Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

The 2011 Redskins might be in the market to acquire a QB in the upcoming draft and there are several good prospects.

The aim of this series of threads is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of the QBs by look past the stats and the often parroted rhetoric available through media and draft sites.

The goal is to look in depth and discuss the top prospects in action.

The springboard for the discussion will be the commonly available game cut-ups (not highlights) on youtube and may extend to torrents (if there's interest).

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed whenever possible.

beer.jpg

Jake Locker: Washington at USC 10/2/2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXw6qJlFqXQ

by MartinC

Jake Locker

The break down is based on the USC game linked below. I’m going to start by doing a break down of each passing play on the tape just as I watch it and then end with some observations on mechanics, decision making, athletic ability and a final overall impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXw6qJlFqXQ

Play by play

1. 1st and 10 own 21. Shotgun 3 wide with 2 backs. Takes snap rolls out to right and then turn a throws back across his body on bubble screen to the left. Complete for good gain – receiver makes first guy miss and then breaks off good yards after catch. Threw without resetting showed good arm strength.

2. 1st and 10 from own 46. Shotgun 4 wide single back. Takes snap and throws quick slant to slot receiver to his right. Gets the ball out of his hands very quickly, nice base and weight transfer and compact throwing motion. Again showed good arm. One read throw.

3. 2nd 10 from USC 30. Shotgun (notice a trend here?) 4 wide single back. Throws quick bubble screen. Again gets the ball out of his hands immediately with a nice compact throwing motion. Again a one read throw.

4. 1st and 10 from USC 13. Under centre 3 wide, 1 TE, 1RB. Play action. Looked a little unnatural coming out of the play action, seemed like he was slightly off balance. Immediately threw to his running back for a decent 7 yard pick up. Never looked up field. Again a one read and get the ball out of your hand play.

5. 2 and 3 from USC 7. Shotgun 2 wide, 2TE, 1RB. Takes snap and then takes 3 step drop. First time he has taken any drop after taking the snap out of shot gun. Has some pressure from his right in his face but gets a good base out of his drop however the pressure stops him really stepping into the throw. Tries to hit his back running on a circle route sown the right side line into the end zone but leads him too far and its incomplete.

6. 3rd and 3 from USC 7. Shotgun 5 wide. Shows good patience waiting in the pocket and steps into his throw very well. Shows good arm strength trying stick throw to receiver running towards the post. Incomplete. Receiver looked well covered and Locker never seemed to come off his first guy even though he had some time.

7. 1st 10 from own 20. Shotgun 2 wide, 2 TE, 1RB. Play action, rolls to his left and shows good movement and a quick release as he gets quick pressure. Hits his man on a sideline for 1st down.

8. 2nd and 6 from own 33. Takes 3 step drop out of the gun. Keeps his head to the centre of the field and then throws on time to his left, steps into throw well but the ball sails on him a bit and he misses high.

9. 3rd and 6 from own 33. Shotgun 3 wide, 1 TE, 1RB. All receivers are to his right, two outside receivers run vertical and the inside receiver runs an out. Locker shows nice patience and good accuracy to hit him in stride with good ball placement for the 1st down. Looked like an NFL QB on that play.

10. 1st an 10 USC 41. Ace formation (2WR, 2TE, 1RB). Playaction, immediate pressure shows really good speed to escape to his right and looks very natural running. Short gain.

11. 2nd and 8 from USC 39. Shotgun 3 WR, 1TE, 1RB. Takes one step after taking snap, nice base, looks immediately to his left and throws out, coverage his tight but completes. Agin that looked like a pre snap read, decides where to throw and then never comes off his first read.

12. 3rd and 1 from USC 32. Shotgun 3 wide. Fakes to receiver running reverse then takes 3 steps, sets and firs a bullet into the end zone looking to hit a skinny post. Very nice easy throwing motion but ball is overthrown and incomplete. Showed good arm though.

13. 4th and 1 from USC 32. This is a run but worth a write up. It’s a called QB roll out and Locker shows his athletic ability and speed to quickly turn the corner and pick up the first down and more. This is only the second called QB run I have seen.

