Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

rivals.yahoo.com: After mom's death, star throws no-hitter, hits 4 home runs in same day

Toe Jam

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/After-mom-8217-s-death-star-throws-no-hitter-?urn=highschool-wp1900

Of all the contorted, twisted, emotional trauma a high school athlete can go through, it's hard to imagine any being more trying than what Jaydin Goldenstein experienced last month.

After a year of estrangement from his mother, a drug addict who spent significant time in jail and a halfway house, Goldenstein sat by her bedside as she died.

According to an excellent piece by the Denver Post's Benjamin Hochman, two days later, still in the midst of his own conflicted feelings of grief, Goldenstein authored what may be the single greatest baseball day in the country in 2011. In a doubleheader for his Holyoke (Colo.) High team, he started the day with a no-hitter, ensuring a massive 11-0 win. In the second game, he hit four home runs, pacing Holyoke to a 15-8 victory. Really.

"When she was first getting involved with drugs, it was scary because she was acting different," Goldenstein told the Post. "Then the cops got involved and I was like, 'whoa.' You shouldn't have cops at your house when you're 8 years old.

"I forgave her several times. But she kept messing up. She used to try to call me, and I wouldn't talk to her."

Yet all that emotional confusion melted away in six hours on the baseball diamond, where Goldenstein is a rural town king. The star of the school's football, basketball and baseball teams had never had a finer athletic day. He probably never will again.

click link for more

Archived