Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"The Conspirator" - Civil War/Lincoln Buffs Take Note

Dan T.

Check out the trailer for an upcoming movie directed by Robert Redford - The Conspirator - about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the case of Mary Surratt in particular - one of four hanged as part of the conspiracy. Robin Wright (The Princess Bride ,Forrest Gump) plays Mary Surratt.

The trailer looks amazing.

iSvG_gk2mZU

The movie is set for release in April.

I guess I'm talking to myself here... but this movie looks really good, and sort of takes the place - in my mind anyway - of the movie adaptation of James Swanson's "Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer, which was supposed to star Harrison Ford as Boston Corbett. That project has been in the works for something like 6 years now.

So long as Reiner doesn't take any egregious liberties I really do think this has the potential to be a great movie.

It looks like the movie will argue that Mary Surratt was unjustly accused, tried, convicted, and executed. But that's not an outrageous claim - many think that's the case. As I recall, even James Swanson hedged his bets on that issue.

It looks like the movie will argue that Mary Surratt was unjustly accused, tried, convicted, and executed. But that's not an outrageous claim - many think that's the case. As I recall, even James Swanson hedged his bets on that issue.

Yeah I saw that and I think it's fine because it seems from the trailer that both sides of that argument are well-depicted and portrayed. Trailer is just a snippet though, and this is a subject where people on either side can skew things. It's a tough subject to tackle, but it looks impressive from the trailer, so long as the reviews are good and Reiner did a good job, I will go pay money to see it (something I rarely do these days because most movies aren't worth the cost IMO).

Archived