Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Power Rankings: Top 10 NFL cornerbacks (D. Hall #9)

JPCreativelab

I'm surprised, that for a position that is usually filled with young bodies, Charles Woodson (35 yrs old, 14 yrs experience) and Champ Bailey (33 yrs old, 13 yrs experience) are on that list. Goes to show how dominate those 2 guys are, most DB's have an arc like playing career, a few years to get their feet under them, then +/-5 years of good production, followed by a few years of diminished production which then might be followed by a move to safety, but both Woodson and Bailey are still playing the corner after all these years.

While both are not quite there yet, the only real guy you can compare Woodson & Bailey to is D Green, not only in terms of number of years played, but also as one of the top ranked players at their position.

EDIT: oh and I agree that Finny should not be on that list. If it was a list of dirty players who get away with crap, then Finny is #1 all day every day, but in terms of actual football skill, he should be no where near this list.

It's been said multiple times and people still have ignored it, D.Hall is not a cover corner. He will give up the yards. But do not test him too much because he will make you pay eventually. And that is why he is on that list. That and his tackling his improved tenfold in my opinion.

Can't wait until the season starts. Hall, Oj, Landry, and maybe Los. :yes:

i like the way you think!

HOW MANY TIMES... listen, DBS is the hardest defensive position, hell a debatable hardest position in the league... theres just about 4 or 5 LOCKDOWN/SHUTDOWN CORNERS IN THE GAME...

u have Nhamdi-the best hands down, ppl dont test him cuz hes A TRUE LOCK DOWN corner, Revis-he is the new champ bailey, he defends the pass so well by breaking up passes or dislodging from wrs, hell intercept tho this yr was a down year.. but hes a lockdown for years to come, Champ-year in year out,nuff said.. Asante - when hes healthy, hes a lockdown and a playmaker, Woodson-definition of playmaker/good coverage, and the 5th lb, due to his run support... now all DBS FROM 5 AND ABOVE.. there all pretty equal, why,b ecause the hardest position and each year a db is defined on that season, thats why dbs on the pro bowl are never the same unless its one of the top tier... FOR EXAMPLE

look mike jenkins was suppose to be the next best db in dallas...than after his pro bowl season, hes the laughing stock(and were all grateful of that), they rated the best dbs mostly on the production of this season, as they also said there past production and potential play in the future were factors.. now like i said all DBS after the elite class of respectively 1-8, are all on the same playing field... and to tell me that D.HALL isn't one of the better DBs after the top tier is ridiculous...remember its based on his past and this season.. and this season he earned his recognition as one of the top 10 dbs..

NOW WHAT WE KNOW.. D.HALL IS NOT A COVER CORNER... his coverage is avg, What he is, A GAMBLER, A PLAYMAKING DB...just like woodson, but woodson has better coverage and is a 5th linebacker due to his support in the run.. D.HALL has stepped up in his run support..90plus tackles...over 180 in 2 season and like a 3rd, 12 ints... has a knack for being around the ball.. AS REDSKIN FANS WE ALL KNOW WHAT D.HALL BRINGS TO THE TABLE, and we support him, hes our playmaking db, while carlos was our cover... dont tell me we're not grateful, and we didn't want him, if ne thing we should all praise his production this season and give him recognition as being one of the top 10 dbs for this season. and for his doubters he proved his ability in the pro bowl...idc, those ints weren't easy, that forced fumble , the tackles, the td...

if ur a db not in the top tier of 1-8, than ur all on same playing field, and d.hall played better than his competition, most of em, thus he was recognized for it... and its not like he hasn't proved his ability, its not like he hasn't been to the pro bowl or fniished amonn the top 15 dbs.. he has, idk i just dont understand why some skins fans cna't just recognize his style of play, and the fact taht db is hard and most of them are all similar unless ur nhamdi or etc...

IM PROUD OF D.HALL, AND HE PLAYED THIS SEASON AS A TOP 10 DB, hell, if it wasn't for him we wuldn't have won 3 games..and lets not blame him for that deep ball he gave up in the giants game... WE ALL LOVE LARON, but hes at plenty of mmoments, yet hes among the best in the nfl...HAIL

heh, there's a thin line between Redskins fans being honest about a player's talent, and just plain hating on the guy.

I think the 'bad numbers' for Deangelo are a result of bad defensive scheming, ESPECIALLY if you're talking about last year. On the other hand, if you're going to just be a ball hawk type of guy, you make it hard for coaches to scheme you. You have to be able to just plain cover. With all that said, DHall is absolutely worth having, and considering how much of a ball hawk he is, I think he deserves a top 10 spot for sure.

Just watch his 1 handed catch/90 yard pick6 against CHI last year. That doesn't just happen to random CBs every now and then, it happens to top 10 CBs

I'll say it right now (and get booed out of the forum)... for the same price, and based purely on tape, I'd rather keep Rogers than Hall. And Rogers drives me bananas.

The question is... when does Hall's luck as a gambler, a route-jumper, finally run out? When does he finish a season with only one or two picks, and still finish near the bottom in yards allowed? Because when that happens--and it could happen any season, because he's playing the lottery on every pass--he won't have a "Jay Cutler Game" to fall back on, and he'll be a lightning rod for criticism. Over the remainder of his career, his coverage skills will be much more stable and reproducible than his turnovers.

I realize that tape isn't the only important thing to a fan. Hall is likable and was an extremely exciting player last year, while Rogers has brutal hands and an attitude that makes him hard to root for. But Rogers is a more physical tackler and more reliable in closing off his side of the hashes. I believe he's more apt to make his defensive teammates better.

Did Hall have a "Top 10" cornerback season last year? Possibly, given big plays. But is he a Top 10 league-wide corner overall? No way. Rogers might be closer. Those big plays can quickly dry up, and if/when they do, Hall will be a liability.

There's a difference between being not a cover CB and being a liability. When you give up the second most yards in the league, you are the latter, unless you have double digit picks.

Besides the cutler game and the dallas game, when did he make a team 'pay' last year?....

Haha, we won 6 games. He won 2 of em. He won 1/3 of our games by himself. That's plenty of pay for me.

Archived