Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Out-of-town sports fans

CoolUsernameHere

So I'm a Redskins fan that is not from Washington, D.C, Maryland, or Virginia. I grew up just south of Birmingham, Alabama. What does that mean? The closest professional sports teams to root for were about three hours away, in Atlanta and Nashville. But I don't really root for teams in those cities. Now that I live in Auburn, though, and I'm only about an hour and a half away from Atlanta I've begun sort of following the Hawks. But other than that, I've never really had much interest in teams in Atlanta or Nashville.

Throughout my life I've started rooting for pro teams all around the country, and stuck with them. And I don't have any consistency. The three pro teams I really cheer hard for are in three different cities.

I've seen the NHL team I root for play three times since I've been a fan-- twice at their home arena (on spring break trips with my friend who got me into the team) and once in Atlanta.

I've seen my favorite Major League Baseball team play twice, in their home field (family trip) and in Atlanta.

I've been a Redskins fan somewhere between three and four years now. I didn't have an NFL team that I rooted for, but I wanted to watch games with utmost interest. I grew up going to Auburn football games every weekend, and when I became a fan the Skins had J Campbell, Marcus Washington, and Carlos Rogers. So I found myself wanting to see the Redskins win. I began watching them whenever they were on TV and started listening to their radio broadcasts, and gradually became a pretty big fan. I bought a little Burgundy and Gold gear, did some research on some of the team's history, and this season I've only missed two games (both due to family gatherings). I find a place to watch every week.

The thing is, I've only been to DC once. Heck, I wouldn't even call it "going to" DC. I drove through it on the way home from another trip.

But now I think I'm to the point of no return. I have a lot of emotion invested in the Skins. I feel proud and joyful when we win, and bummed when we lose. I really really hate Dallas, and hate the Giants and Iggles.

Does it bother any DC area natives that an out-of-towner is a fan? Like other people are intruding on your town's culture or something? Does it seem weird at all?

Or are you more open-armed? Is it ideal that everyone in the world become Redskins fans?

Are any other Skins fans here on ES NOT from the DC area? How did you become a Redskins fan?

Also feel free to answer these questions in relation to other out-of-area sports teams you might cheer for.

(Mods, feel free to move this to the Stadium if you feel it belongs there. )

Eh, it doesn't really bother me. The more the merrier, right? If you just recently became a fan, then I can't accuse you of bandwagoning.

I've always seen the Redskins as a "D.C." thing; but then again, we even have fans from England on the board.

No problems here, my friend. Hail to the Redskins. :D

Born and raised in California and a diehard Skins fan...although I'm not totally crazy like most of the ding dongs in the stadium :ols:

My parents were raised in D.C. My dad's family had season tickets to RFK and In high school and college, they went to Skins games for dates. When they moved out to California and had a family, my dad was determined to raise his kids with a love for the Skins. He was successful with my older brother and I, my little sister, well, she really couldn't care less, but she'll go to games with us and we dress her up and tell her when to cheer. :D

I highly doubt I'll ever live on the east coast (even though I went to college in Maryland and most of our relatives are still in MD) full time. I love the west. However, I plan on raising my children as Redskins fans. If they rebel against me, obviously I'll do what every good parent does and I'll kick them out on the street.

Archived