Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

C'mon dude don't troll this thread into a platform for your 'formula'.

The aim of this thread is to discuss the actual play of QB in the actual game.

No projections here.

I didn't mention the model. My first post referred to your video clips, which show Locker throwing on the run for what seemed like a majority of his throws. My second post was a response to a series of posts (#17, #18, #21, #22) implying that Locker would have Luck's stats if not for the drops and OL.

Just because I have a projection model that annoys you, does not disqualify my responding in another thread to what I see. So far what I see in this thread are some clips of a circus sideshow QB whose special (only?) talent is throwing on the run, followed by some posts suggesting that his stats would be like Luck if he had better WR and OL.

Nonetheless, it's your thread, so I defer on that basis. Enjoy preaching to the choir and tuning out comments / members that do not conform to your point of view. :)

Ok now who here sees this when I see locker...

He can't read the other teams d. Can't do his progressions 2nd option, 3rd, 4th. N tends to run more and head 1st.

I don't think he realizes that in the nfl ezample schanez, u do that ur gonna get injured and burried.

I really can't make anything out of him because he's so incunsistant its out right scary. After all these years dealing with campbell and not being able to read the opponents d. I've about had it.

A qb must be able to do that. To me that's huge. I'm not not kyle or mike s. So ill let them judge n pull the trigger.

But for all the mallets and cam followers just stop and think about this... If mcnabb didn't or desnt fit our system do you guys honestly think mallet and cam will???

And if u do please state why??? Use and compare y?

Right. And behind our OL, with our WR, McNabb threw for a 58.3% completion rate. His career completion rate is 58.9%.

Moving from a perennial playoff team to a team with our OL and WR degraded his completion rate by only 1% (or 0.6 percentage points). Projecting massive increases in accuracy for Locker is pure fantasy.

Cutler was a sub 60% completions in college as well. I'm positive that his percentage will increase over time.Besides, the OL for Philly hasn't been that good for quite some time.

Right. And behind our OL, with our WR, McNabb threw for a 58.3% completion rate. His career completion rate is 58.9%.

Moving from a perennial playoff team to a team with our OL and WR degraded his completion rate by only 1% (or 0.6 percentage points). Projecting massive increases in accuracy for Locker is pure fantasy.

i dont know about that. seems to me that if his WR's sucked, and he has better ones, they wont drop the ball as much (i know cooley and moss both had problems this year). but, if we or someone else had better quality WR's, it has to positively affect his %. when you have an inordinate # of drops, it has to be taken into account. heck, it can even change the way a game is called- drops cause drives to stall, and cause OC's to have to call lower percentage plays to make up for stuff like that. i've witnessed that right here in washington just this year.

hopefully, we;ll improve on the line and at WR.

I won't like.. there isn't a single QB in this draft that I would pick at the 10 spot. We need so much more than a QB, would love to trade back, but, that never happens. I'm completely clueless as to what Shanny will do here.

I am intrigued by what you guys can come up with to make your case for your QB of choice tho.

I didn't mention the model. My first post referred to your video clips, which show Locker throwing on the run for what seemed like a majority of his throws. My second post was a response to a series of posts (#17, #18, #21, #22) implying that Locker would have Luck's stats if not for the drops and OL.

Its an entire game short-cut of Washington vs USC and Locker throws on the run by design b/c Washington's OL isn't very good.

Its a game where Locker had 60% despite 5 dro

Other posters may have mentioned drops b/c its kinda relevant when evaluating a QB.

Just because I have a projection model that annoys you, does not disqualify my responding in another thread to what I see. So far what I see in this thread are some clips of a circus sideshow QB whose special (only?) talent is throwing on the run, followed by some posts suggesting that his stats would be like Luck if he had better WR and OL.

Nonetheless, it's your thread, so I defer on that basis. Enjoy preaching to the choir and tuning out comments / members that do not conform to your point of view. :)

You're right and i didn't disqualify you or anyone in posting.

I just asked that discussion focus on the play on the field, hopefully in specifics.

I would be happy if you pointed out actual plays that show why you think Locker is actually inaccurate as opposed to statistically inaccurate.

And last time i checked the ability to throw on the run was a good thing.

It worked about pretty good for that circus sideshow Aaron Rodgers.

I'm warming up to the idea of Locker playing here. The more I find out about him and the more film I see on him, the more I think he'll be a good NFL QB. His W-L record in college is one thing that's bothered me about him the most. But looking at Washington's record since 2007, they've played some of the best schools in the country. Not to mention, Locker has had a terrible OL. Not sure about his WRs, but looking here, I see a lot of drops.

One thing that really jumps out at me about Locker is the praise he's received for being a top-notch leader and how almost every draft site touts his love of football. I think in order for someone to strive to be the best they have to love the game. Talent is wasted when you dislike what you're doing. If the coaches and scouts think he's talented enough to be our franchise QB, then I'm on board. Especially if he's the leader that he's been projected to be.

The only problem I see is that Locker's doesn't seem accurate in mid to long throws when his target isnt wide open. The thing I remembered about Bradford is how he would make these great throws into really tight coverage to the point you thought it was a fluke. But is wasnt a fluke. Locker from this game tape doesnt seem to have this skill well developed.

Perhaps it is a WR issue, but Locker seems to need to throw a ball that is a bit more catchable by WRs when there is tighter coverage.

The only problem I see is that Locker's doesn't seem accurate in mid to long throws when his target isnt wide open. The thing I remembered about Bradford is how he would make these great throws into really tight coverage to the point you thought it was a fluke. But is wasnt a fluke. Locker from this game tape doesnt seem to have this skill well developed.

