Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SG: Is It Too Early To Talk About A Laron Landry Contract Extension? (EDIT: Now that OJ signed, what is Larons value?)

SMOSS89

The past week or so has been much to do about the Redskins free agents, potential free agent signings, and who they might want to take with the 10th pick in the 2011 draft.

But could one of their biggest investments this offseason be an extension for strong safety Laron Landry?

I know that the Redskins have much more important issues right now than whether or not to extend a current member of the roster. They have to gear up for the scouting combine, evaluate their own free agents, potentially re-sign some players, and finally, figure out who they like in the upcoming free agent class.

Laron's walking into his final year on his contract, and the Redskins will have a choice to let the season to play out to see if he can stay healthy and improve on last year's success. That's certainly a good way to go if you're the Redskins, but given their current cap situation (once there is a cap again), they have plenty of room right now to extend the guy, and potentially at a better price.

There are two scenario's that could play out if the Redskins choose to play out the season without extending Landry:

The first scenario is that he plays lights out, even more than he did in 2010, while showing he can stay healthy for a full season. That in turn would skyrocket his value and force the Redskins to either pay him big or be forced to let him walk (highly unlikely).

Click HERE to read rest of post.

EDIT: Now that OJ Atogwe is signed, what does this do for Landry's value?

Good topic

I gotta see how this offseason plays out first before thinking about reupping Landry. Landry is a core Redskins and must stay. When the contract gets written depends on free agency. If there isn't one then all that cap rooms still gonna be there and we likely don't have a season. If there is a free agency then depends on what happens. If we don't spend that much money then I want a deal in place before the season starts regardless of anything. Landry is way too important to this defense to lose. But if we spend a lot of money in free agency there better be a plan to free up enough to get it done during the season. We need the flexibility to lay the contract down in the season and not let him test free agency. Like you said why pay top dollar when you don't have to? How he plays this season is important but make no mistake his presence is too. If some freak accident happens in training camp or regular season and he doesn't play much he's still got to remain a Redskins. He is a core player on this team and in our teams future. But playing into the year could end up saving us a few million on the cap every season he signs for and that could be money spent to improve other aspects of the team in hopes of building a championship team and Defense for him to play with. Worst case we use a tag on him next season. We are good

I would definitely wait, at least until the middle of next season. We need to make sure this wasn't a one-year wonder, and we also have to see if he returns well from his achilles injury.

Absolutely... but the problem is this-- there is no way LaRon(dontlikeugly) is NOT gonna come out GANGBUSTERS in his contract year. Somebody (not Shanahan or Haslett) got into Landry's head this past offseason and told him to get his **** together. He did it, but what motivated him?

My problem is, I look at his personality traits and I see someone who is motivated by things outside of football. His look, his monkeys, his muscles, his persona... it's ultimately about him. Dude has all of the physical traits of a HOF safety, but I will always question where his head is at.

As people grow older and realize the "important" things in life, they either embrace it or ignore it. You look at somebody like DHall who has been humbled by the criticisms of his poor performance/lack of work ethic in the past- and you see that he has responded positively and made some serious changes.

I hope LaRon is turning that corner mentally, because dude has all of the tools you could ask for. I've been rooting for him since day one (obviously) and despite some bogus behavior/on-field play in the past, I would love to see him become a Redskin all-time great. We'll see.

It's just a good question I wanted to pose.

I didn't have an answer in mind myself. Just figured to play devil's advocate and bring up the fact that financially the Redskins are in a good spot,and Laron's value is likely lower right now vs. if he plays really well in his contract year. But hey, he may not play well in his contract year, so who knows.

I just like some good discussion :)

Absolutely... but the problem is this-- there is no way LaRon(dontlikeugly) is NOT gonna come out GANGBUSTERS in his contract year. Somebody (not Shanahan or Haslett) got into Landry's head this past offseason and told him to get his **** together. He did it, but what motivated him?

My problem is, I look at his personality traits and I see someone who is motivated by things outside of football. His look, his monkeys, his muscles, his persona... it's ultimately about him. Dude has all of the physical traits of a HOF safety, but I will always question where his head is at.

As people grow older and realize the "important" things in life, they either embrace it or ignore it. You look at somebody like DHall who has been humbled by the criticisms of his poor performance/lack of work ethic in the past- and you see that he has responded positively and made some serious changes.

I hope LaRon is turning that corner mentally, because dude has all of the tools you could ask for. I've been rooting for him since day one (obviously) and despite some bogus behavior/on-field play in the past, I would love to see him become a Redskin all-time great. We'll see.

these are pretty much my exact thoughts on landry.

Those pointing out that he hasnt really performed until this year are forgetting that he was put out of position the past few seasons. When he was at SS with Taylor, Landry was playing very well. Then we lose Taylor and Landry is moved to FS and struggled. Finally Haslett comes in and moves him back to his natural position and Landry once again has success. As long as Landry plays SS, he will make plays. But I think we all know, he is not good in coverage.