14. 1st and 10 from the USC 16. Shotgun 3 wide, 2 RBs. Quick throw to running back crossing from his left – nice but easy throw and again based on a single read and getting the ball out of his hand quickly.

15. 1st and 10 USC 46. Under centre 4 WR, 1 RB. Playaction. Looked very fluid coming out of the play action to his left - set his feet and nice weight transfer. Throws nice deep ball with good touch for a TD. Clearly has NFL arm.

16. 1st and 10 from own 31. Under centre, 3 WR and 1 TE , 1 RB. Playaction again, also rolls to his left throws on the run showing very nice mechanics and accuracy while on the move. NFL throw and a nice completion. Liked the way he turned up hill towards the line of scrimmage as he threw and how he got his shoulders square to the target when throwing.

Note. Throws 15 and 16 looked right out of our play book and Locker looked like a natural fit for that type of roll out from play action.

17. 1st and 10 from own 45. Shotgun 4 wide. Again not a pass and the 3rd called run I have seen. I list it because this shows the guy can really run – he breaks the linebacker contain easily and then runs away from the secondary. Locker is running back quick – not sure what his timed speed is but he looks like a 4.5 guy at worst to me.

18. 1st and 10 from own 20 . Shotgun 2 wide. Gets pressure, cant step up and is hot while throwing causing underthrow – poor throw but caused by pressure.

19. 3rd and 6 from own 25. Shotgun 4 wide. Sits in pocket, first read is not there, rolls out to his right and again throws very nice ball on the run for nice gain to a receiver crossing from the left. Very good thrower on the move – possibly throws better while running than standing in the pocket!

20. 1st and 10 from own 45. Shotgun 3 wide. Throws with nice base and weight transfer – steps into throw to his left and gets the ball on target in a hurry to his receiver.

I’m going to stop doing play by play now as I have seen enough of Locker with what they are doing in this game plan i.e. giving him one read play calls designed to get the ball out of his hands quickly. Going to look to see if I can see some NFL stick throws and any more complex reads.

See the play at 4.40. Again it’s a play action where Locker rolls to his left. He smokes a throw while still moving to a receiver running a crossing route at about 14 yards. That’s an NFL arm and throw and again could have been right out of our play book. Just one thing he lead his receiver right into a huge hit from the DB, he needs to learn to throw that so the receiver has to slow down a little to make the catch not get him killed.

See the throw at 5.20. Its incomplete but he executes a 5 step drop, sets, great weight transfer and shows off a really nice compact motion with a good arm. Just leads his guy a little and misses but again an NFL arm and throw.

At 6.30. 3rd and 10 after a reverse gets stuffed for a big loss. Gets pressured, escapes the sack and shows his athletic ability again. I’m picking up this one because I like the way he keeps his eyes up field rather than just taking off and he smokes a throw for a huge 3rd down pick up. Again he throws really well on the run.

8.58. 2nd and 10 from own 22. This is the first time Locker holds the ball and he gets sacked and loses the football. He gets bailed out his own lineman picks it up and rumbles for a bit of a pickup.

Mechanics

I was a lot more impressed than I expected to be with his mechanics. He has a very good set up, gets a good base and transfers his weight well. His motion is fluid, he holds the ball high and gets a good shoulder rotation and a lot of revs on the ball. He also has a quick release – not as quick as Gabbert perhaps but plenty quick enough.

If anything he throws better on the run than from the pocket. It’s clearly a strength of his and an area where he is clearly better than Gabbert IMO. On a number of occasions I could easily see him wearing burgundy and gold as the play action roll outs where right out of our play book and he looked great running that type of play.

His footwork was good and he did play under centre quite a bit more than I expected to see. I did not see him run and hitch step throws so that something I would look for in a work out.

Arm Strength

The guy has a very good NFL arm. I don’t know if he is stronger than Gabbert or Newton or visa versa but he can throw all the passes he will need to in an NFL offense. Again he really shows off his arm when he throws on the move. If I was working him out I would want to see him throws some digs and deep outs from a 5 and 7 step drop as there were not many NFL type stick throws especially on this tape.

