Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another DirectTV question (need help)...

MikeB

Guys,

I am going to order DTV today or tomorrow. I have a statement I would like verified and a question for the group. Hope someone can help me out quickly...

My understanding is that I can order DTV and cancel after 4 months. I would be subject to a 150$ (and pay for the Ticket, obviously) fine, but would be able to renew the ticket each year. (My buddy did this last year, and I was hoping that another could verify)

My question is should I go through DirectTV and order a one room setup today paying only a 15$ handling charge --or -- should I take Best Buy up on their offer (starts tomorrow) for a free 2 room setup (only need one room though) and a 50 gift card? It's obvious the Best Buy offer is better, but remember I plan on cancelling the service after the 4 months and don't want to incur an additional charges other then the 150$. Does anyone know if you pay more to cancel a 2 room setup?

Thanks,

Mike

Also, when they do the free install, they route new cable correct? I plan on keeping cable (can't give up the fat internet pipe...) for the forseeable future. Also, do they install phone line jacks if they are not nearby?

Thanks,

Mike

I would suspect that the cancelation fee is the same but you should check it out. Just ask to see what the contract you sign would be. One thing i do highly recomend is getting the Tivo package. The DVR is great for sports. Instant replay on demand and there are a few really cool features that they've incorporated into Sunday Ticket for it. Among other things the Tivo will just gab highlights from other games and you can replay them.

Out of curiosity why are you planning on cancelling and keeping cable? Assuming you're in an area where you get local channels through DTV you'll probably get more channels with better quality for less money with Direct TV. I've had it for a few years and it is MUCH better than cable or digital cable. No comparrison really.

Originally posted by SmootSkins21

They do keep the cable, as i have a cable modem and directv. But i would suggest u dont cancel the Dtv. Remember ur going to be getting the all year 24 hr NFL Network. Besides DTV is great, and u wont want to go back.

I feel the same way Smootskin, I could never go back to cable after DTV and my Ultimate TV receiver.....Stick with DTV.

Another possibility to consider.....Directv has a satellite ISP service called DirectWay...the dish is slightly different but I'm told it works great and is very fast. Last time I checked, it was a bit pricey, but if you were to scrap your cable entirely, it might be cheaper going with a DirectWay dish combining your TV and internet service. Maybe someone here has some experience with it?

Heres their weblink if you want to check it out:

http://directv.direcway.com/

I would love DTV. I clearly see all the great advantages... picture quality, service, price, channels.... but I can't live without my cable modem. If I drop cable, they charge me an extra 17$ for the internet service (what a total f'n monopoly!) so it's not worth it price wise.

I would suggest you go with Direct TV, lose the cable then get DSL instead if it's available in your neck of the woods. DSL is usually a bit cheaper than cable internet access and would have been my first choice if it were available in our area. I have hated cable companies for a number of years now due to poor service, outages etc. and have vowed NEVER to give them any more of my hard earned $$$.

If you decide not to go that route, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to get the dish without any service at all then just buy Sunday Ticket alone.

Finally, the box does have to be pretty much continually hooked up to a phone line so that big brother can watch your viewing habits, and for billing etc.;) I've found the best solution to this issue is this They can usually be had for $20-$25 on ebay all the time. Also, you can simply add another one anywhere you have an electrical outlet.

Originally posted by MikeB

I would love DTV. I clearly see all the great advantages... picture quality, service, price, channels.... but I can't live without my cable modem. If I drop cable, they charge me an extra 17$ for the internet service (what a total f'n monopoly!) so it's not worth it price wise.

If I understand the fees involved with setting up then cancelling:

$150 disconnect fee?

$239 Sunday ticket price?

$? installation cost (would probably charge you that if you cancel early)

$389/12=$32.42/mo (if spread out the whole year)

Depending on how much cable is versus DTV (monthly subscription cost) I would cancel the cable, pay the $17 extra per month and keep your cable line. I see the $87.99/mo price tag DTV is throwin in there on the 5th month. Might be cheaper to just buy a system, have it installed, and pay the $31.99/mo +local channels and pay for the ticket and anything else you want.

Peace

SmootSkins21 - can you tell me what DTV channel that NFL network resides????? Is it in the 700 near the NFL Sunday Ticket????

Anybody??? I can't find it. Sick of wading through golf and baseball and all three thousand college football reviews... ( I only watch for Notre Dame and Penn State) of course basketball starts up soon...

Originally posted by SkinsLover

SmootSkins21 - can you tell me what DTV channel that NFL network resides????? Is it in the 700 near the NFL Sunday Ticket????

Anybody??? I can't find it. Sick of wading through golf and baseball and all three thousand college football reviews... ( I only watch for Notre Dame and Penn State) of course basketball starts up soon...

I think it starts in October or November... Not on just yet.

Peace

if your not using a mac, don't fall for that directway bs. it has compatability problems with certain windows programs. do yourself a favor keep your cable modem and isp. you also loose signal during storms with d-way. i've never had it but know people who swithed from all cable to d-tv and d-way, 6 of the seven that switched kept d-tv but switched back to cable internet almost immediatly. the 1 that didn't switch has a mac. as far as the nfl ticket.....:D :cool: you'll be hooked as soon as you get your first sunday.

Archived