Perhaps it is a WR issue, but Locker seems to need to throw a ball that is a bit more catchable by WRs when there is tighter coverage.

I noticed 2 things in that game and here's what I saw

1. Jermaine Kearse was terrible in that game dropped at least 3 passes and cost some big plays for the UW Offense

2. Locker is a great athlete for him to be able to outrun guys and and also be able to make some impressive throws on the run is nice to see. Does rush his throws sometimes when he doesn't need to but footwork is solid and has nice arm strength and mechanics

Over a QB? :(

I still think its too early to get a read on what they are looking at because Shanny is probably going to sit down with the scouting department and get a read on the QB's from them and then watch film himself. Even after that we probably won't know what's going to happen until draft day as we did last year with Williams over Okung and in the past with Shanny where no one thought he was interested in Cutler and then made a move for him

So putting the spreadsheet to one side for a moment, what specifically do you see in the video that makes you feel he will be a bust?

Ok i would like to see a video of Blaine Gabbert as well to see a comparison. Here are a few points i have noticed:

1. Locker has great speed and strength in his runs. Shanny's offense has taken advantage of Jake Plumber's speed on bootlegs. He did the same with Elway. He did the same with Cutler.

2. More importantly than strength and speed is accuracy on the run. I remember vividly how much more accurate jake plumber was on the run. From what i noticed, most of Locker's throws were on the run, yet only 1 was under thrown to the feet of the receiver. This is something that was a huge problem here for Mcnabb, which i believe led to the downfall of Mcnabb in DC.

3. His pocket throws had a very quick release.

4. All of his short throws were catchable and gave the receiver an opportunity to get some YAC.

5. He works very well with fast slot receivers (provided they catch the ball). If moss is back here next year (which i hope he is, because we have no other viable receivers), i think he will be perfect for that role.

However there are some things that i did not see:

1. Very little pocket movement. This is something you see with Rodgers, Brees, and Manning.

This has resulted in pulling the ball down and running with it, or looking for the jason campbell dumpoff.

2. Like a previous poster said, lacking accuracy on the the medium throws. They tended to be high.

3. Very few secondary reads.

Ok i would like to see a video of Blaine Gabbert as well to see a comparison. Here are a few points i have noticed:

1. Locker has great speed and strength in his runs. Shanny's offense has taken advantage of Jake Plumber's speed on bootlegs. He did the same with Elway. He did the same with Cutler.

2. More importantly than strength and speed is accuracy on the run. I remember vividly how much more accurate jake plumber was on the run. From what i noticed' date=' most of Locker's throws were on the run, yet [b']only 1[/b] was under thrown to the feet of the receiver. This is something that was a huge problem here for Mcnabb, which i believe led to the downfall of Mcnabb in DC.

3. His pocket throws had a very quick release.

4. All of his short throws were catchable and gave the receiver an opportunity to get some YAC.

5. He works very well with fast slot receivers (provided they catch the ball). If moss is back here next year (which i hope he is, because we have no other viable receivers), i think he will be perfect for that role.

However there are some things that i did not see:

1. Very little pocket movement. This is something you see with Rodgers, Brees, and Manning.

This has resulted in pulling the ball down and running with it, or looking for the jason campbell dumpoff.

2. Like a previous poster said, lacking accuracy on the the medium throws. They tended to be high.

3. Very few secondary reads.

Thanks for getting is back to the purpose of the thread.

The thing which makes it hard for me to get a really good feel for Locker is that he is playing on what without him would be a bad offensive team. In the game we broke down the gameplan was clearly based around getting the ball out of his hand fast so it was all one read throws, designed roll outs and some deep shots off play action.

There was very little work out of the pocket which asked him to work through a progression or throw any intermediate routes. I do think he needs to be worked on in terms of being more consistent within the pocket as when he does miss or have a bad throw its almost always from within the pocket. I agree with your comment about movement in the pocket but again I think that was by design in this game - get the ball out quickly or get out of the pocket. The one time he did hold the ball in the pocket he was sacked and stripped.

Thanks for getting is back to the purpose of the thread.

The thing which makes it hard for me to get a really good feel for Locker is that he is playing on what without him would be a bad offensive team. In the game we broke down the gameplan was clearly based around getting the ball out of his hand fast so it was all one read throws, designed roll outs and some deep shots off play action.

There was very little work out of the pocket which asked him to work through a progression or throw any intermediate routes. I do think he needs to be worked on in terms of being more consistent within the pocket as when he does miss or have a bad throw its almost always from within the pocket. I agree with your comment about movement in the pocket but again I think that was by design in this game - get the ball out quickly or get out of the pocket. The one time he did hold the ball in the pocket he was sacked and stripped.

Trust me I think the Senior Bowl is going to be one of the things I scrutinize the most with him because you're going to see them want him to do things in the pro style offense and hopefully he looks good and that leads us to seriously considering him and even taking him if Gabbert isn't there at #10

So putting the spreadsheet to one side for a moment, what specifically do you see in the video that makes you feel he will be a bust?

Every play looked like a gimmick play. In 20 plays I probably saw a greater variety of bizarre rollouts, throwbacks, throw off back foot while moving backward, all throwing while on the run, than I see in 10 NFL games. It was like a clinic on bad technique. Resulting in short throws requiring one read.

I kept waiting for a classic drop-back with tough deep throw or multiple reads, and never saw one. So, I stopped watching.

Archived