Decision Making

From this tape its hard to really comment on his ability to read coverage as he simply was not asked to do that by the game plan. He was given one read plays to get the ball out of his hand and take the pass rush out of the game. At best he was making half field reads. He also tended to throw either quick short throws and look for yards after the catch or designed deep shots – I’d like to see more of the intermediate deep outs, digs and crosses he will need to be able to hit to be a good NFL QB. That’s more of knock on his offensive line than him I think though in this game.

That said he did not really force anything and stayed away from the dumb throw.

Athletic Ability

Off the charts. One of the most natural runners I have seen at the QB position. Perhaps not Mike Vick quick but as quick as a lot of NFL running backs. Also while he is a good runner he does keep his eyes downfield and look to throw rather than just tuck it and take off unless it’s a called run.

Overall

I had not seen much of Locker apart from the Bowl Game and I had been unimpressed by that bowl game. I was much more impressed watching this cut up and feel much more at ease with him as a possible pick.

He is a great natural athlete, with good throwing mechanics, is great throwing on the run and has an NFL arm. He is also a passer who can throw rather than a runner who can pass – once he gets out of the pocket he his using his legs to extend the play to use his arm to beat you rather than turning into a running back.

My question marks are around his consistency throwing out of the pocket and his occasional inaccuracy issues. Also his ability to read more complex coverages but that’s a concern for all the top end QBs in this draft IMO.

I still rate Gabbert as a better pro QB prospect overall but Locker would be a very nice fit in the offense Shanny likes to run and I could see him being a guy we would take if he is there at 10 which I think he will be. We might even be able to trade back a few spots and still get him but that would be a risk I doubt we take if Shanny decides he is his guy.

Washington vs USC

Jake Locker: Washington at USC 10/2/2010

Part I

Passing chart:

1) Shotgun: Half roll® throwback RB screen (L) draws pressure from DL makes Jump pass -on time on target throw

2) Shotgun: Quick Slant Slot ® rhythm throw on time+ on target+ in stride+; Quick set-up from a good base gets ball out quick

3) Shotgun: Slot Screen (L) on time on target throw from solid base (:44s)

4) Under center: PA Roll ® hits RB in the flat on time+ on target+ in stride+ on the run

5) Shotgun: Reads progression from (L) to ® finds RB on wheel route w/ pressure in his face makes an on time+ on target+ instride- ball thrown into the endzone-incomplete pass either thrown to far in front or misjudged by the RB* a better decision on the throw may have been to throw the RB short of the endzone and force them to throttle down to make the catch easier (:56s)

6) Shotgun: Skinny Post/Slant Slot (L) reads progression on (L) throws into a tight window on time+ on target+ in stride-pass slightly too far in front of WR; Quick Release

7) Shotgun PA Rollout (L): w/ pressure in his face makes throws on the run to WR bracketed by on the sideline by a DB closing in creating a tight window; pass on time+ on target+ in stride+ (nice toss@ 1:04)

8) Shotgun:WR Hitch (L) rhythm throw from a clean pocket to a well covered WR on time- throw a little behind/late in the timing on target- ball was a bit too high at helmet height (WR got both hands on it but couldn't bring it in) drop

9) Shotgun: Slot Out ® from clean pocket in rhythm; on time+ on target+ in stride+ DB good coverage in trial position

10)Under center: 7 step drop PA meets pressure as soon as he hits the top of his drop, avoids sack turns negative play into a 2 yard gain (1:49)

(on time=OT; on target=OT; in stride=IS)

11)Shotgun: Slot out (L) quick rhythm throw w/ pressure in the face OT+OT+IS+; nice anticipation throw ball was out before the WR finished his break (1:52)

12) Shotgun:PA Post ® incomplete OT+OT- lead a well covered WR towards the goal post out of bounds basically a throw away either the WR gets it or no one else does but it should be noted that he throws from the 40 ydr line to the back of the endzone w/ ease (2:04)

13) Shotgun: 4th and 1 called run for 10+ yard gain nice run

14) Shotgun: Screen/RB flat ® draws DL toward him makes jump pass OT+OT+IS+

15) Under center: PA roll (L) WR Post (L) OT+OT+IS+ TD from the -47 ydr line to 2 yards into the endzone 50+ yard throw w/ ease (2:28)

16) Under center: PA waggle (L) OT+OT+IS+ into a tight window (2:46)

17) Shotgun: Zone read keeper from the -45 to 10 nice run ball poked out from behind lost fumble-- Ball Security!