As far as getting him an extension, it wont happen until the CBA happens first. But you gotta think he is high on the Skins priority list.

We should bring in his brother Dawan Landry as one of our big FA class signings this year. Having him back there at FS with his brother at SS would be NASTY! I bet it would make it easier to re-sign LaRon as well. :2cents:

I thought we already tried the Laron at FS experiment and determined he is exponentially better in a SS role. Dawan is a poor man's Laron so while the brother storyline would be fun I don't see it being a wise move.

I wouldn't mind seeing our FO take a Philly type approach and attempt to lock Laron up long term before he actually blows up. They've been very successful in extending young players at the right time that gets them some money early in their career while setting the team up with a cap friendly contract. It might be a little more difficult with Laron as he was a #6 pick and already pocketed quite a bit of coin to keep him comfortable.

Do we have any other key free agents coming up in 2012? It seems like worst case scenario Laron would be a good franchise tag candidate if we're unable to lock him up after another strong year.

I'd hold off too... He was great for half a year, but poor to terrible for two years before that. See how he recovers and see if he can keep it up. Remember, even with him in the line up this was the 30th ranked D in the league.

It's not his fault he was played out of position for the two years under Zorn. He did pretty darn well when he played SS prior to ST21's passing. He also did pretty good when he filled in at FS also in 2007.

I thought we already tried the Laron at FS experiment and determined he is exponentially better in a SS role. Dawan is a poor man's Laron so while the brother storyline would be fun I don't see it being a wise move.

I wouldn't mind seeing our FO take a Philly type approach and attempt to lock Laron up long term before he actually blows up. They've been very successful in extending young players at the right time that gets them some money early in their career while setting the team up with a cap friendly contract. It might be a little more difficult with Laron as he was a #6 pick and already pocketed quite a bit of coin to keep him comfortable.

Do we have any other key free agents coming up in 2012? It seems like worst case scenario Laron would be a good franchise tag candidate if we're unable to lock him up after another strong year.

I'm not advocating playing LaRon at FS, I'm saying keep him at SS where he excels, play his brother Dawan (a UFA this year) at FS. I know Dawan has primarily been an overlooked SS while playing next to Ed Reed, but its frickin Ed Reed, one of the greatest FS ever! Anyone playing across from Reed in his prime is going to get lost in his shadow.

I believe Dawan has the athletic ability and football IQ to be able to handle either safety position. Even if Dawan is an average starter at at best at FS, he's still proven/better then anyone else we have as options to put back there (Moore / Horton / Doughty / Macho).

We have too many other dire needs to even consider drafting a true FS to pair up with LaRon (DL / OL / LB / QB / CB / WR, maybe even RB, I'd address all those before looking at a FS). Dawan at 28 years old, part of one of the leagues best defenses year after year, brother to one of our only stars, would suffice as a short-term solution to our hole at safety for a couple years IMO.

But that's just my armchair GM pipe dreams, I think LaRon has shown when played to his strengths, that he can be an impact pro-bowl caliber player, you lock that kind of talent up early and build around it.

I'm not advocating playing LaRon at FS, I'm saying keep him at SS where he excels, play his brother Dawan (a UFA this year) at FS. I know Dawan has primarily been an overlooked SS while playing next to Ed Reed, but its frickin Ed Reed, one of the greatest FS ever! Anyone playing across from Reed in his prime is going to get lost in his shadow.

Okay it's seems I misunderstood you but I don't particularly like either Landry at FS. If we're going the FA route I'd much rather go after a true proven FS. We need a guy with cover ability there so Laron can keep doing what he does best around the line of scrimmage. I just don't think Dawan is that guy.

Lock him up, hes a monster at SS, true beast prescense when he is on the field,

Crazy to thnk we were a top 10 D when he struggled ALOT, and this year dude plays

lighs out and yet we were botom feeders on D. NFL is too unpredictable

Think about it, we had three in the Pro Bowl, and Landry was ahead of voting by about four parsecs, so we had four. The three who played were lights out, one being MVP.

That's over a THIRD of the BEST defensive players in the conference being from the Redskins. It's demonstrative of a piss-poor defensive line and free safety; our defense is not that far away.

His previous seasons were so-so because he was being asked to play out of position :)

Let's be honest. Landry and Orakpo are about all we have right now to look forward to in the future on defense.

The entire front seven needs to be rebuilt.

Fletcher is 36 years old and won't be here long-term.

The free agents like McIntosh and Rogers really haven't earned long-term deals and have had serious injury problems their first 3-5 years in the NFL.

Let's be honest. Landry and Orakpo are about all we have right now to look forward to in the future on defense.

I agree with everything you said, but I'd add D Hall to that short list.

He's only 27 and will probably be our best CB for the remainder of his contract / time here. I know people like to hate on him, but the dude is a turnover machine and really seemed to improve his tackling (dreaded Panthers flash back) as the year went on.

I think his heart is really with the Redskins being from the area and think he's going to win more people over as a core player on this team as time goes by.

We have a lot of building to do though, a lot.

Archived