Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hail! magazine is now giving away a Chris Cooley game-worn jersey

themurf

Great magazine.

In response to your request for suggestions for future articles, I would like to get a feel for how sophisticated an NFL team (the Redskins in particular) is in terms of managing it's roster, in how a team identifies and addresses it's weaknesses and tendencies, etc. Here are some examples:

o Do teams rate positions by relative importance and then look at the competence of their incumbents for each position relative to the cost of that incumbent

o Do Offensive Coordinators and Defensive Coordinators help each other by identifying how they would attack or defend against their counterpart

o Are player or play calling tendencies addressed on an ad hoc or informal basis or are they "scientifically" measured (this question applies to both their team and their opponent)

I'm kind of an analytical type person and it would seem to me that there would be lots of opportunity on a professional sports team to apply sophisticated techniques in order to improve a team and gain and edge over the competition. Is this, in fact, done? The article might be entitled something like "Road to the Super Bowl in 2010 - Analysis and Planning + Execution."

Great magazine.

In response to your request for suggestions for future articles, I would like to get a feel for how sophisticated an NFL team (the Redskins in particular) is in terms of managing it's roster, in how a team identifies and addresses it's weaknesses and tendencies, etc. Here are some examples:

o Do teams rate positions by relative importance and then look at the competence of their incumbents for each position relative to the cost of that incumbent

o Do Offensive Coordinators and Defensive Coordinators help each other by identifying how they would attack or defend against their counterpart

o Are player or play calling tendencies addressed on an ad hoc or informal basis or are they "scientifically" measured (this question applies to both their team and their opponent)

I'm kind of an analytical type person and it would seem to me that there would be lots of opportunity on a professional sports team to apply sophisticated techniques in order to improve a team and gain and edge over the competition. Is this, in fact, done? The article might be entitled something like "Road to the Super Bowl in 2010 - Analysis and Planning + Execution."

First of all, thanks to everyone for the kind words and high praise. You guys are awesome and every single issue we're seeing a steady growth in our number of subscribers. As to the above request, it might take some time to get folks to play along with some of your specific ideas, but it's all very interesting stuff - the kind of content I would definitely read if it were out there. So I'll add it to the list of things to keep in mind moving forward. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Archived