18) Shotgun: PA 3 step drop quick pressure in face, hit during throw intermediate route (3:08)

19) Shotgun: Pocket breaks down scrambles ® hits open WR OT+OT+IS (3:18)

20) Shotgun: Square in (L) quick rhythm throwOT+OT+IS

21) Shotgun: In pocket scan progressions pocket breaks down, escapes as jersey is grabbed scrambles w/ head up finds WR OT+OT+IS (3:38)

22) Shotgun: Pocket breaks down scrambles ®

23) Shotgun: pressure in face dumps to RB in flat

24) Shotgun: clean pocket sails ball high (throw away?) in the direction of a well covered/double covered WR (4:00)

25) Under center: Straight drop back, clean pocket, scans field, scrambles up the middle does a clever flip to the RB for the 1st down (4:29)

26) Under center: PA roll (L) OT+OT+IS to well covered receiver in tight window (4:40)

(459) POSTED IN GAME GRAPHIC: outside the pocket 9/10 148yds TD called runs 4-52 yds scrambles 2-24 yds

27) Shotgun: half-roll throwback screen draws pressure jump pass OT+OT+IS

28) Under center: Straight drop Skinny Post WR (L) OT+OT- lead WR a little too far IS- incomplete (5:16)

29) Shotgun: PA 3 step drop intermediate route sideline square out ® same pass as 18- OT+OT+IS dropped, flat out dropped (5:20)^^One of the toughest throws he makes w/ ease from a shrinking pocket

30) Screen

31) Under center:PA roll ® no pressure no one chasing him throws short of the open WR OT+OT-IS- (kinda a WTF pass? he been making this throw all game w/ pressure then w/o pressure he misses it?) (5:46)It looks like the WR may have ran past/out of the throwing window after a second look

32) Shotgun PA: roll ® hit WR on sideline hitch w/ defender closing in OT+OT+IS+

33) Shotgun: 3rd & 18 Straight drop back pocket breaks down, evades sacks as jersey gets grabbed scrambles w/ head up and throws a rope in between tight coverage for the 1st down (6:26)

34) Under center: PA Roll ® deep throw back (L) WR is in the middle of the field pass is towards (L) hash mix up? OT+OT- IS-

35) Pistol: pressure in face OT+OT+IS+ to RB in swing pass

36) Shotgun: Screen

37) Shotgun: quick pressure escapes pocket, RB quality cutback/juke against a DB for 15+ yard gain (7:09)

38) Under center: PA roll out ® throwback (L) to FB? OT+OT- it looked like the FB expected the ball more toward the sideline Locker threw it more up field IS+; result drop/mis-played (7:20)

39) Shotgun: quick pressure in the face OT+OT+IS to RB in the flat square out- dropped (8:24)

40) Under center:PA roll ® similar play as ^^except to WR OT+OT+- helmet height but caught IS+

41) Under center: (3rd & 8) Quick Slant WR (L)-3 step drop ball out OT+OT+IS dropped (8:40)

42) Shotgun: (4th & 8) Straight drop Slot slant/in well covered (its hard to see what happened) OT+OT+- it looked on target but broken up IS n/a

43) Shotgun: PA roll (L) throw away

44) Shotgun: Straight drop climbs pocket LT gets beat and his man strips the ball-fumble-recovered Wash-BALL SECURITY!!!

45) Shotgun: Slant ® OT+OT+IS+ into a tight coverage dropped

46) Shotgun: (4th & 10) Climbs pocket hits drill 18s yds? jump pass over the middle into tight coverage 1st down (9:12)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Passing Breakdown from the passing chart in post #2:

Missed pass incomplete: (5),6,(8),28,

Scramble/on the move incomplete: (12), (31), (34), (38)

Caught passes that were off target (keep in mind these are caught passes): lol recalibrating

Drops/(receiver misplay/effort): 8, 28, 29, 39, 41, 45,(5),(38)

Throw away: (12), (24), (34)

For this game:

