompted by former Miami coach Cam Cameron. Aaron Rodgers also works out with them.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/04/beck-works-brees-dreams-big#ixzz1VzkOpX6C

Beck'sthrowing angle was a previous concern for me and maybe I'm imagining it.

But I noticed from the video above that it appears to my eye that Beck is throwing less sidearmy this year.

I always loved Brees' demonstration of one of his crazy mental exercises, where he mentally "remembers" where things are along a very long hallway, staring at everything for 10-15 seconds. Then he walks down the hall carefully, with his eyes closed, measuring his steps carefully in his head, and touches each object exactly as he comes to them along the wall, like "fire extinguisher" 10 feet away, "doorway" 15 feet away, "doorway" 25 feet down the hallway.

Helps him remember where receivers are supposed to be on the field without actually seeing them. Don't remember where I read/saw that, but I thought it was very cool and impressive. Beck working with him can only be a good thing.

I always loved Brees' demonstration of one of his crazy mental exercises, where he mentally "remembers" where things are along a very long hallway, staring at everything for 10-15 seconds. Then he walks down the hall carefully, with his eyes closed, measuring his steps carefully in his head, and touches each object exactly as he comes to them along the wall, like "fire extinguisher" 10 feet away, "doorway" 15 feet away, "doorway" 25 feet down the hallway.

Helps him remember where receivers are supposed to be on the field without actually seeing them. Don't remember where I read/saw that, but I thought it was very cool and impressive. Beck working with him can only be a good thing.

Crazy right?

I used to have that link to that article saved.

Brees also said that he used to practice certain routes with Joe Horn.....get this.....no exxageration with his eyes closed.

Crazy right?

I used to have that link to that article saved.

Brees also said that he used to practice certain routes with Joe Horn.....get this.....no exxageration with his eyes closed.

That's nuts. If Beck can learn to mentally prepare and excel like that, it will cover any deficiencies he may prove to have as a passer.

That's nuts.

I know right? Sick.

"The first time it happened, I couldn't believe it,"

"Guys see Drew throwing passes to me every day after practice. But what

'It's taught me that even if you can't see, that doesn't mean you don't still have vision.'

they don't know is that he throws all those passes, he does that whole drill, with his eyes closed."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/07/sports/07iht-chargers.html?pagewanted=1

Jesus. He's like a Shaolin Monk or something! :ols:

---------- Post added August-24th-2011 at 11:01 PM ----------

The other thing about that article: It reminds you how quickly things can change for a QB, especially one who everyone perceives a certain way, and who everyone thinks they know everything about.

Pffft...John Beck easy. Beck once pissed in a semi trucks gas tank as a joke....that truck is now known as Optimus Prime.

Seriously though i'd say Beck as of now but want to see more against the ratbirds though.

I think the idea of the thread is that you don't have to see more to answer this question. Its not "who is the better QB", or "who is the better QB for the Skins".

Its simply "who is the more physically gifted QB?" Just to generate discussion about their physical skill-sets.

I think the idea of the thread is that you don't have to see more to answer this question. Its not "who is the better QB", or "who is the better QB for the Skins".

Its simply "who is the more physically gifted QB?" Just to generate discussion about their physical skill-sets.

BTW-

Who do you think is more talented?

Archived