Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Capers Among Six Signed to Future Contracts.

MustangSteve

The Redskins have signed six players who finished last season on the team’s practice squad, including 2010 seventh-round draft pick Selvish Capers.

The team also signed offensive tackle Xavier Fulton, wide receivers Taurus Johnson and Maurice Price, running back Shawnbrey McNeal and defensive lineman Rashaad Duncan.

Capers, a 6-5, 315-pound offensive tackle, spent all of last season on the Redskins’ practice squad. He alternated between left and right tackle during training camp and preseason.

Fulton, 6-5 and 301 pounds, signed with the Redskins’ practice squad on Dec. 21. He was originally drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fifth round (155th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft, but he spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve.

Johnson, 6-1 and 205 pounds, signed with the Redskins’ practice squad on Nov. 8. He originally signed with the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2009. He has also had NFL stints with the Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins and Cleveland Browns.

Price, 6-1 and 197 pounds, signed with Redskins’ practice squad on Dec. 1. He joined the NFL as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Chiefs in 2007. He spent time on the New England Patriots’ active roster in 2008 and he has also had stints with the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Ravens.

McNeal, 5-9 and 190 pounds, also signed with Redskins’ practice squad on Dec. 1. He entered the NFL with the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2010. He was part of the Atlanta Falcons’ practice squad before joining the Redskins.

Duncan, 6-2 and 315 pounds, signed with the Redskins’ practice squad on Dec. 22. He entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Buccaneers in 2009 and also had practice squad stints with the Carolina Panthers and Buffalo Bills.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Capers_Among_Six_Signed_to_Futures_Contracts_188209.jsp

I'll bow to the coaches judgement as they picked him, but Capers looked every bit a 7th round flyer through pre-season last year. He was shocking against other scrubs.

Hail.

He was extremely raw coming out of college and probably needed to add more bulk to his frame. Look for him to be much improved next preseason

I really like McNeal. Could be a great 3rd down back for us.

I was under the impression San Diego was high on McNeal as well and he was just a victim of the numbers game. I'd be surprised to see a guy get past SD and ATL to become a factor for us but I will still be keeping my eye on this guy. With all of the backs we've brought in this season we should be able to put together at least an average backfield in 2011. Just further proof you don't need to spend high picks on runners given their short life span and late round succeses.

As far as Capers I'm still excited about him as well. He was an obvious project with intriguing athleticism. Hopefully he will continue to progress on the bench and can take over the #3 OT spot in 2012 while possibly becoming a starter later in his career.

Does this mean Cook is no longer under contract or did he finish the season on our active roster?

Archived