Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Texans Next Week

DeployedSkinsFan88

We need to score points. Houston is going to get theirs; we need to get ours. We need to shut down foster, key on johnson, and force other guys to make plays. We need more consistency from the running game and better offensive execution. Houston's D isn't as strong or aggressive as the cowboys, but they won't be pushovers either.

Welcome to ES! I think, for starters, we need to focus on our run defense this game. It HAS to improve, or else we're going to get eaten alive. As we all know by now, the Foster kid had like 200+ yards against the Colts, but I highly doubt he'll get that against us. We'll watch the film and work on playing the cutbacks that their running game used to beat the Colts. They did a great job of getting the OL to push the DL one direction (the LB's would follow in pursuit), and then Foster would take one step and cut back to the opposite side. We'll need to negate that somehow.

If we can stop the run (something we haven't done at all so far this year, preseason and against Dallas), then that's going to put us in good position as we cover Johnson and their receivers. What really interests me about the Texans is, they only threw the ball 17 times, completing 9. Did they not throw because their running game was so good, and didn't need to? Or did they switch up their attacking style since Kyle S? That's a very good question that we'll have to figure out.

As for our offense, I'm not as hard on it as some here seem to be. We DID move the football, and were a couple of plays/penalties (Cooley penalty and botched snap) away from putting up 20 points on the Cowboys solid defense. We'll be going up against a defense that is less talented than Dallas, but still solid. TW will have his hands full again as he faces Mario, so he'll need a repeat performance there. The biggest thing is... we have to protect McNasty, find the running game, and get some production from receivers not named Cooley or Moss.

If we do these things, we should win.

Hey ya'll,

This is my first thread, and im new to the site. Been a Skins fan since i was in the womb. For next week against Houston what do you guys think needs to improve the most to pull out a win? I really hope AH gets to sit on the sidelines to watch what he could be apart of.

As JayDogg said, we NEED to focus on run defense. Thankfully Jason Garrett stopped running the ball . . . because we damn sure couldn't stop it consistently. I'd imagine that Coach Haslett will focus on stopping the run after seeing what Arian Foster and that offensive line did to the Colts. However we cannot forget that BEAST they have at wide receiver by the name of Andre Johnson. Honestly, I think we'll have an easier time moving the ball and scoring against the Texans than the Cowboys. We just need to make the most of our opportunities, continue to protect McNabb, and contain their explosive offense. I'm expecting to see safety help shaded to Johnson at all times, some run blitzes, the coaches emphasizing discipline along the D-Line (because of their zone blocking scheme and heavy play-action game), and a lot of Rocky or London match-ups with Owen Daniels (typically it's your outside backers who get this assignment . . . but we have been blitzing heavily with our outside guys).

Welcome to ES! I think, for starters, we need to focus on our run defense this game. It HAS to improve, or else we're going to get eaten alive. As we all know by now, the Foster kid had like 200+ yards against the Colts, but I highly doubt he'll get that against us. We'll watch the film and work on playing the cutbacks that their running game used to beat the Colts. They did a great job of getting the OL to push the DL one direction (the LB's would follow in pursuit), and then Foster would take one step and cut back to the opposite side. We'll need to negate that somehow.

If we can stop the run (something we haven't done at all so far this year, preseason and against Dallas), then that's going to put us in good position as we cover Johnson and their receivers. What really interests me about the Texans is, they only threw the ball 17 times, completing 9. Did they not throw because their running game was so good, and didn't need to? Or did they switch up their attacking style since Kyle S? That's a very good question that we'll have to figure out.

As for our offense, I'm not as hard on it as some here seem to be. We DID move the football, and were a couple of plays/penalties (Cooley penalty and botched snap) away from putting up 20 points on the Cowboys solid defense. We'll be going up against a defense that is less talented than Dallas, but still solid. TW will have his hands full again as he faces Mario, so he'll need a repeat performance there. The biggest thing is... we have to protect McNasty, find the running game, and get some production from receivers not named Cooley or Moss.

Matt Schaub only attempted five passing attempts in the second half. We didn't change our philosophy. It's just that the running game started working so well at the start of the second half, that we stuck with it. Even when the Colts knew we would run, Foster still gained seven yards a carry. And I guess the Texans' defense is touted as not being as talented as the Cowboys' because we don't have as many big names. Sucks that Cushing is out though.

On top of all of this we need to improve our 3rd down efficiency (3 of 13 for the game!!). If we can improve the run game then that will help this stat and it will hopefully create more opportunities for our other recievers to make an impact on this game.

To me it isn't the yardage that Foster got, it is that he had a slow start and they kept feeding him. He finished with 33 carries. The Cowboys had some success running the ball their first two drives and then two things happened -- 1) The Boys stopped trying to run the ball and threw a bunch of three-step drop passes instead and 2) we tightened our belts a little. The yards got tougher to come-by as the game wore on. Foster is good, but our tackling looks far better than a season ago (not just week 1 but all preseason) and he won't exactly run away from you. He is a power back. I'm more worried about the speed guys who might expose our lack of speed at LB that we see later in the season. For this game I worry more about Johnson having one of his games given what Austin was able to do. You know he isn't going to have another 30-yard performance. I also think their pass rush is underrated, so we are going to have to run the ball more effectively and continue to protect McNabb. I also hope DT gets on the field some on offense and contributes because we can't go the whole season with only Moss and Cooley in the mix.

I have that funny feeling this will be an aerial game.

1} both defenses will be keying on the run, forcing passes, and I don't expect to see any RB's getting over 60 yds, even though I'd like to see CP get a nice 150 yd game outta it!

2} Both teams will be pulling a few tricks out of the hat, so whoever capitalizes has the advantage.

3} The defense that makes the fewest mistakes will win, and by mistakes, I am referring to stupid blown coverages resulting in big plays.

This will be a very entertaining game, and I am thinking it will be a 2 pt win for the Skins, but hoping for a 20 pt win!

Archived