Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SG: Is It Too Early To Talk About A Laron Landry Contract Extension? (EDIT: Now that OJ signed, what is Larons value?)

SMOSS89

Wow, you're a sharp one.

I knew he had praised Landry......but he was also saying he was a big fan of Carlos then too.

And where's Carlos big contract? He's such a priority that they told him they're looking for another CB.........dude's packing his bags and getting ready to leave town.

what Shanahan says and what he does are two very different things....

Besides, he thinks so much of Landry, right? Then why did the Eagles say he was offered to them for McNabb?

Give me a break dude.

You are such a tool....you believe what everyone says.

Wow, you're a sharp one.

I knew he had praised Landry......but he was also saying he was a big fan of Carlos then too.

And where's Carlos big contract? He's such a priority that they told him they're looking for another CB.........dude's packing his bags and getting ready to leave town.

Besides, he thinks so much of Landry, right? Then why did the Eagles say he was offered to them for McNabb?

Give me a break dude.

That was shown wrong last I heard. It was Haynesworth they offered and the Landry thing was BS as Shanny came out and said he wouldn't trade Landry because he was afraid to see him twice a year.

And again, Shanny rarely directly praises anyone yet he flat out said he didn't want to have to play against Landry twice a year. I don't get what it is with your distaste for Landry but when he's on he is much better then Atogwe.

Wow, you're a sharp one.

Give me a break dude.

the facts suggest otherwise. your basing your opinion off of what you want to hear. while i'm basing my opinion off of what the coaches know, opposing players know, and most fans know. landry is a beast. i'd be absolutely shocked if he isnt in a redskins uniform after next season

the facts suggest otherwise. your basing your opinion off of what you want to hear. while i'm basing my opinion off of what the coaches know, opposing players know, and most fans know. landry is a beast. i'd be absolutely shocked if he isnt in a redskins uniform after next season

+1

People just seem to like controversy. Maybe us Skins fans are so used to it we have to create it ourselves (smfh). Landry will be here for a long long time....regardless of what the haters and pessimists want to believe.

Cooley on the other hand.....probably will get trade this year lol. Shanahan already said we are deep at that position and I heard him rave about Logan Paulsen in an interview (I like Logan as well). Logan and Fred are a much younger and athletic tandem as opposed to Cooley. We will probably get a draft pick for him.

last week Shanahan said you need "a safety"

He didn't say you needed two.

Atogwe's signing speaks volumes about what this regime truly thinks about Landry....

Wow, you're a sharp one.

Wait, let me get this straight: it's wrong to believe Shanahan when he says he likes Landry, but it's ok to infer that he doesn't like Landry when he says you need a safety? Talk about "do as I say, not as I do"

Try to wrap your mind around this: Shanahan, when he said "a safety," might be referring to a true FS who can play centerfield, which isn't Landry. Did it ever cross your mind that he and Haslett think of Landry as a 5th linebacker with as much of a force as he is in the box, and want to keep him there? I know it sounds crazy, but Landry was having an all-pro year and is all-pro caliber when he's playing the way he played last year, which is in the box, not necessarily in space.

His references to "a safety" speak more to what he thinks about Kareem Moore than Landry. You might want to drop the agenda.

Heres a J.I.Halsell article from RI about 4 months ago. Landry may well carry a sizeable cap number in 2011, so an extension may not be out of the question, assuming the CBA situation gets sorted out.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/laron-landry/roster-analysis-laron-landry-g.html

Prior to Landry's injury, there was thought that perhaps the Redskins could leverage the uncapped year and come to an agreement on a lucrative contract extension, but the injury would seem to give the front office pause in committing a substantial amount of money to a player whose short-term health is uncertain.

While Landry may not land a financial windfall in 2010 through a contract extension, his play over the first nine games of the season were enough to provide him with a pay raise in 2011 under his current contract. Landry's rookie contract contains 2011 salary escalators that were based on his ability to reach certain total tackle thresholds over the first four years of his career.

The deal was structured to provide him with the following 2011 salary increases:

75+ total tackles in 2 of the first 3 seasons: $250,000

65+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $1,500,000

75+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $1,500,000

95+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $500,000

Landry's total tackles from 2007 - 2010 have been 88, 65, 90, and 85, respectively. Entering 2010, Landry had already escalated his 2011 base salary of $1.97 million by $1.75 million by achieving the first two thresholds listed above. His performance over the first nine games of this season gave him his third 75+ tackle season and qualified him for the third threshold listed above which increased his salary by another $1.5 million.

As it stands currently and barring a contract extension, Landry is scheduled to earn a non-guaranteed salary of $5.22 million in 2011.

Landry currently leads NFC strong safeties in Pro Bowl voting If elected to the Pro Bowl this season, Landry can further increase his 2011 non-guaranteed salary by $350,000 to $5.57 million and make his 2011 cap number $8.15 million.

While an $8.15 million cap number (assuming there is a cap in 2011) -- $5.57 million of which comes in the form of non-guaranteed salary -- is not overly burdensome, it could nonetheless provide the impetus for a new deal for Landry and 2011 cap relief for the Redskins

I can only hope for the best in that he plays lights out and we bring him back. Landry was raw last year similar to his rookie season. I think once he mellows out a bit and plays with his head he will be even more solid than last season. Hopefully someone can get in his head a little and pick his brain. It would be foolish of us to trade him. With his age he is soon to be in his prime at his position

Archived