Instincts+Intuition-3 (2 fumbles no, no)

Competitiveness-4 (faced pressure all but executed gameplan that relied on his mobility, came back late to win, not bothered by drops etc)

Arm Strength-5 (self evident)

Complete Inventory of passes-4

Quick delivery-4

Touch-3 (missed a few throws)

Read defense-3 (offense didn't require much reading of coverages but executed the offense and made his progressions made good decisions)

Mobility+Avoidance-4 (graded down b/c of the fumbles would've been a 5)

Function while injured- N/A

Not easily rattled-4

Spontaneous decision/play making-4

5) Shotgun: Reads progression from (L) to ® finds RB on wheel route w/ pressure in his face makes an on time+ on target+ instride- ball thrown into the endzone-incomplete pass either thrown to far in front or misjudged by the RB* a better decision on the throw may have been to throw the RB short of the endzone and force them to throttle down to make the catch easier (:56s)

6) Shotgun: Skinny Post/Slant Slot (L) reads progression on (L) throws into a tight window on time+ on target+ in stride-pass slightly too far in front of WR; Quick Release (:60s)

8) Shotgun:WR Hitch (L) rhythm throw from a clean pocket to a well covered WR on time- throw a little behind/late in the timing on target- ball was a bit too high at helmet height (WR got both hands on it but couldn't bring it in) drop

24) Shotgun: clean pocket sails ball high (throw away?) in the direction of a well covered/double covered WR (4:00)

28) Under center: Straight drop Skinny Post WR (L) OT+OT- lead WR a little too far IS- incomplete (5:16)

31) Under center:PA roll ® no pressure no one chasing him throws short of the open WR OT+OT-IS- (kinda a WTF pass? he been making this throw all game w/ pressure then w/o pressure he misses it?) (5:46)It looks like the WR may have ran past/out of the throwing window after a second look

38) Under center: PA roll out ® throwback (L) to FB? OT+OT- it looked like the FB expected the ball more toward the sideline Locker threw it more up field IS+; result drop/mis-played (7:20)

i think that him and gabbert are on par with each other talent wise either one i can deal with.. the thing is i think locker will me farther down in the draft therefor allowing us to trade back and pick up another pick.. which is why i pick locker.

i think that him and gabbert are on par with each other talent wise either one i can deal with.. the thing is i think locker will me farther down in the draft therefor allowing us to trade back and pick up another pick.. which is why i pick locker.

Based on draft position right after us, Vikings at 12 I think, I don't think we should count on him being there if we trade back to 15-20 range. If Locker is available at 10 and Gabbert is not, take him there and don't risk the trade down. If both are available, take whichever the coaches like better.

Thanks for doing this. I am interested with Locker, but I don't really get him- is a top overall pick or is out of the first round?

Depends on who you talk to actually, I think highly of him and its between him and Gabbert as the guys we'll target at QB. He was rated as the #1 overall pick last year by some before returning to school and this year has had a sub par year and has led many to think he's not that good of a QB when in reality for the offense we run he's a very good fit because on the run he's a very good passer and the man is a gifted athlete

Depends on who you talk to actually, I think highly of him and its between him and Gabbert as the guys we'll target at QB. He was rated as the #1 overall pick last year by some before returning to school and this year has had a sub par year and has led many to think he's not that good of a QB when in reality for the offense we run he's a very good fit because on the run he's a very good passer and the man is a gifted athlete

I know, right. I don't know enough of him to make a judgement. The evaluation of him reminds me of Claussen, where some think he is a top 5 pick and some think he is third round material.

Actually no they aren't. Cutler is a pretty mobile QB who has the big arm, Mallett is a slow footed QB who has a terribly long release unlike Cutler does

I could care less about Mobility. Mobile QBs have been screwing their teams since Young. The long release thing is an issue, but that has to be coachable, right.

I know, right. I don't know enough of him to make a judgement. The evaluation of him reminds me of Claussen, where some think he is a top 5 pick and some think he is third round material.

