Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iowa Agriculture Making Filming Animal Abuse Illegal

Koolblue13

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/14/big-ag-animal-abuse-filming-video-illegal_n_835504.html?ref=fb&src=sp

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Angered by repeated releases of secretly filmed videos claiming to show the mistreatment of farm animals, Iowa's agriculture industry is pushing legislation that would make it illegal for animal rights activists to produce and distribute such images.

Agriculture committees in the Iowa House and Senate have approved a bill that would prohibit such recordings and punish people who take agriculture jobs only to gain access to animals to record their treatment. Proposed penalties include fines of up to $7,500 and up to five years in prison. Votes by the full House and Senate have not yet been set.

More at link.

---------- Post added March-16th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

I'm surprised nobody has an opinion on this. 5 years in prison for filming cruel farming practices. I know most people don't care what they eat or where it comes from, but this seems pretty backwards to me.

If this passes Senate, it will be shot down by the supreme court.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20091103/NEWS02/91102013/Slaughterhouse-was-cited-threetimes

A Grand Isle slaughterhouse shut down last week after workers were caught on video abusing days-old calves was cited three times earlier this year for mistreating animals, a Humane Society of the United States official said Monday.

Michael Markarian, the society’s chief operating officer, said the three citations by federal inspectors at Bushway Packing Inc. occurred May 12, June 24 and July 1 and led to three one-day suspensions of operations at the plant.

“There were problems that existed at this plant which led us to take a closer look and conduct an undercover investigation there,” Markarian said during a telephone conference call with reporters.

A video from the group’s investigation, including grisly footage of workers kicking, dragging and repeatedly stunning veal calves with electric prods, was released Friday and prompted state and federal authorities to quickly close the plant.

Monday, the society released additional footage that countered a claim by Frank Perretta, a co-owner of the Bushway facility, who told The Burlington Free Press on Friday that he was “absolutely not” aware of any cruel treatment of calves at the plant.

The humane society contended Monday that Perretta was present during some of the alleged abuse and that Perretta’s voice can be heard on the video as some of the conduct is occurring.

In one instance, a voice identified as Perretta’s joked to a worker as a calf collapsed after being stunned that it “looks like you on Friday night.”

Attempts to reach Perretta for comment Monday were unsuccessful. A woman answering a telephone at the slaughterhouse said the place was closed and hung up moments later.

Diane Bothfeld, deputy secretary of the state Agriculture, Food & Markets Agency, said Monday the society showed her agency the video last Tuesday and that Friday morning the state pulled Bushway’s commercial license to operate. She said the state acted as soon as it was able to verify the authenticity of the video.

Bothfeld said the state would have preferred that the society had contacted her agency sooner.

This is a valuable tool to fight animal abuse. The Tea Party should be ashamed.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-9921888.html

A West Virginia prosecutor ordered an investigation of a slaughterhouse that provides poultry to KFC, after an animal rights activist produced a video showing workers stomping on live chickens and hurling them into walls.

Excerpts from the murky black-and-white video - released online by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - appear to show workers slamming and kicking birds in the dimly lighted "hanging cage," where chickens are snapped into shackles and hung upside down by their legs to prepare them for slaughter.

"If what they're alleging is true, I do believe it's a violation of West Virginia law,"

Click link for more.....

This thread is in no way intended for me to talk about being a vegetarian, so please don't jump on my back for that either.

Animal rights are an important topic and where are food comes from is important for several reasons.

I eat meat, I even go fishing and hunting. This is a topic EVERYBODY can get behind. [except big business!]

Archived