Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SC: Weeding out the suckers – Buffaloed Bills

JimmiJo

Well it certainly hasn't taken long for Redskins Nation to get full of itself, has it? :pfft:

Against a good team, Grossman has 2 pick sixes against him. But I agree that, in Trent Williams, we saw flashes of why Shanahan picked him over Okung. He handled his business and then some.

Well, against the incredible hulk Williams would have given up 12 sacks..... and if Rex throws each of his passes 1/10 of a second slower he would have had 8 picks 6's. and if Brandon Banks ran slower, or if he had cut back left, he doesn't run that back for a TD... boy these what if games sure are fun, and beat actual reality when making these evaluations...

Brandon Banks – Hot

Brandon Banks brings something to the return game sorely lacking over the past five years – speed and the nerve to use it.* Banks demonstrated this Friday with a return that made Redskins nation smile, and Antwaan Randle El jealous.* Banks displayed unnatural quickness on the play, made more impressive after viewing the replay.* Banks saw his route, made his move, and flew by the other players as if they were jogging.* In one play, Banks made the team while establishing Washington as a threat to return it to the house.

I'll hold off before jumping on this bandwagon. For Banks to make it, he will have to establish himself as our punt returner without question. For me that starts with feeling confident that he field punts reliably.

Good punt returners look relaxed when the punt is in the air, then they field the ball cleanly with their fingertips. Banks looked nervous and he fielded the ball with a basket catch, trying to trap it against his chest. On one punt, he bobbled the ball, but it went straight up so he could grab it on the bounce.

I love the speed, but I'll withhold judgment until I see how he handles the job in the preseason games to follow.

The Redskins are largely a veteran team that has been prepared by a veteran coaching staff to perform at a competitive level in 2010.

Compare that to the Bills who have a very young team, without a proven quarterback or recognized defensive playmakers like Orakpo or Haynesworth................

Who really expected Buffalo to come in and kick the Redskins in the pants? :)

The size of the score and certain details such as the open field speed and shiftiness of Brandon Banks for example were pleasant surprises.

But I don't think fans or Shanahan are really that surprised by the end result.

Well, against the incredible hulk Williams would have given up 12 sacks..... and if Rex throws each of his passes 1/10 of a second slower he would have had 8 picks 6's. and if Brandon Banks ran slower, or if he had cut back left, he doesn't run that back for a TD... boy these what if games sure are fun, and beat actual reality when making these evaluations...

Well, see, here's the thing. I wasn't playing the "what if" game so much as relating what I saw in terms of genuine quality of play vs. some of the knee jerk gushing that's been going on. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, which apparently I didn't, judging from your sarcasm.

In terms of quality of play, Rex did, in my opinion, more harm than good. He threw two terrible passes, both of which were of the variety of potential game changing errors. The fact that the Bills' defense was unable to capitalize on them is irrelevant for the purposes of player evaluation, which is what the preseason is all about. He lobbed a 14 point softball up, and the Bills couldn't it it.

In other words, this is the same Rex that threw all those game changing INTs when he was on the Bears. I think I've seen or heard some version of the phrase "this offense seems tailor made for his skills" about a half dozen times in the past couple of days, and I just have to shake my head. Knowing the penchant for quarterback controversy and the irrational love for the backup that seems to run like an uncurable virus through many Redskins fans, I'm surprised we haven't seen a thread calling for Grossman to start.

And yes, I acknowledge that we should everyone some slack because it's ONE PRESEASON GAME!!! Just evaluating, that's all.

As far as Brandon Banks goes, unless I am remembering wrong, he immediately took all his returns to the outside. He got away with it in the 1st preseason game against a terrible team, but that won't work after Labor Day against playoff contenders. Guys are too fast, and east-west runbacks ogten result in illegal blocks. Hopefully, Danny Smith will teach him how to go north, then cut to the outside.

Agree to disagree. All I'm saying is that if the throw was even okay, Hall would never have had a shot at the pick. Your points are not invalid, but Hall didn't do anything on that play that most other corners in the league couldn't have done.

Forgetting that one play, Hall still missed tackles through sheer lack of effort, and that's not a new problem. But nobody talks about that because of the interception. Same thing happened all last year. Hall makes a few lucky interceptions, and for the fans, that somehow excuses 16 weeks of poor tackling and lack of discipline.

I think we need to go over that play again. Hall initially jumped the route beautifully, and had Trent thrown the ball on time when the WR broke his route he would've picked it. He didn't throw it though, because Trent saw Hall jumping the route, and that's why he hesitated. Hall then looked back to find the WR, which was the right thing to do. While this went on, Trent was flushed out and Carriker applied pressure. Trent then panicked and Hall recovered nicely enough to jump the route again for the INT!

I think it's outrageous that anyone could be unhappy about Hall's play there. Nay, disgusting. ;)

lol, and of course no one talks about a smallish DB missing a few arm tackles! If Hall can make INTs like that consistently, I don't care if RBs get by him a few times. He shouldn't be the one making tackles anyway most of the time, that should be for our front 7. Not every CB is a tackling machine. That's why you have something called a safety in your defense. ;)

Again, I think some of us need to go over that play again. Hall was the reason Trent hesitated and allowed Carriker to generate pressure which then lead to the INT. It's not the other way around, Hall didn't get beat because he jumped the route, he had a Safety covering deep behind him... he did exactly what a play-making CB should do.

Archived