Eh see I see him differently than Clausen because Clausen felt like the world owed him something for being a QB while Locker is a student of the game and a hard worker and if anything he'll be someone who works very hard and will do everything to be a great QB. Now will he turn out to be one? who knows but the guy has the tools to do it

---------- Post added January-16th-2011 at 01:47 PM ----------

I could care less about Mobility. Mobile QBs have been screwing their teams since Young. The long release thing is an issue, but that has to be coachable, right.

Technically you could throw that statement back to teams doing it since Vick and even Cunningham. Cunningham was a very good QB but he never won the big game.

With Mallett I'm not saying he's gotta be a Newton/Vick type but the guy can't seem to avoid pressure and that's a huge factor for me and when he's forced to reset his feet and have to make a throw its poor and inaccurate

There are varying degrees of mobility, extreme, moderate and tree trunks. Mallet is a tree trunk.

Maybe Locker has a future in the circus sideshow. Right next to the bearded lady, the QB who throws while running.

Next to that booth, the man who picked Jake Locker in the first round of the NFL draft, while being paid to be an NFL GM. *

*opinion based solely on a formula that has a 20% failure rate, ignore the fact that I preach it like the gospel.

Thanks for doing this. I am interested with Locker, but I don't really get him- is a top overall pick or is out of the first round?

The hope for this thread would be to discuss the plays from the game that help us evaluate the prospects.

If you take a look at the posted vid i think you'll see that there a plenty of NFL throws he made.

Isn't the knock on Locker that he has accuracy issues??

Yes, he's never had a completion % over 60% in his college career. The interesting part of that stat is that when you dig into it his WRs have a crazy amount of drops. Someone else previously posted that if his WRs had the same amount of drops this year as Luck's did (12 vs 44 I believe), his completion % would be like 62%, a fairly respectable rate.

edit: not to mention the fact that his OL basically gives him time to make one read and either throw it away or scramble. He suffers from a severe lack of talent around him. So basically he'll fit right in here :ols:

Isn't the knock on Locker that he has accuracy issues??

Yes but also he's got WR's who've dropped I believe it was 44 passes this year and someone posted that if it was down to 20 or so his accuracy would be around 59% or so which is better than what it is now. I think once you put a better team around him he'll be a good player almost how it's been with Cutler. That's pretty much the comparison I've been using with Locker is Cutler but Locker is a better athlete no question

Technically you could throw that statement back to teams doing it since Vick and even Cunningham. Cunningham was a very good QB but he never won the big game.

With Mallett I'm not saying he's gotta be a Newton/Vick type but the guy can't seem to avoid pressure and that's a huge factor for me and when he's forced to reset his feet and have to make a throw its poor and inaccurate

I meant Steve Young. He was the only Mobile QB that ever won anything. But since him, teams have been wasting DPs on these mobile guys when flat footed pocket passers like the Mannings and Brady have been winning SBs.

Yes but also he's got WR's who've dropped I believe it was 44 passes this year and someone posted that if it was down to 20 or so his accuracy would be around 59% or so which is better than what it is now. I think once you put a better team around him he'll be a good player almost how it's been with Cutler. That's pretty much the comparison I've been using with Locker is Cutler but Locker is a better athlete no question

I think Dukes, youre on to something. Locker is an enigma. How good is he. Sometimes he looked down right poor, but his OL and WRs are, well, like our OL and WR.

But I think he is worthy of a first round pick. I think we need to grab a franchise QB.

I think Dukes, youre on to something. Locker is an enigma. How good is he. Sometimes he looked down right poor, but his OL and WRs are, well, like our OL and WR.

Right. And behind our OL, with our WR, McNabb threw for a 58.3% completion rate. His career completion rate is 58.9%.

Moving from a perennial playoff team to a team with our OL and WR degraded his completion rate by only 1% (or 0.6 percentage points). Projecting massive increases in accuracy for Locker is pure fantasy.

Right. And behind our OL, with our WR, McNabb threw for a 58.3% completion rate. His career completion rate is 58.9%.

Moving from a perennial playoff team to a team with our OL and WR degraded his completion rate by only 1% (or 0.6 percentage points). Projecting massive increases in accuracy for Locker is pure fantasy.

C'mon dude don't troll this thread into a platform for your 'formula'.

The aim of this thread is to discuss the actual play of QB in the actual game.

No projections here.

Archived