Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Bradley Aston Villa target

ukvillaskin

My team Villa have been strongly linked with Michael Bradley of Borussia Monchengladbach and of course, he USA national team.

From what I've seen of him, which isn't that much, I like the look of him. He looks a very hard worker and seems to have a good engine and can get up and down the pitch no trouble.

Can anybody tell me much more about him? How do people rate him?

Cheers.

From what I've seen of him, which isn't that much, I like the look of him. He looks a very hard worker and seems to have a good engine and can get up and down the pitch no trouble.

I don't know much about him either, but I think that's an accurate summary. That's all you get.

Passing is nothing special, and not a Keano or Vinny Jones 'presence' either. :ols:

Bradley is an attacking center mid who does not have a great ability to control the pitch. Pretty much all hustle and not much skill on the ball. A lot of people are still on the fence on him, but he is what he is. Every once in a while he will score when u need someone to. But if you want a controlling center mid, get someone else. If you want someone to play his ass off, then maybe he's ur guy. Kind of depends on your team philosophy and formation. I'm not that familiar with aston villa though.

I really like Michael Bradley. Classic box-to-box center defensive mid, again great engine, good positioning, decent passing. He struggles sometimes having to hold onto the ball, but he makes up for it with above average finishing for his position... see South Africa, US-Slovenia 82nd minute.

Bradley is an attacking center mid who does not have a great ability to control the pitch. Pretty much all hustle and not much skill on the ball. A lot of people are still on the fence on him' date=' but he is what he is. Every once in a while he will score when u need someone to. But if you want a controlling center mid, get someone else. If you want someone to play his ass off, then maybe he's ur guy. Kind of depends on your team philosophy and formation. I'm not that familiar with aston villa though.[/quote']

Thanks.

We could do with both the types of player you mention there lol, a controlling midfielder and a worker. We have a player called Reo-Coker who is very busy fit, good engine, but isn't the best technically. He's on his way out by the looks of it and Bradley could possibly take his place by the sounds of it, although he sounds more box to box than Reo-Coker.

The Villa team philosophy and formation has change a fair bit under new-ish manager Houllier. He's gone from 4-4-2 and a counter attacking team with more pace than skill, to 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1, with emphasis on keeping the ball rather than quick attacking, direct play. Villa play with Darren Bent as CF and Ashley Young in 'the hole' behind Bent. The team could do with a CM who can get forward and support these 2 and put a good shift in defensively at the same time. Sounds like Bradley could do that and from what I've seen of him I like him. He's seems pretty efficient without being spectacular and looks like he positions himself well.

---------- Post added January-30th-2011 at 07:00 PM ----------

I really like Michael Bradley. Classic box-to-box center defensive mid, again great engine, good positioning, decent passing. He struggles sometimes having to hold onto the ball, but he makes up for it with above average finishing for his position... see South Africa, US-Slovenia 82nd minute.

Could be the sort of player we're after. I remember him doing quite well at the World Cup, I thought then he'd be a good signing for Villa. We were also linked with Bob Bradley when O'Neill quit the managers job, he was odds on favourite at one stage I think. Now that I definitely wouldn't have liked :)

UTV

SOTC

Nah, bob Bradley is garbage. Don't confuse the national teams ability in the cup to correlate with Bradleys coaching. He's terrible. They won in spite of him. His strategy is ok, until the other team adjusts. Then its game over. He also plays favorites. You should be happy you don't have him.

Nah' date=' bob Bradley is garbage. Don't confuse the national teams ability in the cup to correlate with Bradleys coaching. He's terrible. They won in spite of him. His strategy is ok, until the other team adjusts. Then its game over. He also plays favorites. You should be happy you don't have him.[/quote']

I am happy we didn't get him, that's what I said in my post :)

He sounds a little bit like Martin O'Neill who didn't have much of a plan B when things weren't working. he also played his favourites and was determined not to make subs, whatever the score.

some relevant info in this article:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/columnist/carlisle_jeff/id/6071581/michael-bradley-career-get-boost-aston-villa

Good signing from on angles IMO. Aston Villa's got a few US internationals on the roster now, I need to start paying them more attention. I watched their 1-0 win over Man City last weekend.

Cheers for the link. From what I understand, the loan deal for Bradley should go through tomorrow :)

We've now got Friedel, Guzan (out on loan), Lichaj and probably Bradley. Might be another American in the reserves as well, not sure. We also had Omar Cummings on trial for a couple of weeks, but I think their was a problem with his work permit, so that fell through. Friedel's still doing ok, slowing up a bit, but still a good PL keeper. Guzan, not so good, he may not be quite good enough for the first team, but maybe a run of games on loan will be good for him. Lichaj played well for a couple of games, then reportedly fell out with the manager after having a terrible game against West brom and hasn't played since lol, looks a promising FB though.

Considering our nightmare start to the season, mainly because O'Neill dropped us in and quit days before the season, and having half the squad out injured, we played pretty well against Man City, rode our luck but dug deep to win it. Houlliers bringing in his own players now and we're beginning to look like a good side again.

UTV

SOTC

Archived